Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Stuck Tacoma - Front Lockers?

Old 03-01-2009, 10:32 AM   #1
mgord will become famous soon enoughmgord will become famous soon enough
mgord's Tacoma Gallery
Stuck Tacoma - Front Lockers?

Looking for any advice on Front Lockers. I'm new to the locker game but very handy with a wrench. Can anyone recommend front lockers that won't break the bank and the warranty as well? ARB? LSD? I would only use these part time and am looking more for a limited slip option vs a full-time locker.

I got stuck this weekend on a very icy road (thanks to snowmobilers) trying to get to my back packing destination. I put the tires in the ditch on purpose because the other side was not an option. I was able to travel down the side a few hundred feet in 4 low with the rear locked. If I had front lockers I think I could have made it all the way down. A tow truck with chains on all fours came and fished my but out by backing up all the way and giving me a tug ($200). I carry a winch and tow ropes but the trees were too far away.

Please be specific and where to buy.

And yes that is a home built camper which I slept in all night with my son. We got stuck a 9pm and pulled out at 10am.

Thanks.

Old 03-01-2009, 10:39 AM   #2
Bearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Bunch-O-Bullshit
Bearskill's Tacoma Gallery
How much does that camper weigh? Im trying to resist, but.................
WTF? Insted of a locker, take that 300 lbs of lumber off your back end! Damn!
Im sorry, to each his own. If you like it it's your truck. Wait Im losing it again, aaahhh
WTF is on the back of your truck?!?! It doesn't even fit!
Old 03-01-2009, 10:46 AM   #3
UnderWater Monopoly Champion
TicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: F-15 Crew-Chief
Name: Anastatia Beaverhausen
TicTacOma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to TicTacOma
So you'd do different with your Bear Skills? (hee hee)
Old 03-01-2009, 11:02 AM   #4
I got fisted
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
im not sure if you locked the front, if it wouldnt void any warrenty. You may want to consult with toyota for that. Also, where in harrisburg are ya? I usually go up there for the All Truck Nat's in August..Some beautiful country up there
Old 03-01-2009, 11:08 AM   #5
sonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nice

sonjay's Tacoma Gallery
I would say pretty much the only option for the front would be an ARB air locker, I don't even know of any other companies that make a front locker for our trucks? Maybe Chris4x4 might know of some others. The nice thing about the ARB is its selectable, like your rear e-locker, but uses air instead. Of course they are not cheap, $800-$1000, plus install and setup, and you will need an air compressor to engage them.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:25 AM   #6
Snipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Snipe's Tacoma Gallery
You might want to look into a set of chains, maybe wouldn't have slid off in the first place if iron were on at least the back since these new Tacoma's don't have much room for front chains.
If you had a pair with you by the looks of the pic you could have gotten a tire chain on that left rear, since that diff is locked, it a good chance you would have gotten out.

Tow trucks suck
Old 03-01-2009, 11:29 AM   #7
silver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: COIL
silver07taco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to silver07taco
Im not sure if a front locker whould have helper out out any in that spot but im not 100%, As far as lockers your goin to want a locker you can turn on when you need it and off when you dont, ARB is the best one I know of But there not cheap and your goin to have to have a on board air to run it.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:30 AM   #8
mgord's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the info.

I looked at the ARB setup. Expensive!

I will have a pair of chains in the top of the camper next time along with my winch.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:33 AM   #9
silver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: COIL
silver07taco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to silver07taco
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgord View Post
I looked at the ARB setup. Expensive!

I will have a pair of chains in the top of the camper next time along with my winch.
You have a winch might want to look into a line extension or one of them anchors.
http://www.pullpal.com/quotes.html
Old 03-01-2009, 12:50 PM   #10
nvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nvdeserted's Tacoma Gallery
Chains would have solved that problem... the only problem with chains is that you need to have them on before you get stuck! I've seen snow/ice make even the most serious rigs useless without chains.

Bummer about the winch. We have the same problem here, not many trees in the desert. You might want to invest in an extra 100'+ of nylon cable to keep onboard for the next time that happens. Nylon cable will always be cheaper than a locker, and pay for itself in towtruck calls.
Old 03-01-2009, 12:58 PM   #11
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonjay View Post
I would say pretty much the only option for the front would be an ARB air locker, I don't even know of any other companies that make a front locker for our trucks? Maybe Chris4x4 might know of some others. The nice thing about the ARB is its selectable, like your rear e-locker, but uses air instead. Of course they are not cheap, $800-$1000, plus install and setup, and you will need an air compressor to engage them.
I was thinking the same. An ARB locker.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:36 PM   #12
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
An ARB is all I know of for the front end of these trucks. They're quite spendy though. curious, how much cable was on your winch? A synthetic extension rope would be a good investment in this case. Otherwise, definitely get some chains.
Old 03-01-2009, 02:45 PM   #15
mgord's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the info on the emergency tire chains.
Old 03-01-2009, 03:01 PM   #16
nvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nvdeserted's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgord View Post
Thanks for the info on the emergency tire chains.
I've never used them but I can think of about 15 times I wish I had had them. Definitely gonna order a pair.

Also, that link is to the E-chains for 265/70-16 size tire/wheel. Make sure to go back and select the right size tire/wheel before ordering.
Old 03-01-2009, 03:18 PM   #18
mgord's Tacoma Gallery
For all those interested about the camper check out the original thread.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/new...lt-camper.html
Old 03-01-2009, 03:28 PM   #20
mgord's Tacoma Gallery
Yes to the space heater and insulated. I've been out in 10 degree weather sleeping like a baby.