1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Suspension Advice, Suggestions

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Evans381, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Jul 18, 2013 at 8:03 AM
    Evans381

Evans381 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ty
    Rome, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner
    Toytec ultimate coilovers. 5% Window tint. 40% windshield. Kenwood DDX372BT Monitor. JL Audio 12w0v3 subwoofer set in ported Q-Bomb box. 20" Gear Alloy Recoil wheels wrapped in Cooper Zeon LTZ tires
    Hey guys well I'm finally ready to replace my suspension with something bigger and more comfortable. I currently have a daystar spacer on the front and nothing else. My 275/55 terra grapplers are almost shot so its time for new tires too so I'm wanting to replace all at once but I'm also wanting to go with a slightly taller tire. I was originally gonna do the basic 5100's up front but Amber at toytec said 2.5'' would be max and I'd like to have more. I really like the maxtrac spindles even though they are a little out of my price range but if someone knows of any group buys, deals or someone selling some kits please PLEASE let me know. My truck was a gift from my parents on my 16th bday, it just hit 100 thousand miles and I plan on keeping it for many years to come. Another note I am also strongly considering replacing the chrome wheels with black. I would really appreciate any input and suggestions on what you guys would do if you were in my position. Thanks in advance. Suggestions GO!

2. Jul 21, 2013 at 11:20 PM
    Fluffymonkey

Fluffymonkey Token

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 Trd Sport DC, 07 DC sr5, 03 Prerunner
    2003: Stock 2007: Avid Offroad sliders, 30% front tint, bed mat, Truxedo low-pro qt tonneu cover, aero turbine 2525 muffler w/ 8'' tip, AR25 Resonator, 16x8 Dick Cepek DC-1 w/ 265/75 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, 2010 headlights, ome 884 coils with .5'' top plate spacer, OME sport front shocks, bilsten 5100s rear, 2'' aal, locking gas cap, LR ucas, Viper 2-way remote start, afe drop in filter, Rocky locking bike mounts, gear chest, scangauge, pop n lock tailgate lock 2013: most things transferred over from my 07, 5100s @ .85 + eibachs and Toytec tps for 3'' front lift, wheelers progressive aal w/ overload; compustar 2-way remote start; Antennex shorty antenna, pop n lock tailgate lock with programmable key, seat covers, Toyota's crappy all-weather floor mats (should have got Husky's or Weathertechs), TRD skid plate, led light pods mounted in front bumper valence w/ Eyourlife wireless harness and remote, led bed lights, light pods mounted in bed, Devil Horns emblem from Diaz Fabrications, rear facing pod lights in bed, under seat lights,
    How much lift are you looking to get? 3'' kits are extremely common and come in a variety of possibilities. Toytec sells the 1/2'' top plate spacer which will give you about 3/4'' lift on top of the 5100s if you go that route. Keep alignment issues in mind too. When you get much over 2'' your truck will become harder to align and you may have to start looking at some aftermarket upper control arms (which can eat into your budget). There is a group buy going on right now for the maxtrac spindes and they aren't all that much. What's your budget? And a big yes to the black rims on white truck. Good luck and happy modding.

3. Jul 21, 2013 at 11:22 PM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    not so low, not so slow 2006 6 lug
    stockish
  4. Jul 22, 2013 at 1:03 AM
    raycie

raycie Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oahu, HI
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB / 2016 4R Trail
    In need of $$$
    +1 - OME 884/885s with a top plate..

Not sure too many ppl would even recommend doing the 5100s@2.5 and then adding a top plate on that.. It may get the job done, but that is a very compressed spring..

5. Jul 22, 2013 at 6:37 PM
    Evans381

Member:
    First Name:
    Ty
    Rome, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner
    Toytec ultimate coilovers. 5% Window tint. 40% windshield. Kenwood DDX372BT Monitor. JL Audio 12w0v3 subwoofer set in ported Q-Bomb box. 20" Gear Alloy Recoil wheels wrapped in Cooper Zeon LTZ tires
    Ok great input, I really am leaning towards the spindles especially now you said there's a group buy on them. Few questions tho. The reason I was avoiding the toytec 3'' was I really am trying to avoid buying new uca. If I do the maxtrac spindles nothing else is needed correct? I am going to get new shocks tho just because they're needed up front.

6. Jul 22, 2013 at 6:46 PM
    Evans381

Member:
    First Name:
    Ty
    Rome, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner
    Let me just give you the timeline of my truck. It was bought new in 06 couple years later parents put the wheels and tires on at factory ride height. I knew then I was going to lift it. Shortly after I heard about the TSB suspension recall and my truck was on the list. So I had Toyota replace all 4 shocks with brand new TRD shocks and the new 4 leaf pack for FREE. I was pumped and even though I wanted the 3'' lift I didn't have the money and I figured why not get some use out of my new free shocks... I put the daystar top plate spacer on and now I'm here....3 years later. 100,000 miles. Paid for and ready for a slight overhaul.

7. Jul 23, 2013 at 10:40 AM
    raycie

raycie Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oahu, HI
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB / 2016 4R Trail
    In need of $$$
    There will almost always be something else needed.. lol..

Technically you do not need anything else if you are doing spindles.. The stock UCAs will work perfectly.. BUT..

1. I have read that you will need either wheel spacers or new rims.. The new spindles will rub on a stock OEM rim.
    2. You will probably need to address your rear height. Most trucks need anywhere from 1.75-2.5" of lift in the front to be level. At 4", you will be nose high.. You could do a block (bad), 2" aal (o.k), or Dakars (with or without the added dakar AAL)..

Products Discussed in

To Top