Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

No Off-Road Manual Tacomas available in stock

Old 07-16-2013, 06:28 PM   #1
Komrade is on a distinguished road
Komrade's Tacoma Gallery
No Off-Road Manual Tacomas available in stock

Does anyone know why that is the case?

Our dealer said there are none in 5 states (we are in Northern VA)

There are relatively plenty of TRD Sport Tacomas, and a number of used TRD Off Road Tacomas (manual only)
Old 07-16-2013, 06:29 PM   #2
TCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TCprerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Because they sold them all?
Old 07-16-2013, 06:30 PM   #3
MGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MGMTacolover55's Tacoma Gallery
They are switching over to the 2014 run so just wait till September and you should be able to find one
Old 07-16-2013, 06:30 PM   #4
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tostidos's Tacoma Gallery
Any specific cab arrangement? They offer certain models regionally.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:33 PM   #5
No amount of balls on earth can hit you.
Rupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Rupp1's Tacoma Gallery
This is why I bought the first used one I saw.(2010) Wasn't expecting to buy one just driving around in my 2006 SR5 last year, but got lucky and traded in right then and there.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:35 PM   #6
Komrade's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tostidos View Post
Any specific cab arrangement? They offer certain models regionally.
Double Cab.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:36 PM   #7
Komrade's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMTacolover55 View Post
... wait till September and you should be able to find one
At that time I might be tempted to get a 1500 RAM Diesel instead, albeit, in auto.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:37 PM   #8
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tostidos's Tacoma Gallery
Thats an awfully big contrast between the two
Old 07-16-2013, 06:40 PM   #9
Komrade's Tacoma Gallery
Definitely.. Actually wanted to downsize and use rail racks for when I need the bigger bed (e.g. lumber), but if it comes with a bigger bed, better MPG, and diesels hold value well. Anyway, don't want to start anything here, especially as a newbie. Neither 2014 Tacoma, nor 2014 Rams are yet available.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:32 PM   #10
Last Straw of Brittfartikus
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komrade View Post
Definitely.. Actually wanted to downsize and use rail racks for when I need the bigger bed (e.g. lumber), but if it comes with a bigger bed, better MPG, and diesels hold value well. Anyway, don't want to start anything here, especially as a newbie. Neither 2014 Tacoma, nor 2014 Rams are yet available.
Welcome to TW, and don't worry about starting anything.

It sounds like you may be happier with another Ram. Why do you want an MT in a Tacoma, but an AT in a Ram? The Tacoma's AT is generally considered to be a fine transmission, possibly even better than the MT. Aside from the transmission, there's a fair amount of difference between those two options. If you plan to haul or tow a lot of weight, the Ram may be a better choice. There's always the Tundra, if you aren't set on a diesel in a full size truck.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:00 PM   #11
Komrade's Tacoma Gallery
I prefer manual. I don't trust automatics in their decision making, nor reliability. Plus, I prefer things simple.

I really don't appreciate that Tacoma's AT has higher MPG than MT, but not sufficiently for me to consider switching. Of course with AT you can also get the longer bed, but not really long enough. I would still buy ladder racks to extend its utility.

I would, however, consider AT if in return I get 30MPG and durability of a diesel engine.
My trailer is just under 5200 dry, but has been parked since I got it at my weekend spot. I have towed some equipment with my current truck, and it wasn't particularly enjoyable (even though it's an HD truck, it's not that powerful due to age).

My current truck is too unreliable and I don't drive the Mustang often enough to keep it and I decided to get rid of my Mustang and my old truck for a new truck.

I am a relative newbie to trucks, and have known absolutely nothing about differences until about a year ago when I bought a piece of land and required something to haul junk with (and just to make it there) I really didn't want to consider Toyotas, but there are really very few options in manual these days (Nissan Frontier, Toyota Tacoma or Ram 2500+ Diesel).

Tacoma with MPG comparable to my Mustang GT and sufficient towing and plenty of utility with some customization, seemed appealing enough, decorative fly catchers are not though.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:21 PM   #12
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komrade View Post
I prefer manual. I don't trust automatics in their decision making, nor reliability. Plus, I prefer things simple.

