LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

removing mudflaps

Old 04-01-2009, 07:56 PM   #21
JAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shed
JAG's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemytaco View Post
i think this would make my truck look a little higher
It is funny you say that because I just took off my step bars to paint them. I had them off for a day and everytime I looked at the truck it made it seem like it was lifted.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:13 AM   #22
Barry J will become famous soon enoughBarry J will become famous soon enough

Barry J's Tacoma Gallery
Does your tires rub on those "JcWhitney" flaps
Old 04-02-2009, 09:40 AM   #23
bass turds
Veccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Veccster's Tacoma Gallery
Lift your truck and you won't have to worry about ripping them off on a speed bump.

I removed the front only but I also have side rails. I like the 4x4 on the back ones.

The plastic rivets do suck. I use a small screwdriver to pry the top out. Once it extends, it releases the inner part and just falls out. If you don't extend it and release the inner part, it will come out with a yank but is likely to break. I wanted to put them back in so I tried to keep them in tact. Only broke the first one until I saw how they work.

Also, they do not fit tight when put back in. I guess you could find a washer or something but I just left them loose.

You also have to remove a few screws but that is obvious...for most.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:15 AM   #24
Armyballer will become famous soon enoughArmyballer will become famous soon enough

Army: Active duty Major
Armyballer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemytaco View Post
how hard is it to remove the front mudflaps?....i think this would make my truck look a little higher and i would have to worry a little less when off roading in my prerunner haha
Went off roading in Germany and they both came/tore off pretty easy.
Old 12-26-2009, 12:30 PM   #25
SHHHH, this is interesting
07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed

07TacoRidah's Tacoma Gallery
I know this is an old thread, but my little cousin has a Pre-Runner and on the drivers side front mudflap, it's broken, I think he cracked it somehow and just ripped it off manually thinking it would make things better for the time being. Yesterday he took the broken mudflap off, although the passenger side (which wasn't damaged) isn't coming off as it should. I am not really sure, but below and a bit behind the wheel well and fender flair he put in one of the plastic rivets to hold the inner well. I have to snap shots of it, but hopefully I am explaining it right, if not it will be explained from the pictures.

Now from what he tells me, there is supposed to be a bolt that goes there, not the rivet, but when he tried to put in the bolt, it kept turning, and just fell off when he stopped. I am thinking to put in a retaining tab (the ones that aftermarket speakers have Alpine/Pioneer/etc.) I have the base model access cab and I'm not really sure what is supposed to be there. I only have the mudflaps in the back.

"The plastic rivets do suck. I use a small screwdriver to pry the top out. Once it extends, it releases the inner part and just falls out. If you don't extend it and release the inner part, it will come out with a yank but is likely to break. I wanted to put them back in so I tried to keep them in tact. Only broke the first one until I saw how they work.

Also, they do not fit tight when put back in. I guess you could find a washer or something but I just left them loose."

quote - Veccster

on his (my little cousins taco), it's loose like Veccster stated, is that okay? I was there at his house last night and could jiggle the well some. The well isn't sagging into the tire or anything, but it's bothering my little cousin to the point where I know he will most likely end up breaking something trying to fix it.
Old 12-26-2009, 03:39 PM   #26
alx_alx_69 is a jewel in the roughalx_alx_69 is a jewel in the roughalx_alx_69 is a jewel in the rough
Army: 3rd SFG
Name: Alex
alx_alx_69's Tacoma Gallery
Take em off, it looks better
sell those mofos right here on TW, and get something nice, I got some of those little side mirrors that help you see in your blind spot, a california brush being that my truck is black, and some husky weather mats
Old 12-26-2009, 05:00 PM   #27
SHHHH, this is interesting
07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed

07TacoRidah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by alx_alx_69 View Post
Take em off, it looks better
sell those mofos right here on TW, and get something nice, I got some of those little side mirrors that help you see in your blind spot, a california brush being that my truck is black, and some husky weather mats
He told me about the shorter ones, I am not sure where he is going to be getting them from but I know he still wants flaps, just not flimsy OEM's. Hopefully he can sell the back ones, and maybe someone that just needs the passenger front side so he can get some cash for the new ones. I hit him up about it, he sucks at forums and such. Closest to a forum he's really been on is Facebook.
Old 12-27-2009, 04:56 AM   #28
canoe is on a distinguished road
canoe's Tacoma Gallery
I accidentally ripped off the rear, driver-side mudflap on my 05 Pre-Runner, so if you or anyone else has a unwanted spare I can buy, please let me know. I definitely would consider purchasing an after-market pair, if anyone has a recommendation. Thank you. mousecreek at gmail dot com
Old 12-27-2009, 08:19 PM   #29
Make mine a Double!
skistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud of

