Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Wheel Bearings

Old 03-01-2009, 06:17 PM   #1
tgr8st has a spectacular aura abouttgr8st has a spectacular aura abouttgr8st has a spectacular aura about
tgr8st's Tacoma Gallery
Wheel Bearings

Heres a little information on them, in case someone does a search later down the road looking for answers.

My drivers side front wheel started to make a weird noise, like metal scraping, and it got progressively worse over a few days. I decided to take the wheel off and have a look, thinking maybe another rock was stuck on the brake dust shield and scraping on the brake. To my surprise, nothing there. I noticed there some play back and forth in the rotor, so I took it off. As I spun the hub by hand, I heard the same metal noise. I took the whole hub off and it was completely fried. No grease left in it and a bearing was sideways. The whole hub smelled burnt.

I decided to goto the parts store and order a new bearing and have it pressed it. $120 later I had the bearings and went to have the pressed. However, there is a notch on the hub that will crack if you take the bearings out, so you have to replace the whole hub. It would cost about another $200 for the hub, please a couple $20 parts. I threw it all back together and brought it in to Toyota to have it done under warranty.

Busted hub:

New wheel bearing:
Old 03-01-2009, 06:21 PM   #2
FMLYHM
zmtnbik has a spectacular aura aboutzmtnbik has a spectacular aura aboutzmtnbik has a spectacular aura about

zmtnbik's Tacoma Gallery
Not sure how many miles you have on your Toy, but the first move would have been the dealer.

Your wheel bearing looks like it is over 10+ years old. You do a lot of wheeling on the beaches in Mexico??
Old 03-01-2009, 06:25 PM   #3
tgr8st has a spectacular aura abouttgr8st has a spectacular aura abouttgr8st has a spectacular aura about
tgr8st's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmtnbik View Post
Not sure how many miles you have on your Toy, but the first move would have been the dealer.

Your wheel bearing looks like it is over 10+ years old. You do a lot of wheeling on the beaches in Mexico??
44,703 miles
Old 05-15-2009, 11:14 PM   #4
╒╪╕
MyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
MyToyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MyToyTaco
discovered tonight that my drivers side hub is toast too.