1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cobra 800 watt inverter Install thread (pics)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Toy Yoda, Jul 26, 2013.

1. Jul 26, 2013 at 9:13 PM
    Toy Yoda

Toy Yoda [OP] gotta make sure Youtube comes down to tape this

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB
    OME, ARB, Warn, Snugtop XV
    Just making this thread so i can keep track of everything I've ordered and how much it costed, hopefully the info will help someone out in the future. will update and take pics of the install

Ordered from Amazon
    -Cobra 800 watt inverter $45.96
    -15' 4 gauge wire (blue, i like blue) $.95 a foot
    -1' 4 gauge (black, ground wire) $.95 a foot
    -100 amp inline fuse $4.99
    -4 4 gauge terminals $3.96

OTRATTW switch, Inverter Power Switch-V1D1FBBB - BLUE INDEPENDENT/BLUE LOWER DEPENDENT $16.49

[​IMG]

the switch panel i ordered has built in breakers so i wont be needing an inline fuse for the switch...going to install it on the overhead console. here's a pic of it, includes the switches in the pic. made in china so going out on a limb as far as quality goes...so we'll see

[​IMG]

Bought at local hardware store
    -20' 18 gauge wire $3.24

still needed-18 gauge connectors, heat shrink

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Jul 27, 2013 at 3:25 AM
    kb2tha

kb2tha Well-Known Member

Member:
    Delaware County, NYS
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 TRD OffRoad
    Scangauge
    subscribed :)

3. Jul 27, 2013 at 5:36 AM
    LostTaco

LostTaco Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    New to me
  4. Jul 27, 2013 at 7:07 AM
    Bishop2Queens6

Bishop2Queens6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCSB SR5 4x4
    Icon 2.5 RR/w CDCV 700# springs Front Shocks JBA UCA's Wheeler's Offroad Superbump Front Bump Stops Icon 2.5 RR/w CDCV 4"+ Rear Shocks AllPro Expo Rear Leaf Pack Timbren Rear Bump Stops ARB Front Bumper @Shmellmopwho Rock Sliders w/ Kickout RCI Aluminum Front Skid Plate Prinsu Roof Rack Roll-N-Lock Tonneau Cover CBI Ditch Light Brackets Cali-Raised LED Ditch Lights Cali-Raised Amber Fogs Cali-Raised Flush Mount LED Pods
  5. Jul 28, 2013 at 9:52 AM
    diddler

diddler Member

Member:
    Central South Dakota
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma TX TRD
    sounds interesting, subbed

6. Jul 28, 2013 at 9:59 AM
    charles08tacoma

charles08tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner SR-5 Access Cab
    White Snug Top shell
  7. Aug 7, 2013 at 8:11 AM
    otis24

otis24 Hard Shell Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    California
    Vehicle:
    OtisBound Outdoors Bodonkadonk
    OtisBound Bodonkadonk
    I'm doing the exact same thing on my 2003 Taco.

On the advice of a stereo installer I'm running the ground all the way back to the battery. It's probably overkill but it's already done.

Where are you mounting your inverter? I'm thinking under the passenger seat.

I ran my wires from the battery straight back through the fire wall via a rubber grommet that was already there. I just had to puncture a hole in it. From there I ran the black wire under the carpet behind the driver's seat and under the passenger seat. The red wire makes a turn toward the passenger side, under the dash, up and over the steering shaft and to the switch below the stereo. From there it goes under the center console and under the passenger seat. This is as far as I've gotten.

Are you going to extend the outlets and mount them else ware? I'm thinking I'm going to run one outlet to some place in the center console with the USB port. The second outlet is going somewhere near the rear of the bed. I have a camper shell with a sleeping platform back there so that outlet will come in handy.

I've seen were people have taken the inverter apart and extended the outlet's wires. I've also heard of simply plugging in a an extension cord, removing the female end and wiring it into a straight panel outlet. For me I'd rather not take apart the inverter, in case I want to temporarily move it to another vehicle and to not void the warranty.

Eventually I'm going to add a second battery, probably a marine deep cycle battery.

8. Sep 12, 2013 at 10:18 AM
    jetta.the.hut

jetta.the.hut B4nn3d

Member:
    First Name:
    Aren
    Aberdeen,NC
    Vehicle:
    2013 Access Cab Long Bed 4x4
    subd, any progress?

