Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

removing mudflaps

Old 02-28-2009, 10:49 PM   #1
ilovemytaco is on a distinguished road
ilovemytaco's Tacoma Gallery
removing mudflaps

how hard is it to remove the front mudflaps?....i think this would make my truck look a little higher and i would have to worry a little less when off roading in my prerunner haha
Old 02-28-2009, 10:50 PM   #2
╒╪╕
MyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
MyToyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MyToyTaco
it was real easy. couple tabs and a couple bolts if i remember right
Old 02-28-2009, 10:50 PM   #3
Founder Socaltacomas.com
SocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve-0
SocalMan22's Tacoma Gallery
few bolts and plastic rivets very easy.
Old 03-01-2009, 06:20 PM   #6
can i put them back on?
Old 03-01-2009, 06:23 PM   #8
Panda Jerk
THXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
THXEY's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmtnbik View Post
If you have to ask, you shouldn't be using tools around your truck
hahahahahahaha!!!
Old 03-01-2009, 06:24 PM   #9
Quote:
If you have to ask, you shouldn't be using tools around your truck
well im "ok" with tools haha but i was asking cuz i heard people kinda had to break them off to the point where u cant put them back
Old 03-01-2009, 06:25 PM   #10
FMLYHM
zmtnbik has a spectacular aura aboutzmtnbik has a spectacular aura aboutzmtnbik has a spectacular aura about

zmtnbik's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemytaco View Post
well im "ok" with tools haha but i was asking cuz i heard people kinda had to break them off to the point where u cant put them back
No, they break because they are too damn long and get caught on everything.

I challenge anybody to "break" one trying to remove and reinstall.
You may be thinking of the clips for the over fenders, those break just by looking at them.
Old 03-01-2009, 06:31 PM   #11
Hey guys watch THIS!
fasn8dave is a splendid one to beholdfasn8dave is a splendid one to beholdfasn8dave is a splendid one to beholdfasn8dave is a splendid one to beholdfasn8dave is a splendid one to beholdfasn8dave is a splendid one to beholdfasn8dave is a splendid one to behold

fasn8dave's Tacoma Gallery
I just used a metric socket and a quick yank to pull the plastic fasteners out. Did it at the camp site at the Uwharrie meet last Nov. 5 minutes or so...
Old 03-01-2009, 06:43 PM   #12
Quote:
No, they break because they are too damn long and get caught on everything.

I challenge anybody to "break" one trying to remove and reinstall.
You may be thinking of the clips for the over fenders, those break just by looking at them.
hahahahahahaahahahahahaha
over fenders?
Old 03-01-2009, 07:23 PM   #13
captain_94704 is on a distinguished road

captain_94704's Tacoma Gallery
The easiest way to remove the mud flaps is to go offroading, slip into a hole. Then when you back out the mudflap will get stuck between the dirt and the tire. Very soon after there will be one less mud flap on the tacoma. Now I have 3 mudflaps.

Old 04-01-2009, 08:46 AM   #14
canoe is on a distinguished road
canoe's Tacoma Gallery
I anyone removes their mudflaps and would like to recycle them (on another Taco), please contact me. I need a driver's side rear mud flap that got ripped off by a curb. Your assistance is greatly appreciated.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:05 AM   #15
netman1969 will become famous soon enoughnetman1969 will become famous soon enough

Air Force: Air Force Security Police NCO
Name: Dave
netman1969's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to netman1969
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasn8dave View Post
I just used a metric socket and a quick yank to pull the plastic fasteners out. Did it at the camp site at the Uwharrie meet last Nov. 5 minutes or so...
If you want to put them back on later, I wouldnt recommend the "quick yank" method on the fastners. Plus, those are nice to put back into the 3 holes they leave in the fender flare. The fastners actually have a top cap that can be gently pryed up with a flat head screwdriver which releases the fastner and it comes right out. I pulled mine off and put the screws and fastners back into their original holes to keep water/road grime/etc out and just in case I ever go retarded and want to put them back on.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:22 AM   #16
dougmays is just really nicedougmays is just really nicedougmays is just really nicedougmays is just really nice
Name: Doug
dougmays's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to dougmays
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemytaco View Post
can i put them back on?
most likely you will not be able to reuse the plastic rivets once you take them off..they break easily...only one survived me taking the 2 fronts off. i was able to find similar ones at pepboys. i can give you the actual details if you want..ill have to find the package.

also here are some smaller flaps i got off of JC Whitney

Old 04-01-2009, 10:41 AM   #17
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
This is what I really need to know. What are some recomendations for aftermarket mud flaps? I might (too lazy to check for sure) be required by law to have mud flaps on so I want some flexable aftermarket flaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougmays View Post
most likely you will not be able to reuse the plastic rivets once you take them off..they break easily...only one survived me taking the 2 fronts off. i was able to find similar ones at pepboys. i can give you the actual details if you want..ill have to find the package.

also here are some smaller flaps i got off of JC Whitney

Old 04-01-2009, 11:17 AM   #18
dougmays is just really nicedougmays is just really nicedougmays is just really nicedougmays is just really nice
here are the ones i bought. there is a large and medium size...i got the medium. if i could do it again i'd probably get the large. its like an inch and a half longer.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/ROADSPORT-R...1900_10101.jcw
Old 04-01-2009, 03:49 PM   #19
Barry J will become famous soon enoughBarry J will become famous soon enough

Barry J's Tacoma Gallery
Are those mud flaps molded to fit into the wheel well , like the stock ones, or are they flat
Barry
Old 04-01-2009, 07:18 PM   #20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry J View Post
Are those mud flaps molded to fit into the wheel well , like the stock ones, or are they flat
Barry
they are flat...but there is a bevel on the edge, as seen in the photo that aligns nicely on the edge of the wheel well.