1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Advice on impending out of state Tacoma purchase

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Karpaasi, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Jul 24, 2013 at 11:34 AM
    Karpaasi

Karpaasi [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    The Old North State
    Vehicle:
    '07 AC 4 cyl. 4x4
    Tacoma newbie here. I'm about to take the plunge on a used Tacoma located in WV. I'm in NC. The transaction won't take place for another week of so, and I'd love some advice 'as' I pull the trigger.

Vehicle is an '07 access cab, SR5, 4x4, 4 cyl., 5-speed. One owner, 56k on the clock. No reported issues or wrecks. Truck seems to be in great shape.

My intuition tells me that the owner is an honest guy. We've talked on the phone and he's quick to answer text messages. I'm a little gun shy due to a recent experience with a local seller. His truck wasn't nearly as clean as expected. Or maybe my expectations are too high.

To my knowledge, rust isn't a huge issue with cars in central NC. How concerned should I be about rust on a vehicle from WV? Some rust is inevitable, right? Should I pay to have a Carfax pulled? Pre-purchase inspection? Anything in particular I should look for?

Does anyone know if WV still issues temporary transit tags, and if so, if they're issued by the DMV or State Police?

Any advice is greatly appreciated! Looking forward to my first Tacoma!

2. Jul 24, 2013 at 11:37 AM
    chadderkdawg

chadderkdawg Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to..

Member:
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Vehicle:
    09 FX4 F150
    Call a shop local to the seller, and arrange for him to bring it in to get it checked over.

3. Jul 24, 2013 at 11:45 AM
    Karpaasi

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    The Old North State
    Vehicle:
    '07 AC 4 cyl. 4x4
    He's taking it in for a recall on Monday, so it would make sense to have it done then, unless an independent mechanic is preferred to a Toyota mechanic? I assume it doesn't matter.

4. Jul 24, 2013 at 11:46 AM
    chadderkdawg

Member:
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Vehicle:
    09 FX4 F150
    Either is fine, but if you arrange the place, there is less of a chance that he would know the mechanic, hopefully meaning the mechanic wouldn't be biased to the seller over you.

5. Jul 24, 2013 at 11:52 AM
    LowerBost

LowerBost Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma Sport
    Old Man Emu Lift w/ Dakars and Billsteins, K&N Intake, Throttle Body Space, Front Bull Bar, Side Rails, Painted Stock Rims, Bilstein 5100 Front Shocks, Third Brake Light Cover, Satoshi Grill Mod, BHLM Mod
    Have him take some close up pics of any dents, dings, scratches, etc... If he wont, don't go. I asked for some close ups and got denied and said it was perfectly fine that's the best pics the camera will get. So I drove to New York from Pittsburgh for mine and the guy said it was "flawless". Looked like someone raked the entire side and tailgate with a tree! Not to mention the inside of the drivers side door jam was down to straight shiny metal from the previous owners leg dragging in and out of the truck (the salesman said he was a bigger guy)......Could imagine what that seat felt like.... Ended up going straight from there to another one in Ohio I was looking at and bought the Ohio one. Got a temporary plate from dealer in Ohio....But I did sell my 2001 Tacoma sight unseen to a guy in Blacksburgh, Virginia. Drove it down there when I went on vacation and made the transaction. We went to a notary there and they gave him the papers to drive it home within about twenty minutes.

6. Jul 24, 2013 at 11:58 AM
    Karpaasi

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    The Old North State
    Vehicle:
    '07 AC 4 cyl. 4x4
    Makes sense. I've been quoted $86 for a pre-purchase inspection which takes a couple of hours (really?) and includes all the basic stuff - undercarriage inspection, brakes, tires, etc., but doesn't include any testing. A compression test is an extra $129. Apparently they'll run a Carfax for free with either one, so that's nice.

It would be nice to have a conversation with the mechanic while he's doing the inspection. I want to make sure the the paint and overall condition is what I'm expecting.

Do I need a compression test on a vehicle with 56k on the clock?

7. Jul 24, 2013 at 12:01 PM
    TacoSupreem

TacoSupreem Dirty Trucker

Member:
    First Name:
    Hayden
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB 4x4 Sport
    Wheres it at in w.va? I dont think you can get a temp tag unless you go threw a dealer? Not 100% on that though? I would call w.va dmv and find out for sure. My thoughts on this is pictures can hide a lot of stuff. Everybodys opinions on condition are different. Whats flawless to somebody else might be awful to you.

8. Jul 24, 2013 at 12:03 PM
    Karpaasi

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    The Old North State
    Vehicle:
    '07 AC 4 cyl. 4x4
    LowerBost, I just had the same experience, albeit I was much closer to home (but it was still a pain in the ass). His truck was "cherry." Right. Cherry in color. Had some major scratches on the sides, the paint on the back of the tailgate was heavily scratched and one of the quarter panels needed bodywork. I don't think he neglected the truck, but it was far from clean. "This will buff out." Okay.

