Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Spring Cable/Clock Spring Recall Issue

Old 07-19-2013, 07:57 AM   #1
bowhuntingaddict is on a distinguished road
bowhuntingaddict's Tacoma Gallery
Spring Cable/Clock Spring Recall Issue

So I have a 2005 toyota tacoma without any audio controls on the steering wheel. I took my vehicle to my local toyota dealership yesterday becuase the airbag light was on. They told me that there was a short in my spiral cable. I noticed there was a recall on this particular problem, so I asked the dealer and I apparently had it fixed last year. They said that the fix only covered the labor and not the part. Does the recall cover the replacement spiral cable or is there anything I can do to not get hosed with this fix???
Old 07-19-2013, 07:59 AM   #2
aka Frank Gallagher...
Jay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Jay
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhuntingaddict View Post
So I have a 2005 toyota tacoma without any audio controls on the steering wheel. I took my vehicle to my local toyota dealership yesterday becuase the airbag light was on. They told me that there was a short in my spiral cable. I noticed there was a recall on this particular problem, so I asked the dealer and I apparently had it fixed last year. They said that the fix only covered the labor and not the part. Does the recall cover the replacement spiral cable or is there anything I can do to not get hosed with this fix???
My dealer did the whole fix for free, no questions. Go to another dealer if you can.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:01 AM   #3
LRGRNR
Sandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sandman614's Tacoma Gallery
The dealer I went to first dicked me around and tried to give me someone elses part after 2 days of waiting. They showed me the box and part number with the other persons name on it. I wouldn't put it past that dealership to put in old, non-fixed, working parts in vehicles.

Try another dealership.

Take it up with the manager and then corporate. It's a shitty part, it's a safety recall, they should take care of it.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:14 AM   #4
So the recall does cover the actual spiral cable replacement part?
Old 07-19-2013, 08:14 AM   #5
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman614 View Post
Try another dealership.

Take it up with the manager and then corporate. It's a shitty part, it's a safety recall, they should take care of it.
x2, it's a safety recall, it shouldn't cost you a single penny.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:15 AM   #6
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So the recall does cover the actual spiral cable replacement part?
Yes, the recall covers parts and labor.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:18 AM   #7
wlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 72nd Security Forces, Tinker AFB
Name: William
wlmuncy's Tacoma Gallery
Tell them you want that in writing that a recall does not cover the cost of the part. Then explain you plan to send that letter to Toyota Corp.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:37 AM   #8
OK thank you guys, I'm on the phone right now with toyota, who is supposed to be explaining the situation with my dealership. This should be interesting. If that doesn't work I may be off to a different dealership
Old 07-19-2013, 09:42 AM   #9
Calling corporate seemed to work. They're fixing it free of charge! Just another reminder of what a little research can do
Old 07-19-2013, 09:42 AM   #10
LRGRNR
Sandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sandman614's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Calling corporate seemed to work. They're fixing it free of charge! Just another reminder of what a little research can do
Old 07-19-2013, 09:44 AM   #11

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
And also a reminder of how much some dealerships are really out to screw their customers... Glad this worked out for you!