1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Looking at seafoam before my next oil change

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by bigef12, Jul 27, 2013.

1. Jul 27, 2013 at 5:31 AM
    bigef12

bigef12 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Chattanooga, TN
    Vehicle:
    2004 4Runner SR5 4x4 V6
    Removed that stupid "Sport Bumper Trim"
  2. Jul 27, 2013 at 5:49 AM
    Rackster

Rackster Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    '04 E/cab 4x4 2.7 Auto SR5
    Eric - just a thought or two.

Based on reading I've done, folk suggest that if you use gas from major producers that the additives in the fuel keep the system clean. When using fuel from smaller (unknown?) producers, deposits in the system are more prevalent, so using Seafoam sparingly isn't a bad idea. Most folks just dump it in the tank and run a full tank through the system. Some will do the intake trick, but it's not clear to me if it's a mostly smoke and mirror thing (you see smoke, so you assume good things) or if it really does address intake deposits more effectively. I've not seen corroborated data to confirm effectiveness.

Still many folks will say, use a major gas producers blend of fuel (with cleaning additive), perhaps a three tanks worth and that'll do the job of Seafoam without risking any internal components to premature breakdown. Tons to read...tons of opinions and theories out there. Read up until you are comfortable. Good luck!!

3. Jul 27, 2013 at 6:19 AM
    bigef12

bigef12 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Chattanooga, TN
    Vehicle:
    2004 4Runner SR5 4x4 V6
    Removed that stupid "Sport Bumper Trim"
    Thanks for the input. I use BP gas - have a rewards card so I save 3 cents a gallon. Guess I'll just add some when I fill up next.

Not having anybengine problems and gas mileage isn't great anyway since I only work 4 minutes from the house. Engine hardly ever gets warmed up. Wouldn't expect any miracles. More curiosity than anything.

Thank again.

4. Jul 27, 2013 at 6:19 AM
    minameismud

minameismud Well-Known Member

Member:
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    11 DC PreRunner SR5
    Fog light mod, clamped tailgate
    My last car was direct injected, so all the gas-additive cleaners in the world wouldn't touch my intake manifold or intake valves since fuel entered the system directly into the cylinder. There's a huge problem with carbon build-up on those engines (mid-2000s Audi 2.0 TFSI was mine, also previous-generation 1.8T). Spray seafoam through the intake was pretty much the only at-home preventative. Since our trucks aren't DI, fuel hits the intake manifold and back side (non-piston side) of the valves, and the cleaning additives have a chance to work if added to the fuel system either by the fuel manufacturer or the owner from a bottle.

Edit: I believe current-generation Kias with the "GDI" engine (gas, not diesel...stupid marketing), are primarily DI, but they've added a secondary fuel injector in the intake airstream to try to combat the carbon buildup in the intake. Its purpose is pretty much only so the engine can take advantage of those fuel additives. Other makes might also do the same thing. A quick googling says that Toyota might switch the 2014 Tacoma to DI, but that's a topic for another thread.

Edit 2: OP, I just read your second post saying your engine rarely gets warmed up. Regularly cold engines do promote carbon buildup. Take that thing out on the interstate every weekend and warm it up. Back in the day, drivers were told they should "blow the carbon out" by revving the engine. Same concept. Engines these days (as well as the fuel additives) are designed to be more resistant to carbon buildup, but it can still be an issue with certain designs (VW/Audi), driving styles (yours), or environmental conditions.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2013
  5. Jul 27, 2013 at 6:38 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    I only use seafoam in old high milage engines. Using a quality fuel, and propper maintinance, you shouldnt need it.

6. Jul 27, 2013 at 7:30 AM
    Mr. Biscuits

Mr. Biscuits gentleman and a scholar

Member:
    First Name:
    Brennen
    Eugene, OR
    Vehicle:
    2000 PreRunner TRD V6
    - OME suspension - Custom front/rear tube bumpers - 33x12.5r15 BFG KOs - Deckplate mod + AFE reusable filter - Aero Turbine 2525 exhaust, chopped before leaf spring - Toyota Horns emblem by Diaz Fabrication - Pioneer stereo and new speakers + 10" sub - camper shell
    Goodamn Ross, take a note from Chris here; keep it short and to the point ;)

OP you won't really see improvements with seafoam until you reach around 100k+ miles. Carbon build up won't have made an impact at 50k to see any difference although without properly warming the engine, you will experience carbon deposits accumulate quicker than normal.

On another note, is there a seafoam cleanse similar to the 3.4L method thru the vacuum line (not brake booster; I know that method isn't anywhere as useful).

7. Jul 27, 2013 at 2:12 PM
    minameismud

minameismud Well-Known Member

Member:
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    11 DC PreRunner SR5
    Fog light mod, clamped tailgate
    i'm verbose. eat me :D

8. Jul 27, 2013 at 2:20 PM
    gasgasman

gasgasman Well-Known Member

Member:
    +1 to what minameismud says.

I'm a tech with land Rover. Their 5.0L engines are DI.
    The injector tips get carboned up to the point where the fuel spary is altered.
    We use the BG combustion chamber cleaner through the intake to clean the carbon off the injector tip. It really works well.

9. Jul 28, 2013 at 4:53 PM
    Rackster

Rackster Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    '04 E/cab 4x4 2.7 Auto SR5
    I agree. Other benefits with taking the occasional longer ride to get the fluids up to temperature.

Products Discussed in

To Top