Then again, I just sold my car to a seller from out of town, and he got exactly what he expected.

9. Jul 24, 2013 at 12:04 PM
    Karpaasi

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    The Old North State
    Vehicle:
    '07 AC 4 cyl. 4x4
    TacoSupreem, Huntington.

10. Jul 24, 2013 at 12:16 PM
    TacoSupreem

Member:
    First Name:
    Hayden
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB 4x4 Sport
    I live right by huntington. Want me to go check it out for you!? Take some pics with my nikon dslr?

11. Jul 24, 2013 at 12:20 PM
    chadderkdawg

Member:
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Vehicle:
    09 FX4 F150
    Boom.

Fucking love TW, OP, this is your golden opportunity to start taking advantage of the excellent members around here.

12. Jul 24, 2013 at 12:22 PM
    Karpaasi

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    The Old North State
    Vehicle:
    '07 AC 4 cyl. 4x4
    TacoSupreem, HELL YEAH! I'd be super appreciative! Again, the seller seems like a really nice guy, but I hate to make a four hour drive without knowing what I'm getting myself into.

What's the easiest way to connect you with the seller?

13. Jul 24, 2013 at 12:37 PM
    Sandman614

Sandman614 Ex-Snarky TWSS elf, Travis #hotsavannahdotcom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    ARB Front Bumper, Projector Headlights w/Slimcubby 4300K HID's, Oznium LED's, LED taillights, DIY Washable Cabin Moose Filter, Sockmonkey SR5 Off Road, Aux Audio plug, OME 886x, OME Nitrochargers, Wheelers 3 Leaf Progressive AAL, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Dodge D-Rings
    When you make the purchase are you going to drive to get it?

14. Jul 24, 2013 at 12:50 PM
    TacoSupreem

Member:
    First Name:
    Hayden
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB 4x4 Sport
    I'll pm you my number shortly. Im at work til 1700. You can call me around 1715 and we can come up with a plan.

15. Jul 24, 2013 at 1:20 PM
    Karpaasi

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    The Old North State
    Vehicle:
    '07 AC 4 cyl. 4x4
    Roger wilco. Thanks man!

16. Jul 24, 2013 at 1:24 PM
    Karpaasi

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    The Old North State
    Vehicle:
    '07 AC 4 cyl. 4x4
    Sandman614, I'm planning to catch a ride with a friend or my dad. It's still up in the air right now. I sold my car last week.

Btw, I'm in Cary too.

17. Jul 24, 2013 at 1:51 PM
    Sandman614

Sandman614 Ex-Snarky TWSS elf, Travis #hotsavannahdotcom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    ARB Front Bumper, Projector Headlights w/Slimcubby 4300K HID's, Oznium LED's, LED taillights, DIY Washable Cabin Moose Filter, Sockmonkey SR5 Off Road, Aux Audio plug, OME 886x, OME Nitrochargers, Wheelers 3 Leaf Progressive AAL, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Dodge D-Rings
    Cool, we should meet up. There's a couple more here. One is moving from AZ to my apt complex.
    I was gonna see if you needed someone to drive something back for you.

Look forward to seeing the new truck

18. Jul 24, 2013 at 2:36 PM
    moondeath

moondeath Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pa, Gardners
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    5100 @ 0” w/ 2.5” Eibach spring, 1.5" Icon Progressive 3 leaf + 1” block, Procomp Wheels, Grill Thin Lip (Custom Car Grills Mod), Access Tonneau Cover, Pop & Lock Tailgate Electronic Lock PL8521
    Depending on whether the truck is paid off or still has a bank loan on it (has a lien on the title or not) will probably determine how hard it will be to get a tag for it.

In PA if the vehicle is still 'owned' by the bank then you can't get a temp tag until the title is released from the bank that holds the title. Makes it very hard to sell to out of staters or anyone far away.
    You end up having to borrow the license plate until everything is processed.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
  19. Jul 24, 2013 at 3:39 PM
    Karpaasi

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    The Old North State
    Vehicle:
    '07 AC 4 cyl. 4x4
    Sandman614, thanks for the offer! We could drive my Porsche 911 Turbo S to pick it up. Do you want to drive the Tacoma or Porsche back to NC? ;)

Don't I wish.

moondeath, the seller's credit union has the title at the bank. I'll get it once I pay his lien, so I should have the title in hand after the transaction.

Now the seller is asking for a deposit.

20. Jul 24, 2013 at 7:58 PM
    DaVikes

DaVikes Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    Colorado Sports Car
    Arb front bumper, warn winch, All Pro rear bumper, OME up front, OME and All Pro Standard in Back, ARB locker, 34 x 10.5 KO2's, 17" Level 8 Trackers, and fancy single piece driveshaft.
    Always pull the carfax. If it's ever even been in a minor accident, it will be harder to sell when you want to sell it, and it's worth less today because of it. Also, if you get lucky, some of the maintenance history might be on the carfax.

Products Discussed in

To Top