1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear Axle Seal Replacement

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by masterarcher, Jul 28, 2013.

1. Jul 28, 2013 at 7:28 AM
    masterarcher

masterarcher [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Austin Tx
    Vehicle:
    2019 Taco SR 4dr 4x4 3.5l V6
    Hi everyone, I just finished replacing the inner seals on my 2007 Tacoma's rear axle. I just wanted to share what I did and what I learned. Firstly after researching a bit I was able to find a couple write ups that helped. The one that helped the most was for a 4-Runner so it was a little different but the basics of the steps are the same.
    Here is a link to that:
    That one is pretty detailed, so i will just point out the differences.
    - The part numbers for the orings and seals are different, but the Dealership will give you the right ones. They were $8 for the seals and $3.50 for the orings.

1. First put something under the front wheels to chock them up. Make sure there is no way that the vehicle can roll. Once you have the rear end off the ground (especially if you remove both rear wheels) there is nothing to keep the truck from rolling. The parking brake has to be off to complete the procedure, and the pawl lock (if you have an auto transmission) will not save you, as it only locks up the rear wheels, which will now be off the ground. WARNING: THE VEHICLE MUST NOT BE ABLE TO ROLL, NOT EVEN A CENTIMETER. IF IT ROLLS WHILE UP ON THE JACKSTANDS IT MAY FALL ON YOU AND COULD KILL YOU, MAIM YOU, OR OTHERWISE SERIOUSLY INJURE YOU.

2. Next, get the rear end up one side at a time. I placed a jack under the axle, removed the wheel, and placed a jack stand under the frame near the rear of the vehicle, in front of the rear axle. I also placed a second jack stand under the rear axle to better support the axle and the vehicle itself. The stands under the axle also help to keep it level so that all of your gear oil doesn’t pour out of the pumpkin.

3. Now take the rubber hammer and lightly strike the drum until it comes loose and you can pull it off the wheel studs. Once you remove it, you will see that the inside is full of thick black grease. This is a combination of gear oil and brake dust.

4. Once you have the drum off, you will be able to see all of the brake components inside. These will also be covered with a layer of thick black grease.

5. Take some time at this point to spray down the brake assembly with some brake cleaner. Place a catch pan underneath the brakes, make sure you have good ventilation, and go to town. I used an entire can per side spraying off grease and brake dust with brake cleaner.

6. Next, locate the rubber brake lines where they come to the axle and into the metal line just to the drivers side of the pumpkin. One at a time use some vice grip pliers to pinch the line closed, but not too tight, or you may damage the line. This will prevent you from losing large amounts of brake fluid to gravity when you remove the brake lines from the backing plate.

7. This is where the procedure will differ a bit, from the link. Here you will need to remove the brake shoes and all the springs and stuff attached. The Haynes manual has lots of pictures and a good procedure for this. When its done it will look like this:
    IMG_0225_8c1ef41c5a58e47224d6473615c9d650570cd7a5.jpg

8. Now you will need to disconnect the brake line from the cylinder (10mm).
    IMG_0228_e35acc579296cab88f355c682ffe4160c70c7c0d.jpg

and the ABS Sensor (10mm):
    IMG_0229_05fe55faeb3c781cf12503a09f26dd4c587fd093.jpg

9. Now you will need to remove the Parking brake cable, Just unscrew the 2 10mm bolts and slide it out.
    IMG_0232_d8519e430de54fbaa8150ca9ce4483720524b090.jpg

IMG_0230_1f860ed9cdd35107641142919df3a9edd5d1384c.jpg

10. When everything is disconnected you can undo the 14mm bolts holding on the backing plate. You might need to spray some penetrant on it as they were pretty tough.

IMG_0227_9ff94bbfc33aa9bd0fcbd15925346aa7438f3d84.jpg

11. And CAREFULLY slide the axle out. It weighs about 30-35 lbs but is awkward, so if you have someone to help you, use them. This will leave you looking like this.

IMG_0221_408743b8f67910c2baebb3f7bfbcea1282dec29a.jpg
    IMG_0224_3bc8250dd9813515e92f2379208b5810b45e7b14.jpg

12. Now you can use your seal puller (around $10-$15 at auto zone) to remove the old seal, being careful not to scratch the axle tube.

