1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tonneau Cover or Camper Top?

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by dwalden2, Mar 1, 2009.

?

Tonneau or Topper?

1. Tonneau Cover

59.0%
  2. Topper

41.0%
  1. Mar 1, 2009 at 7:14 PM
    dwalden2

dwalden2 [OP] HBTFD

Member:
    First Name:
    Derick
    Blue Ridge, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    '05 TRD Offroad V6 6 spd
    SCS Stealth 6 Wheels, 285/70/17 STT Pros, Demello Offroad front bumper, 20" LED Bar, LED Fogs, LED interior lights, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Body Armour Rear Bumper, Smittybilt 10K winch, 3" OME Lift
    So I need something to keep all my hunting stuff safe in my truck this coming winter so I don't have to go home every day after work. What does everyone recommend: Tonneau cover or a topper? And what kinda prices did you guys pay for yours?

2. Mar 4, 2009 at 6:20 PM
    Veccster

Veccster bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Pittsburgh - The City of Champions
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro
    Kind of alot of things that go into a decision like that. Look at the pros and cons of each (and the various kinds) and make a decision that best fits your needs.

If it was a topper, would you need to remove it often? Is storage a problem? What do you expect to pay? Which looks better...to you?

If it was a tonneau, would you need a roll-up or could you use a tri-fold?

Lot's of factors go into it. If I had to store expensive items and storage during the off-season was not a problem, I would go with a leer hardtop or Undercover.

The access roll-up tonneau better suited my needs.

3. Mar 4, 2009 at 6:29 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    There's no security in a soft tonneau so that's out for hunting gear.

Only you can really decide what you need. I would think a hard tonneau would be fine but I'm not you.

4. Mar 4, 2009 at 6:34 PM
    JJ Customs

JJ Customs Supreme Leader!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    NV
    Vehicle:
    Silverado Crew Cab Z71, 5.3 made from real Tornado's!
    A few additions to make me feel cool.
    Well if you can fit your gear in a toolbox I would get that with a soft tonneau behind it. Thats what I have and I love it. As far as prices you can get the tonneau for $255.60 shipped. As for the box I got the Toyota one so that will cost you about $550 but it is an awesome box. You could get another box for anywhere from $200 up. So I can roll the tonneau up when I want to haul something but the bed remains covered if not.

Cover 1.jpg
    Cover.jpg

KaufdropsTaco likes this.
  5. Mar 4, 2009 at 6:36 PM
    THXEY

THXEY Panda Jerk

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2013 Subaru WRX
    STi Short Shifter.OEM floor illumination kit. Rally Armor Mud Flaps. BC BR Coilovers. Invidia N1 Exhaust
    just to keep your stuff safe? i say tenneau
    but i would ratther have a camper shell

6. Mar 4, 2009 at 8:23 PM
    dwalden2

dwalden2 [OP] HBTFD

Member:
    First Name:
    Derick
    Blue Ridge, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    '05 TRD Offroad V6 6 spd
    SCS Stealth 6 Wheels, 285/70/17 STT Pros, Demello Offroad front bumper, 20" LED Bar, LED Fogs, LED interior lights, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Body Armour Rear Bumper, Smittybilt 10K winch, 3" OME Lift
    Thanks for the info. The only time I would really need it on would be during huntin season. When it's not huntin season, I haul a little 8 foot 2 man pontoon boat sometimes, which is in the picture below, and a 4 wheeler every now and then. But if I got a tonneau I could just roll that up. Or get a tri fold or something. The topper would probably be off during the summer months. And of course, would be more expensive. Basically what I'll be keeping back there would be a tree stand and a bag full of gear like clothes and stuff like that. I can always keep the gun in the cab. Thanks for the advice guys.

[​IMG]

7. Mar 4, 2009 at 8:40 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    ^In that case, a soft cover like one of the Access roll up tonneaus would be perfect. I have the Literider, $285 from Luke at Truckalterations.com/

8. Mar 4, 2009 at 8:42 PM
    Veccster

Veccster bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro
    If you don't mind taking it off to haul those items (or don't haul on a regular basis), I would look into an extang solid fold. Put a pop-n-lock on the tailgate and your stuff is safe. I believe you can fold half or 2/3s of the cover back and use part of the bed. Easy to install and remove for hauling your gear.

and no, i don't work for them...:spy:

If you haul often, look into the Access Roll-up covers. They are all priced right and work well. You can roll it up and haul an atv or boat.

