1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help with Short Box

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by riftsawn, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Mar 2, 2009 at 7:20 AM
    riftsawn

riftsawn [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    08 double cab
    This is kind of a long story but I ran into a problem with my short bed this weekend that I'm hoping some of you others can help with a solution. I'm in the process of finishing my basement and I needed to pickup 20 sheets of drywall this weekend. Since the bed is not 4 ft wide between the wheel wells, I cut some 2"x6" boards to fit into the pockets on the side of the bed, so I could lay the drywall on top of the wheel wells. Then I laid 3 2"x4" on top of the 2"x6" running the length of the bed so tail end of the drywall hanging out the back of the truck would be supported.

Here is where the catch comes in..... the support pockets near the rear of the bed are only about 4' 6" back from the front of the bed, so when you load the truck up with 8’ sheets of drywall it basically becomes a giant teeter totter. To get the stuff home I tied down the front the best I could and bought a couple of tubes of traction sand that I stacked on the front of the drywall as well…. Not exactly a sano solution.

What do you guys do? I would love a trailer but I just don’t have a place to store it… Thanks!

2. Mar 2, 2009 at 7:32 AM
    Rtrn2taco

Rtrn2taco Nostalgia...

Member:
    Philadelphia
    Vehicle:
    08 DC PreRunner (silver)
    Although I was never in your predicament, there is a possible solution borrowed from the GM engineers. I hope I can explain with little confusion. On the canyons and colorados there are two attachment points on the tailgate cable. When using the shorter of the attachment points the top of the tailgate is even with the top of the wheel wells creating an additional support further from the front of the bed. Now where to get shorter tailgate cables? but I will leave that up to you.

3. Mar 2, 2009 at 7:39 AM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    this may help you out more than once...................at harbor freight....they have a "hitch extender hauler" that goes in the hitch, and comes up level with the bed, and it spreads out at the top so you can carry boards and such a little easier.

4. Mar 2, 2009 at 7:43 AM
    TicTacOma

TicTacOma UnderWater Monopoly Champion

Member:
    First Name:
    Anastatia Beaverhausen
    Columbia,SC
    Vehicle:
    I'm Thinking...Oh Yeah...An FJ
    It's all in my head at the moment...
    ^ x2 on the above. If you are creative, you can rig that thing up to haul alot of items besides building materials.

5. Mar 2, 2009 at 8:22 AM
    riftsawn

riftsawn [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    08 double cab

That's brillant! After your post I did a little looking and found these as well... http://www.extendatruck.com/ and http://www.lundinternational.com/lund_int_truck_product_detail_objectname_Hitch_Hand___truck.aspx

6. Mar 2, 2009 at 8:26 AM
    longbow

longbow I see you now..................

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Silver Mica TRD 4 Door
    Toy-tec Coil over lift, Eibach 700 lb springs, Sway bar relocate, Total Chaos UCA's, Moto metal wheels, BFG mudterrians, HID, custom 3 piece grill, Highlift jack w/custom mount, Highlift jack cover, bed matt, de-badged 100%, storage box lock mod, using defrost w/o AC mod, short antenna mod, horn re-locate, Tire Gate flat spare tire mount, engine cover painted, bed light (1) mod, wreck bar carrier, Blue Sea 5026 fuse block, center console outlet, flash light mod, Blue Sea inline fuse, Shrockworks sliders, All-Pro front bumper, Piaa 510 driving lights, Warn shackles front, Kennesaw rear bumper, "Tag Boltz" plate lights, Warn shackles rear, Warn M8000 winch, devil horns, BHLM, weathech liners front and rear.....T.W. sticker of course. Custom Sock bed decal for Michele
    X3, if you know a welder and can do some fab work may be cheaper....

7. Mar 2, 2009 at 8:54 AM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....

Products Discussed in

To Top