Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Hide-a-key locations

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-02-2009, 09:21 AM   #1
bass turds
Veccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Veccster's Tacoma Gallery
Hide-a-key locations

I don't have a need for the valet key, besides it being another spare, and would like to hide it somewhere on the truck.

Anyone have a creative or unique hiding spot for an extra key?

I am thinking about installing a keyless entry pad but am too paranoid that something will malfunction or the pad battery will die and I'll be locked out. I would like to know that I have a back-up, even if it's hard to get to. I just need to be sure its not falling off.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:23 AM   #2
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
try locking your keys in the truck. It is very hard to do.

I normally hide keys, but I didn't bother with the Tacoma, because I only lock the doors with the remote.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:30 AM   #3
bass turds
Veccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsocoee View Post
try locking your keys in the truck. It is very hard to do.

I normally hide keys, but I didn't bother with the Tacoma, because I only lock the doors with the remote.

I agree. But, once I install a keyless entry pad, I will purposely be locking the keys in my truck. I hate having my keys when snowboarding or riding my dirt bike. I'll lock them in there and use the keyless pad to get in.

In the rare instance that I lock them in there and the keyless entry doesn't work or has a dead battery, I'd like to have a hidden key to fall back on.

Just for peace of mind, I guess
Old 03-02-2009, 09:39 AM   #4
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
My friend Jay idea was to take black hockey tape & taped a spare to the top of one of the storage bed boxes so it blends in for just the reason you said. Its super sticky even in the cold weather (what its made for I guess). We ride & have seen too many keys, cellphones, etc. fly out the trail. I worry about it too. Now you open the box & see nothing, but I know we have an extra key just in case (& all of the forum too )
Old 03-02-2009, 09:41 AM   #5
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
here's an idea...how about an entry only key. Get a copy made that doesn't have a chip in it, that way if someone does find it, they won't be able to start the truck.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:43 AM   #6
UnderWater Monopoly Champion
TicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: F-15 Crew-Chief
Name: Anastatia Beaverhausen
TicTacOma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to TicTacOma
Got a hitch/receiver? http://www.hitchsafe.com/ The 2nd generation Tacomas need a longer pin but the maker provides them.

This link explains it much better along with great photos. http://the-gadgeteer.com/2006/09/01/...afe_key_vault/

The video is funny to watch. I guess your dog has to be really, really good to unlock the doors when you ask it to do so.

I hide my keys after I color them, this only happens once a year and then the neighbors kids usually find them before I do.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:46 AM   #7
higherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
higherlux's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to higherlux
on the inside of the frame rail up under the drivers seat
Old 03-02-2009, 09:48 AM   #8
╒╪╕
MyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
MyToyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MyToyTaco
Quote:
Originally Posted by TicTacOma View Post
Got a hitch/receiver? http://www.hitchsafe.com/ The 2nd generation Tacomas need a longer pin but the maker provides them.

I hide my keys after I color them, this only happens once a year and then the neighbors kids usually find them before I do.
this thing is pretty cool..
Old 03-02-2009, 09:51 AM   #9
1 man wolf pack
Hardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Evan
Hardcorehehaw's Tacoma Gallery
I'm sure you can find a spot on the frame rails to hide it. Since you won't be accessing it very often, just crawl out under your truck and find a good spot and duct tape the crap out of it.
Also might be a good idea to get a entry only key like Isocoee said. You won't have to worry about theft when the keys aren't locked in or water/moisture getting inside the valet key and messing up the chip.

IMO the hitch safe isn't necessary if you're getting a keypad.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:09 AM   #10
bass turds

Quote:
Originally Posted by xedge View Post
My friend Jay idea was to take black hockey tape & taped a spare to the top of one of the storage bed boxes so it blends in for just the reason you said. Its super sticky...snip
That is a great idea. I like putting it in the bed because, if the tape fails, the key is not going far. Plus, it's easy to make sure its still there. If I put it up under a frame rail and it falls out, I'll never know it unless I check or lock myself out.