I really don't appreciate that Tacoma's AT has higher MPG than MT, but not sufficiently for me to consider switching. Of course with AT you can also get the longer bed, but not really long enough. I would still buy ladder racks to extend it's utility.

I would, however, consider AT if in return I get 30MPG and durability of a diesel engine.

AT vehicles commonly get better fuel economy than their equivalent MT versions; the overdrive gear ratio of the AT keeps the rpms lower. One TW member (Wyatt/awsumdc) spends his days cracking open transmissions, and he's spoken well of the AT. Btw, you can still manually shift the AT.

My trailer is just under 5200 dry, but has been parked since I got it at my weekend spot. I have towed some equipment with my current truck, and it wasn't particularly enjoyable (even though it's an HD truck, it's not that powerful due to age).

My current truck is too unreliable and I don't drive the Mustang often enough to keep it and I decided to get rid of my Mustang and my old truck for a new truck.

I am a relative newbie to trucks, and have known absolutely nothing about differences until about a year ago when I bought a piece of land and required something to haul junk with (and just to make it there) I really didn't want to consider Toyotas, but there are really very few options in manual these days (Nissan Frontier, Toyota Tacoma or Ram 2500+ Diesel).

Tacoma with MPG comparable to my Mustang GT and sufficient towing and plenty of utility with some customization, seemed appealing enough, decorative fly catchers are not though.
If you plan to tow that trailer much, I think you'll be happier with something bigger than a Tacoma. You can check out the Towing section for more information, but I think you'll find most people would recommend against something that big and heavy, even if it's just within the towing limits of the Tacoma.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:31 PM   #13
tomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tomtom's Tacoma Gallery
According to Edmunds, 3.9% of car sales in 2011 were manual transmissions. 2012 looks to be an up year with MTs accounting for 7% of sales.

manual transmissions are considered by some to be going the way of the dinosaur. I'm hanging on to my 1st Taco as long as I can.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:10 AM   #14
MGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Dude if you want to deal with the aftreatment system in the ram go on ahead it is not worth buying something we all know will have issues it is a chrysler product after all
Old 07-17-2013, 01:17 AM   #15

wut?
Old 07-17-2013, 01:32 AM   #16

I was referring to the op wanting a diesel ram and I stated it will have issues
Old 07-17-2013, 01:45 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMTacolover55 View Post
I was referring to the op wanting a diesel ram and I stated it will have issues
I was hoping for clarification about "the aftreatment system in the ram". What issues will the Ram have?

Btw, a Tacoma "will have issues" towing a 5200 lb (dry weight) camper.
Old 07-17-2013, 02:37 AM   #18
2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: chris
2008taco's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah a trailer of that weight needs something bigger if you're going to be towing it often. As for the AT vs MT, the AT has a better reliability record than the MT in the 2nd gen tacoma. Also the gearing tends to not be low enough in the MT, and you're really going to notice that towing that large of a trailer.
Old 07-17-2013, 02:37 AM   #19
2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: chris
2008taco's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah a trailer of that weight needs something bigger if you're going to be towing it often. As for the AT vs MT, the AT has a better reliability record than the MT in the 2nd gen tacoma. Also the gearing tends to not be low enough in the MT, and you're really going to notice that towing that large of a trailer.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:26 AM   #20
Komrade's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
I was hoping for clarification about "the aftreatment system in the ram". What issues will the Ram have?

Btw, a Tacoma "will have issues" towing a 5200 lb (dry weight) camper.
Afreatment system is an after treatment system on diesel engines as required by the EPA since 2008 to keep diesel "clean". They have something similar on the Ford diesel as well. It requires 10-18 gallons of "urea" liquid to function (chemical breaktown), which I believe last something like 10K miles. It's a system that all Diesel enthusiasts love to hate, as it obviously complicates the fuel and exhaust systems with more parts and sensors, and also why pre-2008 Cummins models hold value very well. I don't really know what common issues the system has, but I am sure it had some kinks to work out in earlier models. I did look at a used model to avoid it myself, but sort of gave up on it, as trucks are too rare. Apparently Tacoma's with off-road package with MT are even more difficult to come by.

I don't plan on towing often, nor far, and I agree if I was, Tacoma is probably not a good choice. I do forsee, with such a small bed, towing a trailer though. You can only put so much on a racks, and only "rackable" materials.