Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

4x4 versus 2wd TRD

Old 03-02-2009, 11:01 AM   #21
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback07 View Post
yeah, that looks nice.
but then there is always the mag gray with my current wheels on there...

Old 03-02-2009, 11:03 AM   #23
Gunga will become famous soon enoughGunga will become famous soon enough
Gunga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steviestyles View Post
You probably won't need 4x4 in Arizona unless you plan on driving in deep desert sand. Many people here at TW do fine with a Pre-Runner with the LSD or Locker. I don't know about Arizona, but wether you buy from a dealer or a private party, the state is still going to get you for sales tax. You pay either at the dealer or the DMV when you go get your plates, but the state still gets their money. Arizona may be different.
We do get some deep sand in some washes out here. We deal with mud occassionally up north too.
So far Arizona does not make you pay tax on private sales. I emphasize "so far". I think some lawmakers are trying to change that. They won't be able to change before I buy one.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:05 AM   #24
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornTaco View Post
My vote is 4x4. I had an '06 PreRunner because I thought I'd never need 4WD. Then, situations changed and I moved to Minnesota where 4WD is VERY handy. TRaded the PreRunner in for my 4WD.

I really just don't see a downside to having the 4WD, even if you don't need it. 'Cause you just never know......
Higher insurance
Higher cost of maintenance
Higher cost of purchase
Lower gas mileage

(those are potential downsides for some people...)
Old 03-02-2009, 11:08 AM   #25
Mayor of TW

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback07 View Post
but the upside's far outweigh the downsides.
The ability to go where you probably shouldn't have been in the first place.
The ability to put your vehicle in precarious positions much easier.
More things to spend money on (front locker for example)
those are awesome...! I'm convinced
Old 03-02-2009, 11:14 AM   #26
The "Search" tab is your friend!!
steviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Name: Steve
steviestyles's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunga View Post
We do get some deep sand in some washes out here. We deal with mud occassionally up north too.
So far Arizona does not make you pay tax on private sales. I emphasize "so far". I think some lawmakers are trying to change that. They won't be able to change before I buy one.

That's cool. Arizona may be one of the few reamining states that does that. More and more states are closing that loophole of buying used, and buying out of state. Jersey is militant in getting their taxes on private sales. I bought a used motorcycle a couple of years back from a private seller. I bought a 2005 Honda CBR 600rr in 2006. The seller tried to hook me up and put on the seller's statement that I bought the bike for $3K when I paid $7K. I went to the Jersey DMV and when they looked at the sellers statement, the tax official looked up the book value in a NADA guide. Since the sellers disclosure was stated at less then half the book value, they wanted to issue me a salvaged title. I was like WTF? So I ended up paying taxes on the $7K Jersey blows
Old 03-02-2009, 11:17 AM   #27
Gunga will become famous soon enoughGunga will become famous soon enough
Gunga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delmarva View Post
Higher insurance
Higher cost of maintenance
Higher cost of purchase
Lower gas mileage

(those are potential downsides for some people...)
Insurance was $1.00 a month more
Some extra maintenance, yes
Higher resale
1 mpg different
Old 03-02-2009, 12:01 PM   #28
spaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud of

Army: Ret. USAR Sgt.
spaghettiedy's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't ever own a 2wd truck, but I live in Pittsburgh. It all depends how much you offroad. Just a little, go w/ 2wd. If you always offroading, get the 4x4 for sure.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:18 PM   #29
raskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
raskal311's Tacoma Gallery
If $$ isn't an issue go for the 4x4... other wise the extra few grand isnt' worth just to have it, or may need it once a year.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:20 PM   #30
Rammstein is on a distinguished road
Rammstein's Tacoma Gallery
I had a 2wd with the trd off road package and sold it and bought a 4x4 with the trd off road package. I guarantee if you get the 2wd you will regret it. There is nothing worse then wishing you had a 4x4. Besides, the 4x4 mud flaps are pretty awesome.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:34 PM   #31
The "Search" tab is your friend!!
steviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Name: Steve
steviestyles's Tacoma Gallery
You definitely see more and more members here at TW trading in/selling their 4x2's to get a 4x4 than vice versa.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:41 PM   #32
Mayor of TW

I look it like this:

If I still lived in AZ, I would keep my Prerunner -- it has done everything I asked of it in the desert.

I live on the right coast now. The wheeling is different out here. My Prerunner can't hack it... hence the upcoming upgrade to 4x4.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:04 PM   #33
nvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nvdeserted's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't even consider buying a truck that isn't 4x4.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:12 PM   #35
bishes love my haircut
Gr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
Gr8WhiteTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Gr8WhiteTaco
I'm thinking bout painting my taco pyrite mica when i get a new bed on it becuase it'll have to be painted anyways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delmarva View Post
that's my wife's favorite color too...

I never would have thought that... I like it because it'll hide dirt well... plus some nice countersteers in bronze would look oofta on there:

Old 03-02-2009, 03:58 PM   #36
kbaum08 will become famous soon enough
kbaum08's Tacoma Gallery
4 wheel drive costs more initially, maintenance is higher and fuel economy is a little lower however, like the other posters have said when you need it you need it. I believe you likely get your initial cost back with a higher resale value and probably a larger market for your truck.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:18 PM   #37
bass turds
Veccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Veccster's Tacoma Gallery
Why is maintenance higher for a 4x4?

Maybe this is the case when you hit 150+ miles and 8-9 years later, but for the average daily commuter, a 4x4 shouldn't cost more.

The resale alone would drive me to get a 4x4. Most people buying a used "wheeler" want 4wd. Most people in the north, want (or must have) 4wd. You will make up the additional purchase cost (or more) on the resale.

Plus, it's just cooler to say "yeah, it's 4wd"