Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Hide-a-key locations

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-02-2009, 03:16 PM   #22
smithrw is on a distinguished road
smithrw's Tacoma Gallery
I put mine in a black magnetic key box then set it on top of the rear spring as far back as it will go. It's nearly impossible to see.
Old 03-02-2009, 03:16 PM   #23
Banned
Pster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Pster's Tacoma Gallery
I have the Hitch Safe installed and really like it. It is heavy and very well made. As noted earlier, you need a set of extended pins to attach it to the OEM Tacoma hitch as the hitch has a thicker wall to it. I put the OEM rubber hitch cover on the back of the hitch tube to keep out water and dust, works perfecto. I keep spare key, mini credit card, and some cash in the safe (in case I need a tow or gas and am broke....)
Old 03-02-2009, 03:21 PM   #25
surfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gregg
surfsupl's Tacoma Gallery
Well.......if I am ever on the run and need a truck, I know where some of you junior members are hiding your key!
Old 03-02-2009, 03:23 PM   #26
Banned
Pster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Pster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfsupl View Post
Well.......if I am ever on the run and need a truck, I know where some of you junior members are hiding your key!
Watch who you're calling a jr member boy!
Old 03-02-2009, 04:28 PM   #27
surfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gregg
surfsupl's Tacoma Gallery
Notice how it just mentioned junior members?
Old 11-17-2013, 09:52 PM   #29
bluefoot is on a distinguished road
bluefoot's Tacoma Gallery
Used to zip tie a spare key underneath. Now use a supra key safe mounted to truck since we use the hitch. Can change the combo anytime.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:39 PM   #30
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithrw View Post
I put mine in a black magnetic key box then set it on top of the rear spring as far back as it will go. It's nearly impossible to see.
Except you just told everyone on an open forum that there's a Tacoma in Wichita with a black magnetic keybox on top of the rear spring as far back as it will go.....

....and the truck looks like this one

Old 11-17-2013, 10:44 PM   #31
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefoot View Post
Used to zip tie a spare key underneath. Now use a supra key safe mounted to truck since we use the hitch. Can change the combo anytime.
Those 4 wheel combo locks are extremely easy to "pick"
There's no way in hell I would use a "Hitch Safe" or whatever they call it.
I use a small Gunvault with that type of lock ONLY because it satisfies California's requirements for a "secure locking container"... not because I believe that it is a secure lock.

As a kid, I had my bicycle stolen three times locked with that type of lock.
It was a prank, I got it back every time, but it showed me that type of lock was worthless.
Old 11-17-2013, 11:21 PM   #32
Tacomaruss is on a distinguished road
Canadian Army: bin rat
Name: Russ
Tacomaruss's Tacoma Gallery
If you carry your phone around, buy an aftermarket remote keyless entry system (throw the remotes away) and add on a system (I have Drone) that allows you to remotely control your locks from anywhere in the world. As long as the truck is parked in an area with cell coverage it works. I can use my phone or the internet and control everything. Plus it alerts me to alarm triggers and or if the truck is moving.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:17 AM   #33
nd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
nd4spdbh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsocoee View Post
here's an idea...how about an entry only key. Get a copy made that doesn't have a chip in it, that way if someone does find it, they won't be able to start the truck.
thats exactly what i did.... some bailing wire and electrical tape holds / hides it on the small body cross member right by the front inner corner of the gas tank.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:27 AM   #34
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
There are all kinds of places to hide a key. The rear leaf spring is nice.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:29 AM   #35
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veccster View Post
I don't have a need for the valet key, besides it being another spare, and would like to hide it somewhere on the truck.

Anyone have a creative or unique hiding spot for an extra key?

I am thinking about installing a keyless entry pad but am too paranoid that something will malfunction or the pad battery will die and I'll be locked out. I would like to know that I have a back-up, even if it's hard to get to. I just need to be sure its not falling off.
Do you really think that's a good idea on a public forum? Just keep a spare in the truck and have the dealership make you a credit card key (only opens the door.)
Old 11-18-2013, 11:18 AM   #36
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
the best hiding spot is the one you didnt talk to a bunch of internet strangers about on some forum.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:11 PM   #37
tomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: E-4
Name: Tom
tomwilson74's Tacoma Gallery
If you zip tie it, make sure you have a pocket knife to cut the zip tie.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:14 PM   #38
The Sailing Memebr
anders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matthew
anders99's Tacoma Gallery
Magnet key box under the drivers side door on the frame. I accidentally found one the previous owner put there. I have used it multiple times
Old 11-18-2013, 12:33 PM   #39
Lone Star Club
whahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jimbob
whahahajr's Tacoma Gallery
My bins above the wheel wells pop out and I think that would be a good spot to tape one on top of it.

I once found a spare key that was behind the license plate. The bolt went threw it to the bumper. Not a bad idea seeing that you can take the bolts out with a coin if you had to.

Products Discussed in this Thread