That's a sweet little boat. I would like to get something like that for some of the smaller lakes in Western PA. You can get into those tight or shallow areas much easier with a small boat.

9. Mar 4, 2009 at 9:04 PM
    dwalden2

dwalden2 [OP] HBTFD

Member:
    First Name:
    Derick
    Blue Ridge, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    '05 TRD Offroad V6 6 spd
    Those boats are amazing. We put 350 lbs. on one side of it and it didn't flip or even take on any water. We take that thing in ponds and rivers and even the creeks that feed into the river. There have been A LOT of fish caught in that little thing. You can get one (at least here in GA) for about $700-800 with a motor and battery. Not bad at all.

Me (left) and my girlfriend's brother (right)

[​IMG]

Not too bad for about 4 hours, we thought.:D

10. Mar 4, 2009 at 9:58 PM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    Just installed mine a couple of weeks ago. Extang Tuff cover.
    [​IMG]

11. Mar 4, 2009 at 11:32 PM
    Old Crazy

Old Crazy New Member

Member:
    Southern NJ
    Vehicle:
    '08 Base Cab
    Pace-Edwards Jackrabbit tonneau cover, tailgate pop lock, center console, vinyl seat covers, Husky floor mats, inside tire hub cap shields
    I have a Pace Edwards Jackrabbit tonneau cover and I'm very happy with it. It's light, low profile, locks, and can be retracted in one foot intervals. With the addition of a pop-lock I can completely lock down the bed. I also added a tailgate seal, so it's virtually waterproof. It will run you around $900 delivered, which is $200-$300 more than a hard shell tonneau cover.

I had a camper top on my four runner about 20 years. They do give you more space, but they're heavy and they cut down your gas mileage. I also don't like how they cut down or eliminate your rear view window visibility. If you don't need the room, I would definitely go with a tonneau cover over a camper top.

12. Mar 5, 2009 at 8:29 AM
    06dak

06dak Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Ohio
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5 4cyl
    Undercover hard tonneau, Husky front liners
    I liked the Extang Full tilt (had it on my last one), opens like a hard one with struts for most of your loading and stuff but can roll up or come off in one hunk when you need more space. Very nice, but a little more money than other soft ones.

My new Taco has an undercover, which is easy to remove and hang on the wall and is lockable. Not as easy as the soft though.

13. Mar 5, 2009 at 10:59 AM
    HDGreyRider

HDGreyRider Active Member

Member:
    Wet Okole Seat Covers
    A hard tonneau cover is easy enough to store and provides a little security. I have the UnderCover and love it.

14. Mar 5, 2009 at 11:14 AM
    Hotdog

Hotdog My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
    I like a shell. If needed, you could comfortably sleep back there.

15. Mar 5, 2009 at 11:59 AM
    AFButters

AFButters Rigger, Please!!

Member:
    First Name:
    "Butters"
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2008 335xi BMW

You could have saved 3.5 hours and just gone to the grocery store.. lol..

16. Mar 5, 2009 at 12:05 PM
    dwalden2

dwalden2 [OP] HBTFD

Member:
    First Name:
    Derick
    Blue Ridge, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    '05 TRD Offroad V6 6 spd
    Yea, but who wants to do that? There's almost nothin better than a day on the water fishin.

17. Mar 5, 2009 at 12:19 PM
    Veccster

Veccster bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro
    I agree...nothing better!!! I'm anxious for the start of Trout season next month. I'm also headed to Rockport, TX in June to chase some monster Redfish.

I love it!

18. Mar 5, 2009 at 12:26 PM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    Bakflip G2. It's a hard folding cover. With the Pop-n-lock tailgate lock, it'll keep items in the bed relatively secure. A soft cover is easily torn open with a knife.

The G2 will fold up against the back window giving almost total access to the bed (the front edge takes up about 6").

Bakflip G2:
    [​IMG]
    Bakflip G2 (opened):
    [​IMG]

19. Mar 5, 2009 at 12:50 PM
    dwalden2

dwalden2 [OP] HBTFD

Member:
    First Name:
    Derick
    Blue Ridge, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    '05 TRD Offroad V6 6 spd
    How much did you pay for that?

20. Mar 5, 2009 at 12:52 PM
    mws4ua

mws4ua I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Birmingham
    Vehicle:
    2018 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 4x4... Yeah yeah, I know.
    too analytical... just do what the TW poll says!

Products Discussed in

To Top