Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

4x4 versus 2wd TRD

Old 03-02-2009, 09:49 AM   #1
Gunga will become famous soon enoughGunga will become famous soon enough
Gunga's Tacoma Gallery
4x4 versus 2wd TRD

I'm in the market to buy a Tacoma and am debating between 4x4 and 2wd with TRD. I will use it for camping and eventually pulling a popup. I'm leaning toward 4x4 because here in Arizona we like to camp as far away from everyone else as we can. As I understand it, in a 2wd, TRD offroad package does give you a locking rear diff. Is that correct?
Old 03-02-2009, 09:50 AM   #2
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
Arizona = 2wd... no need for the 4x4

(let the poo flinging begin... )
Old 03-02-2009, 09:58 AM   #3
Gunga's Tacoma Gallery
DelMarva,
Have you been to Arizona? Besides Phoenix or Tucson?
Old 03-02-2009, 10:07 AM   #4
raskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
raskal311's Tacoma Gallery
I camp, fish, snowboard, scuba, ect... all the time... I'm out doing something just about every week and never needed a 4x4... Event went mudding two weeks ago with not issue at all.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:08 AM   #5
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunga View Post
DelMarva,
Have you been to Arizona? Besides Phoenix or Tucson?
I lived in Southern Arizona for 5 years....
Old 03-02-2009, 10:13 AM   #6
Gunga's Tacoma Gallery
Sierra Vista's different terrain from Flagstaff or the White Mountains.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:15 AM   #7
Mayor of TW

Quote:
Sierra Vista's different terrain from Flagstaff or the White Mountains.
I took my PRERUNNER to the white mountains quite a bit...

hence my theory about ability and number of drive wheels...

98% of driving off road lies in skill and ability... not the availability of a switch on the dash
Old 03-02-2009, 10:20 AM   #8
Gunga's Tacoma Gallery
I've been wheeling for 20 years and you're right, ability matters most. I have a 1978 built CJ7 for serious wheeling.
My biggest issue is more about pulling a popup thru the back country. I don't want to get in a situation where I need 4x4 that one time in the woods where I'm by myself.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:29 AM   #9
FastFalcon is on a distinguished road
FastFalcon's Tacoma Gallery
I would get 4x4. I live in Florida..no snow or mountains, but lots of soft sand on the trails and beaches. I still get 18.5 mpg with mixed driving, so economy isn't an issue. Wet boat ramps also make 4x4 great for me. You just have to decide it it's worth 3k. However, when you go to resell your truck you should get most of the 3k back.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:30 AM   #10
Mayor of TW

Quote:
I've been wheeling for 20 years and you're right, ability matters most. I have a 1978 built CJ7 for serious wheeling.
My biggest issue is more about pulling a popup thru the back country. I don't want to get in a situation where I need 4x4 that one time in the woods where I'm by myself.
sounds like you've already made up your mind

and yes, the TRD Prerunner OR has a locking rear diff
Old 03-02-2009, 10:35 AM   #11
Gunga's Tacoma Gallery
There are a lot of Prerunners for sale out here but not many 4x4's. And I'm trying to stay away from dealers. Saves a lot of money on taxes. I'll just have to keep looking.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:41 AM   #12
dirthawker1313 is a splendid one to beholddirthawker1313 is a splendid one to beholddirthawker1313 is a splendid one to beholddirthawker1313 is a splendid one to beholddirthawker1313 is a splendid one to beholddirthawker1313 is a splendid one to beholddirthawker1313 is a splendid one to behold

dirthawker1313's Tacoma Gallery
i have a DC 4x2 and i got the thing stuck in soft sand on the side of the highway..so now im looking into 4x4.. i should have just got the 4x4 to begin with.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:41 AM   #13
The "Search" tab is your friend!!
steviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Name: Steve
steviestyles's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
There are a lot of Prerunners for sale out here but not many 4x4's. And I'm trying to stay away from dealers. Saves a lot of money on taxes. I'll just have to keep looking.
You probably won't need 4x4 in Arizona unless you plan on driving in deep desert sand. Many people here at TW do fine with a Pre-Runner with the LSD or Locker. I don't know about Arizona, but wether you buy from a dealer or a private party, the state is still going to get you for sales tax. You pay either at the dealer or the DMV when you go get your plates, but the state still gets their money. Arizona may be different.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:42 AM   #14
Mayor of TW

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirthawker1313 View Post
i have a DC 4x2 and i got the thing stuck in soft sand on the side of the highway..so now im looking into 4x4.. i should have just got the 4x4 to begin with.

Old 03-02-2009, 10:44 AM   #15
Joe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to behold
Joe B's Tacoma Gallery
When in doubt,go 4X4.
It's better than maybe wishing you did.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:44 AM   #16
Mayor of TW

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback07 View Post
I would say get a 4x4..this will ensure you can go fishing and camping wherever you choose. I'd rather have it and not need it, than not have it and need it.

And for those who say 2WD's can go wherever 4x4's can.. well we proved that to be false 2 weeks ago when we had to winch or pull all the 2WD's up the same hill the 4WD guys drove up.

The view from a 2WD
the trick to having a 2wd is not putting yourself in that situation...

Don't get me wrong... I'm in process of looking for an 09 4x4
Old 03-02-2009, 10:45 AM   #17
Redneck from the hills
cbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
cbcs1987's Tacoma Gallery
You can have something and not need it, and it doesnt really matter. Then when you need something and dont have it....well that just sucks!
I agree its a lot of driving skill, but theres only so much 2 wheels can do. I honestly can't even imagine owning a 2wd truck ever again. I drove one for years. The first time I used 4wd I wanted to kick my own ass for not gettin a truck with it years ago.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:51 AM   #18
Mayor of TW

Quote:
true... but when thats the only way to go.... well then that just sucks. Not to say that 4WD is some silver bullet either... I've been stuck many times. That's why you get recovery gear and don't wheel alone.

Good luck getting an 09. Same color?
I'm torn... mag gray, barc red, or pyrite mica...

think I'm done with the SWB for a while...
Old 03-02-2009, 10:55 AM   #19
Mayor of TW

Quote:
I saw a TRD OR in pyrite... looked awesome. I'd love to have that color.
that's my wife's favorite color too...

I never would have thought that... I like it because it'll hide dirt well... plus some nice countersteers in bronze would look oofta on there:

Old 03-02-2009, 10:55 AM   #20
Gunga's Tacoma Gallery
I can definitely take you to some places out here where 2wd won't make it. It has to do with spots where one rear wheel is off the ground and you're relying on the other side to get traction.