Navy:
Name: Mike
skistoy's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...flap-trim.html

Just trim them to your desired length, it was so easy, took less than 10 minutes.
Old 12-30-2009, 03:40 AM   #30
canoe is on a distinguished road
canoe's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the reference pics. Unfortunately I need to replace the one that got damaged prior to doing any trimming. Maybe I need to look at after-market mud flaps, rather than pay an exorbitant price for OEM replacement(s).
Old 03-07-2010, 10:49 PM   #31
FLYNN LIVES!
7A7ER is one of the sharper tools in the shed7A7ER is one of the sharper tools in the shed7A7ER is one of the sharper tools in the shed7A7ER is one of the sharper tools in the shed7A7ER is one of the sharper tools in the shed7A7ER is one of the sharper tools in the shed7A7ER is one of the sharper tools in the shed7A7ER is one of the sharper tools in the shed7A7ER is one of the sharper tools in the shed7A7ER is one of the sharper tools in the shed7A7ER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Helicopter Armament Mechanic
7A7ER's Tacoma Gallery
Removed Mud Flaps Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by netman1969 View Post
If you want to put them back on later, I wouldnt recommend the "quick yank" method on the fastners. Plus, those are nice to put back into the 3 holes they leave in the fender flare. The fastners actually have a top cap that can be gently pryed up with a flat head screwdriver which releases the fastner and it comes right out. I pulled mine off and put the screws and fastners back into their original holes to keep water/road grime/etc out and just in case I ever go retarded and want to put them back on.

Thanks for the tip Netman! Also, as pointed out in a diff mud flap thread, if they have as much dirt in them as mine did, they're very stiff to remove, and had rather break, lol.

But those removal and replacement fears subsided, I went on to remove my mud flaps, as suggested by my Off Roadin' cousin Akira.

My 10mm and flat head screwdriver tip in my Leatherman worked great just like you guys have said, and soon the mud flaps were off leaving areas that looked something like this:

First I washed and rinsed the area and was left with this:

Ha-Haaa! Time to break out the not-so-secret weapon!

And these are the results here:

And here...

Now I just to need to order some of that swell pinstripe tape that Longbow was talking about, in something at least akin to Rad Red...

Its not pictured, but I did go ahead and put all the screws back, as suggested and I even put the only 4 good pin/clips back in the most upper outboard holes for each well. I think someone suggested a washer to make the pins fit tight and so I used some I had laying around, just need to paint them black and they'll look like they were born there! Will look for some replacements at AutoZone next time I'm there to fill the rest of the holes.

Now for the comparison of the Before and After Photos!

BEFORE

Ta-Dah!

Thanks for being here guys n gals! I love moddin my Truck, and I love this Forum! You Guys Rock!
Old 03-08-2010, 06:54 AM   #32
nomad20012 is on a distinguished road
nomad20012's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't do it, it may void your warranty.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:59 AM   #33
sethr21785 is a splendid one to beholdsethr21785 is a splendid one to beholdsethr21785 is a splendid one to beholdsethr21785 is a splendid one to beholdsethr21785 is a splendid one to beholdsethr21785 is a splendid one to behold

Air Force: Missile Maint Tech, 2 Muns
Name: Seth
sethr21785's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad20012 View Post
I wouldn't do it, it may void your warranty.

I dont think so..........
Old 03-22-2011, 10:31 AM   #34
fltacoma is a splendid one to beholdfltacoma is a splendid one to beholdfltacoma is a splendid one to beholdfltacoma is a splendid one to beholdfltacoma is a splendid one to beholdfltacoma is a splendid one to behold

Air Force: Munitions systems craftsman
Name: daniel
fltacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I just took mine off a couple minutes ago, and it looks much cleaner!