Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Cobra 800 watt inverter Install thread (pics)

Old 07-26-2013, 09:13 PM   #1
Go Pro Junkie
Toy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Garrett
Toy Yoda's Tacoma Gallery
Cobra 800 watt inverter Install thread (pics)

Just making this thread so i can keep track of everything I've ordered and how much it costed, hopefully the info will help someone out in the future. will update and take pics of the install

Ordered from Amazon
-Cobra 800 watt inverter $45.96
-15' 4 gauge wire (blue, i like blue) $.95 a foot
-1' 4 gauge (black, ground wire) $.95 a foot
-100 amp inline fuse $4.99
-4 4 gauge terminals $3.96

OTRATTW switch, Inverter Power Switch-V1D1FBBB - BLUE INDEPENDENT/BLUE LOWER DEPENDENT $16.49

the switch panel i ordered has built in breakers so i wont be needing an inline fuse for the switch...going to install it on the overhead console. here's a pic of it, includes the switches in the pic. made in china so going out on a limb as far as quality goes...so we'll see

Bought at local hardware store
-20' 18 gauge wire $3.24

still needed-18 gauge connectors, heat shrink
Old 07-27-2013, 03:25 AM   #2
kb2tha is on a distinguished road
kb2tha's Tacoma Gallery
subscribed
Old 07-27-2013, 05:36 AM   #3
LostTaco is on a distinguished road
LostTaco's Tacoma Gallery
sub
Old 07-27-2013, 07:07 AM   #4
Bishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Bishop2Queens6's Tacoma Gallery
Tagged
Old 07-28-2013, 09:52 AM   #5
diddler is on a distinguished road
diddler's Tacoma Gallery
sounds interesting, subbed
Old 07-28-2013, 09:59 AM   #6
charles08tacoma has much to be proud ofcharles08tacoma has much to be proud ofcharles08tacoma has much to be proud ofcharles08tacoma has much to be proud ofcharles08tacoma has much to be proud ofcharles08tacoma has much to be proud ofcharles08tacoma has much to be proud ofcharles08tacoma has much to be proud ofcharles08tacoma has much to be proud of

charles08tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Subbed
Old 08-07-2013, 08:11 AM   #7
otis24 is a splendid one to beholdotis24 is a splendid one to beholdotis24 is a splendid one to beholdotis24 is a splendid one to beholdotis24 is a splendid one to beholdotis24 is a splendid one to beholdotis24 is a splendid one to behold

otis24's Tacoma Gallery
I'm doing the exact same thing on my 2003 Taco.

On the advice of a stereo installer I'm running the ground all the way back to the battery. It's probably overkill but it's already done.

Where are you mounting your inverter? I'm thinking under the passenger seat.

I ran my wires from the battery straight back through the fire wall via a rubber grommet that was already there. I just had to puncture a hole in it. From there I ran the black wire under the carpet behind the driver's seat and under the passenger seat. The red wire makes a turn toward the passenger side, under the dash, up and over the steering shaft and to the switch below the stereo. From there it goes under the center console and under the passenger seat. This is as far as I've gotten.

Are you going to extend the outlets and mount them else ware? I'm thinking I'm going to run one outlet to some place in the center console with the USB port. The second outlet is going somewhere near the rear of the bed. I have a camper shell with a sleeping platform back there so that outlet will come in handy.

I've seen were people have taken the inverter apart and extended the outlet's wires. I've also heard of simply plugging in a an extension cord, removing the female end and wiring it into a straight panel outlet. For me I'd rather not take apart the inverter, in case I want to temporarily move it to another vehicle and to not void the warranty.

Eventually I'm going to add a second battery, probably a marine deep cycle battery.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:18 AM   #8
B4nn3d
jetta.the.hut has a brilliant futurejetta.the.hut has a brilliant futurejetta.the.hut has a brilliant futurejetta.the.hut has a brilliant futurejetta.the.hut has a brilliant futurejetta.the.hut has a brilliant futurejetta.the.hut has a brilliant futurejetta.the.hut has a brilliant futurejetta.the.hut has a brilliant futurejetta.the.hut has a brilliant futurejetta.the.hut has a brilliant future

Name: Aren
jetta.the.hut's Tacoma Gallery
subd, any progress?
Old 09-13-2013, 07:05 AM   #9
otis24 is a splendid one to beholdotis24 is a splendid one to beholdotis24 is a splendid one to beholdotis24 is a splendid one to beholdotis24 is a splendid one to beholdotis24 is a splendid one to beholdotis24 is a splendid one to behold

otis24's Tacoma Gallery
Mine is finished. I ended up buying some plugs for a clothes dryer. They come with the 3 prongs on one end and just bare stripped wires on the other end. I simply plugged them into the inverter and then attached them to the 3 prong plug outlets I bought on Amazon. I'll post up some pics one of these days.
Old 09-13-2013, 02:21 PM   #11
City Slickin' Redneck, I wear a suit with a mullet
ChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
ChiveOn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetta.the.hut View Post
subd, any progress?
I am wondering the same thing
Old 09-13-2013, 04:42 PM   #12
B4nn3d
jetta.the.hut has a brilliant futurejetta.the.hut has a brilliant futurejetta.the.hut has a brilliant futurejetta.the.hut has a brilliant futurejetta.the.hut has a brilliant futurejetta.the.hut has a brilliant futurejetta.the.hut has a brilliant futurejetta.the.hut has a brilliant futurejetta.the.hut has a brilliant futurejetta.the.hut has a brilliant futurejetta.the.hut has a brilliant future

Name: Aren
jetta.the.hut's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not sure why the guys with a factory invertor are only getting 400 watts max when the inverter I see for sale for the trd says 1000w.

Anywho I plan on mounting an 800w invertor under the seat with a switch on the dash and then mount a 110v plug and a USB plug facing towards the rear seat . The only thing I don't like is the cup holders being above it.
My wife had a jeep patriot and it had an integrated 110v plug under the arm rest, I'll probably see if I can find something similar because it had a waterproof cover to it.
Old 09-13-2013, 04:52 PM   #14
Taco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Taco Dan's Tacoma Gallery
subd