LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Looking at seafoam before my next oil change

Old 07-27-2013, 05:31 AM   #1
bigef12 has a spectacular aura aboutbigef12 has a spectacular aura aboutbigef12 has a spectacular aura about
Name: Eric
bigef12's Tacoma Gallery
Looking at seafoam before my next oil change

Found this article about how to use seafoam correctly. Is this how everyone does it? I've never used it; usually just do basic oil change and check fluids.

And if he is correct, which line do I pull? 4.0 v6 with almost 50k miles. I use a K&N air filter if that matters.

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/how...right-way.html

Thanks.
Old 07-27-2013, 05:49 AM   #2
Rackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to behold
Name: Kevin
Rackster's Tacoma Gallery
Eric - just a thought or two.

Based on reading I've done, folk suggest that if you use gas from major producers that the additives in the fuel keep the system clean. When using fuel from smaller (unknown?) producers, deposits in the system are more prevalent, so using Seafoam sparingly isn't a bad idea. Most folks just dump it in the tank and run a full tank through the system. Some will do the intake trick, but it's not clear to me if it's a mostly smoke and mirror thing (you see smoke, so you assume good things) or if it really does address intake deposits more effectively. I've not seen corroborated data to confirm effectiveness.

Still many folks will say, use a major gas producers blend of fuel (with cleaning additive), perhaps a three tanks worth and that'll do the job of Seafoam without risking any internal components to premature breakdown. Tons to read...tons of opinions and theories out there. Read up until you are comfortable. Good luck!!
Old 07-27-2013, 06:19 AM   #3
bigef12 has a spectacular aura aboutbigef12 has a spectacular aura aboutbigef12 has a spectacular aura about
Name: Eric
bigef12's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the input. I use BP gas - have a rewards card so I save 3 cents a gallon. Guess I'll just add some when I fill up next.

Not having anybengine problems and gas mileage isn't great anyway since I only work 4 minutes from the house. Engine hardly ever gets warmed up. Wouldn't expect any miracles. More curiosity than anything.

Thank again.
Old 07-27-2013, 06:19 AM   #4
minameismud has a spectacular aura aboutminameismud has a spectacular aura about
minameismud's Tacoma Gallery
My last car was direct injected, so all the gas-additive cleaners in the world wouldn't touch my intake manifold or intake valves since fuel entered the system directly into the cylinder. There's a huge problem with carbon build-up on those engines (mid-2000s Audi 2.0 TFSI was mine, also previous-generation 1.8T). Spray seafoam through the intake was pretty much the only at-home preventative. Since our trucks aren't DI, fuel hits the intake manifold and back side (non-piston side) of the valves, and the cleaning additives have a chance to work if added to the fuel system either by the fuel manufacturer or the owner from a bottle.

Edit: I believe current-generation Kias with the "GDI" engine (gas, not diesel...stupid marketing), are primarily DI, but they've added a secondary fuel injector in the intake airstream to try to combat the carbon buildup in the intake. Its purpose is pretty much only so the engine can take advantage of those fuel additives. Other makes might also do the same thing. A quick googling says that Toyota might switch the 2014 Tacoma to DI, but that's a topic for another thread.

Edit 2: OP, I just read your second post saying your engine rarely gets warmed up. Regularly cold engines do promote carbon buildup. Take that thing out on the interstate every weekend and warm it up. Back in the day, drivers were told they should "blow the carbon out" by revving the engine. Same concept. Engines these days (as well as the fuel additives) are designed to be more resistant to carbon buildup, but it can still be an issue with certain designs (VW/Audi), driving styles (yours), or environmental conditions.
Old 07-27-2013, 06:38 AM   #5
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
I only use seafoam in old high milage engines. Using a quality fuel, and propper maintinance, you shouldnt need it.
Old 07-27-2013, 07:30 AM   #6
Salesman by trade, Gentleman by habit
Mr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brennen J
Mr. Biscuits's Tacoma Gallery
Goodamn Ross, take a note from Chris here; keep it short and to the point

OP you won't really see improvements with seafoam until you reach around 100k+ miles. Carbon build up won't have made an impact at 50k to see any difference although without properly warming the engine, you will experience carbon deposits accumulate quicker than normal.

On another note, is there a seafoam cleanse similar to the 3.4L method thru the vacuum line (not brake booster; I know that method isn't anywhere as useful).
Old 07-27-2013, 02:12 PM   #7
minameismud has a spectacular aura aboutminameismud has a spectacular aura about
minameismud's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Biscuits View Post
Goodamn Ross, take a note from Chris here; keep it short and to the point

OP you won't really see improvements with seafoam until you reach around 100k+ miles. Carbon build up won't have made an impact at 50k to see any difference although without properly warming the engine, you will experience carbon deposits accumulate quicker than normal.

On another note, is there a seafoam cleanse similar to the 3.4L method thru the vacuum line (not brake booster; I know that method isn't anywhere as useful).
i'm verbose. eat me
Old 07-27-2013, 02:20 PM   #8
ASE Master Tech.
gasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

gasgasman's Tacoma Gallery
+1 to what minameismud says.

I'm a tech with land Rover. Their 5.0L engines are DI.
The injector tips get carboned up to the point where the fuel spary is altered.
We use the BG combustion chamber cleaner through the intake to clean the carbon off the injector tip. It really works well.
Old 07-28-2013, 04:53 PM   #9
Rackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to behold
Name: Kevin
Rackster's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by minameismud View Post

Edit 2: OP, I just read your second post saying your engine rarely gets warmed up. Regularly cold engines do promote carbon buildup. Take that thing out on the interstate every weekend and warm it up. Back in the day, drivers were told they should "blow the carbon out" by revving the engine. Same concept. Engines these days (as well as the fuel additives) are designed to be more resistant to carbon buildup, but it can still be an issue with certain designs (VW/Audi), driving styles (yours), or environmental conditions.
I agree. Other benefits with taking the occasional longer ride to get the fluids up to temperature.

Products Discussed in this Thread