Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

6 inch suspension lift

Old 07-22-2013, 06:01 PM   #1
MattyPlogger is on a distinguished road
Name: Matt
MattyPlogger's Tacoma Gallery
6 inch suspension lift

I am going to get a 6 inch suspension lift on my 2012 Tacoma. However, I am interested in what size wheels are tires would look and function the best. Any info will be greatly appreciated!
Old 07-22-2013, 06:09 PM   #2
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
What will you be doing with your truck?
Old 07-22-2013, 06:11 PM   #3
Mostly city driving but I do like to do a small amount of off roading on the weekends. But nothing too extreme.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:14 PM   #4
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
So, the 6" lift is mostly for looks?
Old 07-22-2013, 06:15 PM   #5
Yes for the most part
Old 07-22-2013, 06:22 PM   #6
Warputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet - 1st Inf. Div.
Name: Chris
Warputer's Tacoma Gallery
The 6" lifts require you to purchase 18" diameter wheels (some of the older Tacos with these kits could run 17" diameter wheels). Many guys run 33" tires and also 35" tires but the 35" will require some trimming of fenders and/or the front body mounts.

There is a thread here on Tacoma World with all the pics & info you could ever want about 6" lifts....

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...-pictures.html
Old 07-22-2013, 06:30 PM   #7
Thanks for the info! this is the kit I am looking at. They recommend 17 inch wheels? http://www.roughcountry.com/toyota-s...it-747-20.html
Old 07-22-2013, 06:56 PM   #8
Warputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet - 1st Inf. Div.
Name: Chris
Warputer's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=MattyPlogger;7197023]Thanks for the info! this is the kit I am looking at. They recommend 17 inch wheels? http://www.roughcountry.com/toyota-s...tml[/QUOTE]

I forgot about the Rough Country kits.....it appears they can run the 17" wheels. I know that Pro Comp kits want you to run 18". Only difference I see between your kit & the one I have is the RC kit has a 4" rear block.....mine has a 2 or 3" with an add-a-leaf. Good price on that kit!
Old 07-23-2013, 04:00 AM   #9

JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
4" rear block? Say hello to axle wrap and goodbye to spring life.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:41 PM   #10
Why do you say that?
Old 07-24-2013, 03:57 AM   #11

JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyPlogger View Post
Why do you say that?
t
Mostly because it is true. The additional leverage of the block causes the axle to twist (wrap). This can cause shuddering under acceleration and dramatically shortens the life of the spring pack.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:09 AM   #12
So what would be your suggestion for a lift kit then? Or just not one at all?
Old 07-24-2013, 09:17 AM   #13

JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not a huge fan of drop bracket lifts at all. They accomplish little, except allow for the installation of larger tires. Ground clearance suffers due to the new crossmember and you have to cut into the frame (removing the stock crossmember) for installation.

I suppose, if you have your heart set on one, you should look at Fabtech or Procomp. Rough Country is generally not thought of as a decent kit.

For the rear, look for something with a full leaf pack. you will probably still need a small lift block, but try to to go over 2".
Old 07-28-2013, 11:30 AM   #14
Rebels62 is on a distinguished road
Name: Dean
Rebels62's Tacoma Gallery
I just did the rough country and runnin 325 65 18 copper stt they are closer to 34 s and fit the truck really well no rubbing at all even with mud flaps on
Attached Thumbnails
6 inch suspension lift-image.jpg  
Old 07-28-2013, 04:48 PM   #15
Your truck looks AWESOME! Hopefully mine turns out that well!
Old 07-28-2013, 04:59 PM   #17
Rebels62 is on a distinguished road
Name: Dean
Rebels62's Tacoma Gallery
So far so good I have had toyo's in the past and I would compair them to them u like the look of them better than the toyo's and they are cheaper I researched them a lot before getting them and can expect to get 40 to 50 k