1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How to move USB plug to console with AUX intact

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by RobAF, Jul 16, 2013.

1. Jul 16, 2013 at 9:35 PM
    RobAF

RobAF [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD Double Cab
    I was looking into this before I even got my 2013 Tacoma a couple weeks ago and didn't find much on a how to with pics. Others seem to have the same concern I do with music sources being out in the open. I don't want to keep my 160gb ipod with my entire music library in plain sight. Console or glove box would be much better. So here you go:

There are a few threads that were very helpful:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/audio-video/177642-usb-aux-input-12v-outlet-console-write-up.html (This one is very similar to mine, but not exactly what I was looking for)

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2n...-relocated-extended-cable-aux-audio-port.html

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/242072-moving-usb-console-glove-box.html

12SuperWhiteDC's post was extremely helpful on the last link. This is a great starting point. This is what I ended up with.

[​IMG]

*I removed the face because I'm OCD and didn't want an empty spot in my new rig while waiting for the blank. Removing the face is not necessary.

I'll start with the AUX. I purchased a blank inserts: 55539-52060-CO and 55539-52060-BO. They are both black, but one does not match the other installed ones exactly. Again, OCD. And extra $3 not to be annoyed was worth it. I also purchased a 1/8" or 3.5mm panel mount plug. $3 for a pack of two at radio shack. Also, the USB panel mount extension that I will get into later.

[​IMG]

I drilled a hole into the blank, found a 1/8" TRS M-M cable, cut one end off, and soldered the wires to the plug. Throw that into the blank and you get this:

[​IMG]

Onto the USB. You can go the easy route and just get a USB M-F extension or even a straight ipod cable and run it to your glove box and be done. Or if you want to run it to your console and have it look pretty you can purchase this or something like it:

http://www.l-com.com/usb-usb-cable-waterproof-panel-mount-type-a-female-standard-type-a-male-10m

I removed the console. Good guide at the end of this video on how to do that here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEcowYsoW-c

Got the console off, drilled a hole (many options on placement). With the USB extension I got, I recommend a 3/4" drill bit. I only had a 1/2" bit and faked a 3/4" hole. It was a little oval shaped. I got a couple 3/4" washers so the USB plug wouldn't stick out so much into the console.

[​IMG]

Getting that usb cable up to the original plug was a little annoying. With the help of a wire coat hanger and electrical tape I got there. Both cables plugged in:

[​IMG]

Before you go putting everything back together, I recommend testing everything.

[​IMG]

Final product:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another note: You can purchase an OEM aux only plug that are on pre '12 Tacomas (not sure when they put the aux plug in). However, they are $70+. I stopped looking into that option when I saw the price. $8 is way better. I think this looks good, just no cover that says "aux" on it. Not sure of the wiring on the back of the OEM plugs.

Hope someone finds this useful!

Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
  2. Jul 16, 2013 at 9:51 PM
    Jerez

Jerez SoCal LED Dash Swap

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Diamond Bar/Ontario, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD 2wd converted to 4wd
    Estock
    Nice write up.
    The aux came in the 2009-2011 then USB on the 2012+
    $70?! Where were you looking? Iirc, Toyota quoted me like $40-50ish

3. Sep 10, 2013 at 10:23 AM
    Greenbean

Greenbean B.S. Goodwrench

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Western NC
    Vehicle:
    2015 AC 2.7L 5-spd 4x4 Utility Package
    Very useful yes,

Of the two part numbers you listed,

Which one was the perfect match to the rest I am in need of one.

TY :D

4. Sep 13, 2013 at 6:50 PM
    RobAF

RobAF [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD Double Cab
    Not sure. The numbers on the part don't match anything that looked close to the part number. I got both just to be sure. They looked like the same color when I got them (black is black, right?), but when they're next to the others you can tell a difference.

**So the actual part number is on the insert... Just not the CO/BO

Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
  5. Sep 17, 2015 at 7:30 PM
    -dustin

-dustin Well-Known Member

Member:
    Leander, TX
    Vehicle:
    2020SWDCSBTRDPROFTW
    Sub'd

6. Sep 17, 2015 at 7:39 PM
    Poindexter