9. Sep 13, 2013 at 7:05 AM
    otis24

otis24 Hard Shell Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    California
    Vehicle:
    OtisBound Outdoors Bodonkadonk
    OtisBound Bodonkadonk
    Mine is finished. I ended up buying some plugs for a clothes dryer. They come with the 3 prongs on one end and just bare stripped wires on the other end. I simply plugged them into the inverter and then attached them to the 3 prong plug outlets I bought on Amazon. I'll post up some pics one of these days.

10. Sep 13, 2013 at 12:43 PM
    dalesrn

dalesrn Tacoma TSS

Member:
    First Name:
    Dale
    Southeast Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma PreRunner DC with TSS Package
    Borla exhaust system, Sirius Satellite Radio, Chrome package, Trailer Hitch, Clazzio Leather seat covers, TSS badging, Anytime on fog lights mod, Daytime driving lights mod, Dual backseat DVD players w/monitors, 3rd Brake Light "TSS" mod, Bed pocket lights mod, Seat belt chime mod, Bed storage compartment auxillary outlet mod, Shorty antenna, Armor Lid Tonneau Cover, Line of Fire tailgate light
  11. Sep 13, 2013 at 2:21 PM
    ChiveOn

ChiveOn City Slickin' Redneck, I wear a suit with a mullet

Member:
    A BC Boy in Calgary
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB TRD Sport 6spd
    Plasti-Dipped Emblems, Tonnopro Tri-fold toneau cover (for winter use only), AVS in-channel visors, Ultra Gauge, Tepui Kukenam RTT, Muteki Trail Hog 285/70/17, Pop N' Lock, Bilstein 5100's in the front set at .85 with Eibach coils, Bilstein 5100's in the rear with a Toytec AAL. Toytec drivers side spacers, Toytec diff drop kit. All Pro u-bolt flip kit, TJM Compressor (permanently mounted), Custom rack for the RTT over the bed, Tepui Kukenam RTT, Toyota Bed Mat, Cobra 75 WX ST CB Radio, and a lot of gear behind the seats.
    I am wondering the same thing :confused::confused::confused:

12. Sep 13, 2013 at 4:42 PM
    jetta.the.hut

jetta.the.hut B4nn3d

Member:
    First Name:
    Aren
    Aberdeen,NC
    Vehicle:
    2013 Access Cab Long Bed 4x4
    I'm not sure why the guys with a factory invertor are only getting 400 watts max when the inverter I see for sale for the trd says 1000w.

Anywho I plan on mounting an 800w invertor under the seat with a switch on the dash and then mount a 110v plug and a USB plug facing towards the rear seat . The only thing I don't like is the cup holders being above it.
    My wife had a jeep patriot and it had an integrated 110v plug under the arm rest, I'll probably see if I can find something similar because it had a waterproof cover to it.

13. Sep 13, 2013 at 4:48 PM
    DR007

DR007 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Port Barre, LA
    Vehicle:
    '06 DCSB PreRunner
    MagnaFlow exhaust, K&N cold air intake, MB TKO wheels with 265/75/r16 Hankook Dynapro ATM, Blue Center shift LED color change, Map Lights with Dome, LED Map and Dome lights, Cluster Light Change, DTRL, Parking Light as Blinker, Blue A/C Control lights, Blue Clock, Bed Lights, Debadged tailgate, painted all exterior plastic trim, 6LZ Lightbars in grille, OTRATTW switches, Fog Light in Reverse light Mod, LED Blinkers all around, Projector Fog Lights, 15" blitzpro light bar, added hidden cig lighter port, custom plate front bumper, OME complete lift with 885 front coils, Ultraguage, CB radio 3' whips, 12v bed lighter port, Center Console Lights, AllProOffroad Sliders, 50" roof led light bar, 2 BlitzPro 6LZ Reverse Lights
    Sub'd too.

14. Sep 13, 2013 at 4:52 PM
    Taco Dan

Taco Dan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Vehicle:
    07 FJ Cruiser auto 4X4
    Snorkel, Cooper ST Maxx 255/80/17, diff breather relocate, Cobra ultra III cb radio set up Warrior Products front bumper

Products Discussed in

To Top