View Poll Results: what type of plug did you put back in
denso copper 129 28.60%
denso iridium 113 25.06%
ngk copper 41 9.09%
ngk iridium 112 24.83%
other 56 12.42%
Voters: 451. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-19-2012, 05:37 PM   #101
george3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
george3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johns Taco View Post
I replaced mine at 57K with Denso Irridiums (stock plug in 2.7L). Did it because my motor had a slight stumble at idle, also cleaned my throttle body. Not sure what the fix was but my smooth idle was back afterwards. I definitely reccomend cleaning your throttle body every 30K or so after seeing how much carbon was built up behind the butterfly. ( A rag and throttle body cleaner, lots of elbow grease)
That's good 2 no. I'm at 50k. How did your plugs look ? How was the gap ? They are supposed to be good for 100k so just wondering how yours were. Thanks.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:46 PM   #102
I'm not 4x4, and have an open diff. So i'm 4x1
Johns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
Johns Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by george3 View Post
That's good 2 no. I'm at 50k. How did your plugs look ? How was the gap ? They are supposed to be good for 100k so just wondering how yours were. Thanks.
Wish I was at work to post a pic of one. The electrode end literally looked barely used, it was the rest of the plug that threw a red flag. Looked like a bunch of rusty blow-by that was all up the plug up to the top (where your plug wire goes on). A few techs in the shop said there fine but I changed them anyway. Found this pic on google, they looked like these.

Old 04-19-2012, 05:53 PM   #103
george3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
george3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johns Taco View Post
Wish I was at work to post a pic of one. The electrode end literally looked barely used, it was the rest of the plug that threw a red flag. Looked like a bunch of rusty blow-by that was all up the plug up to the top (where your plug wire goes on). A few techs in the shop said there fine but I changed them anyway. Found this pic on google, they looked like these.

Thanks. Sounds like the throttle body cleaning was what solved your problem - plugs were OK. Wonder what plugs look like from some one who didn't change them til 100k. Thanks for the reply.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:07 AM   #104
ระดับอาวุโส สมาชิกอาวุโส
dYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dyl0n
dYL0n's Tacoma Gallery
Oh e em
Old 06-18-2012, 11:56 AM   #105
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
NGK copper
Old 09-23-2012, 11:11 AM   #110
Brandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 2W271,2MUNS, 2BW, 8AF (Enough Said)
Brandon H's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brandon H Send a message via Yahoo to Brandon H
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsung View Post
15/ft lbs is not much. it's probably just hand tighten pretty hard?
yeah thats usually what i do.
Old 09-23-2012, 02:58 PM   #111
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
I hand tighten, but I've been wrenching for over 40 years and have a pretty good feel for torque.
I'd suggest using a torque wrench until you learn what 15ft/lbs feels like. Not tight enough and your plugs might vibrate out. Too tight and you'll strip the aluminum head, or break the threaded part of the plug off in the head when you remove them!

Also, NEVER install plugs in a hot head. It might be easier to remove them if the engine is warm, but installing with the head hot will result in the head contracting and locking the new plugs in. Next time you remove them, the threads will come out with the plug.
I always do my plug changes before the engine has been started that day.
Old 09-23-2012, 03:22 PM   #112
samsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant future

Name: George
samsung's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
I hand tighten, but I've been wrenching for over 40 years and have a pretty good feel for torque.
I'd suggest using a torque wrench until you learn what 15ft/lbs feels like. Not tight enough and your plugs might vibrate out. Too tight and you'll strip the aluminum head, or break the threaded part of the plug off in the head when you remove them!

Also, NEVER install plugs in a hot head. It might be easier to remove them if the engine is warm, but installing with the head hot will result in the head contracting and locking the new plugs in. Next time you remove them, the threads will come out with the plug.
I always do my plug changes before the engine has been started that day.
and what about anti sieze lube is it necessary?
Old 09-23-2012, 03:49 PM   #114
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsung View Post
and what about anti sieze lube is it necessary?
I used it on aluminum heads.

Very little... I'll put a pea-sized ball on a fingertip and that's enough for 2 or 3 plugs.
It's all down in the grooves of the threads... nothing even flush with the top of the threads.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:42 PM   #115
Do. Or do not. There is no try. -Master Yoda
adio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 740TH Combat Support Company
adio's Tacoma Gallery
noob question. is there a specific anti-seize lubricant that we have to use? I couldn't find the same one that chris4x4 listed on his write up. this is the only one I could find from a local NAPA parts store.

http://m.napaonline.com/Tablet/parts...568_0361152167
Old 09-29-2012, 09:47 PM   #116
monsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

monsterkx2fiddy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by adio View Post
noob question. is there a specific anti-seize lubricant that we have to use? I couldn't find the same one that chris4x4 listed on his write up. this is the only one I could find from a local NAPA parts store.

http://m.napaonline.com/Tablet/parts...568_0361152167
anti seize is anti seize. just dont go all the way to the bottom thread.

installing mine tomorrow already got my plugs ready to go.
Old 09-30-2012, 03:07 PM   #117

One of the old coots in my neighborhood where I grew up used milk of magnesia for anti-seize on his header bolts.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:41 PM   #118
Texoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Machinist Mate NEC 4283
Name: Chris(Topher)
Texoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by monsterkx2fiddy View Post
anti seize is anti seize. just dont go all the way to the bottom thread.

installing mine tomorrow already got my plugs ready to go.
There are different grades of anti sieze out there for specific applications, so anti sieze is not just anti sieze, but if you get it from an auto parts store, that will be the stuff you will need.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:49 PM   #119
Failure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: John
Failure2Comply's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texoma View Post
There are different grades of anti sieze out there for specific applications, so anti sieze is not just anti sieze, but if you get it from an auto parts store, that will be the stuff you will need.
QFT
Old 10-22-2012, 08:08 PM   #120
2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jon
2011TacomaSR5's Tacoma Gallery
Haven't changed mine yet, but when I do it will be Bosch or AC Delco plugs.