Quote:
here's an idea...how about an entry only key. Get a copy made that doesn't have a chip in it, that way if someone does find it, they won't be able to start the truck.
I do like this idea and will look into the cost for an entry-only key.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TicTacOma View Post

...snip
That is a very cool idea. But I wouldn't be able to use my Steeler hitch cover . Plus, I may eventually have a trailer for my bikes and will need the hitch for its intended purpose.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:15 AM   #11
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
The best ones aren't disclosed on a forum.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:25 AM   #12
1 man wolf pack
Hardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veccster View Post
That is a great idea. I like putting it in the bed because, if the tape fails, the key is not going far. Plus, it's easy to make sure its still there. If I put it up under a frame rail and it falls out, I'll never know it unless I check or lock myself out.
If you put it on top of a frame rail and properly secure it with a zip tie, it's not gonna go anywhere. Personally, I think a spare key would be easy to spot in the bed and wouldn't want to take that chance.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:08 PM   #13
JTech is a splendid one to beholdJTech is a splendid one to beholdJTech is a splendid one to beholdJTech is a splendid one to beholdJTech is a splendid one to beholdJTech is a splendid one to beholdJTech is a splendid one to behold

JTech's Tacoma Gallery
^ x2

I ziptied an entry only key on the frame. works great, can't see it and it won't go anywhere
Old 03-02-2009, 12:12 PM   #14
My hair is all natural

lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veccster View Post
I do like this idea and will look into the cost for an entry-only key.
An entry only key should just be a hardware store copy of your existing key (~$5)
Old 03-02-2009, 12:50 PM   #15
bass turds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcorehehaw View Post
If you put it on top of a frame rail and properly secure it with a zip tie, it's not gonna go anywhere. Personally, I think a spare key would be easy to spot in the bed and wouldn't want to take that chance.
Guess I didn't think about zip tying it somewhere. I was thinking about tape and figured that wouldn't stay on very long. I don't trust those magnets either.

Quote:
An entry only key should just be a hardware store copy of your existing key (~$5)
I don't really understand how these chipped keys work and figured they couldn't reproduce them at a hardware store. I take it you are saying they can make an "entry-only" key that does not start the engine becuase it does not have the chip in it.

Makes sense.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:52 PM   #16
UnderWater Monopoly Champion
TicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: F-15 Crew-Chief
Name: Anastatia Beaverhausen
TicTacOma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to TicTacOma
Lowe's did mine with the understanding that it is NOT a chip key. Cheap nickels.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:37 PM   #17
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcorehehaw View Post
My key cannot be seen for its inside the storage box taped to the top with black tape. I guess the thief could open the tailgate, reach under the tonneau & open the box & feel around in there. 2 yrs it hasn't fallen off the top.

The zip tie is a good idea too
How do you keep it from being exposed to the salt & such?
I'll probably do this next, thanks
Old 03-02-2009, 02:03 PM   #18
Munkey is an unknown quantity at this point
Munkey's Tacoma Gallery
So, how close does a chipped key need to be to the ignition switch/dash for the truck to start with a none chipped/entry only key?

My point being. If you hide/lock the key in the truck so you don't have to carry it with you, and someone finds the entry only key that you have hidden. Will they be able to use the none chipped entry only key to drive away even if they don't find the chipped key?
Old 03-02-2009, 02:30 PM   #19
1 man wolf pack

Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by xedge View Post
How do you keep it from being exposed to the salt & such?
Live in Florida where the roads don't get salted
If you're just using a cheap non-chipped key it doesn't really matter what it's exposed to.

I'm unable to store a key anywhere in the bed because I have a locking tonneau cover (on the way).
Old 03-02-2009, 02:55 PM   #20
JTech is a splendid one to beholdJTech is a splendid one to beholdJTech is a splendid one to beholdJTech is a splendid one to beholdJTech is a splendid one to beholdJTech is a splendid one to beholdJTech is a splendid one to behold

JTech's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah I live in Arizona...We don't really do the whole salt thing!

Products Discussed in this Thread