13. After wiping everything down with a lint free cloth you can install the new seal. Make sure it goes in straight and goes in until it is flush. You can use pvc, a seal driver, or i used a piece of wood and rubber mallet.

14. now put everything back together, dont forget the new o-ring on the backing plate. Check the haynes manual for the torques specs. and bleed the brake lines before you try driving around.

I was pretty nervous about doing this myself, but loking back it was pretty easy, with good preparation and research.

2. Jul 28, 2013 at 7:38 AM
    Supra TT

Supra TT Supercharged Lifter

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2000 SAS D60 F/R Supercharged
    Supercharged on One Tons
    Nice write-up. Only suggestion would be to include the correct part numbers for the rear seals. It makes it alot easier to just be able to see the part #, go online and order it for some! :thumbsup:

EdgemanVA likes this.
  3. Jul 28, 2013 at 10:04 AM
    Azntrutek

Azntrutek Well-Known Member

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    08 TRDsport -Towpackage
    2".5 lift, HID head lamp and HID lights, color match tonneau cover and running board.
    Great jobs brother and nice write up . Thank you

4. Jul 28, 2013 at 3:19 PM
    PMK

PMK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB TRD Sport
    White, debadged, Mudflaps removed, ICON 2.5 in front, 2.0 in rear, all 4 corners have reservoirs, Spidertrax wheel spacers all around, BAMF bolt on sliders, Avid lightbar, oem transmission cooler converted to power steering cooler, aftermarket transmission cooler eliminating all oem transmission cooler stuff, remote mounted spin on transmission fluid filter TrueTrac rear differential, rear diff housing vented and filtered into left side bed box, URD MAF calibrator, Volant intake scoop into oem airbox, second filter removed, airbox internals smoothed, blended and polished throttle body, NST intake manifold spacer, Wet Okolee set covers, WeatherTech Digital Fit mats, inexpensive JVC single DIN, Scangage, AVS Stepshield door sill protectors, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, URD Y pipe with O2 sims.
    I realize you only needed seals, but often times if you have the money, do the wheel bearings also. They are right there and if they fail, you must do all of this again.

Good right up though.

PK

5. Jul 28, 2013 at 3:33 PM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    Well... the wheel bearings aren't cheap, nor are they easy to replace. They are right there but compared to replacing the wheel bearings this is a walk in the park, so no it really doesn't make any sense to replace them unless needed. Also, the majority of the people on this forum wouldn't be able to tackle the wheel bearings but may be able to do the seal.

Also, you can unclip the wheel sensor you don't have to unbolt it.

JLink likes this.
  6. Jun 9, 2015 at 6:02 PM
    midwestisbest

midwestisbest Active Member

Member:
    Great Falls, MT
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 TRD-Off Road DCSB
    Coil spacers, add-a-leaf spring, Rear Diff Breather mod, BHLM
    Fantastic write-up! It helped out a lot. I was pretty intimidated to do this and had been putting it off for about 6 months. I completed the "Diff Breather Mod" a month ago to keep from blowing the seal out again, so that was out of the way.
    Everything came apart easier than expected. However, I used about 2 cans of brake cleaner and a lot of shop towels to wipe the differential fluid/brake dust/grit and dirt off the inside and out of the drum. It was absolutely horrible looking. When I was taking the axle itself out, it popped out way easier than expected so I really wasn't ready for that.
    As I got it out, the retaining spring (or whatever it is called) that holds the seal in place around the axle was dangling at the end of the axle where the splines were along with small piece of elastic string tied around the axle with a loop??? No doubt the spring being out of place is what caused the seal to fail and leak fluid, but I have no idea what the string was there for? Possibly used to hold an identification tag of some sorts and wasn't removed prior to installation.
    Reinstallation was also a breeze, except the brakes were a bit of a PITA. But with the use of a Chilton manual, all went as smooth as I could possibly get it. I installed Russell Speedbleeders and bled all the old brake fluid out. They're amazing!
    I've driven approximately 600 miles over the past week and I haven't noticed any leaks. If all stays that way, I'll replace the brake shoes and drums before long.

The link below was very useful too. I encourage all to watch before tackling this as well as reading up on this post and the link Masterarcher posted. All combined, even a newb like myself can do it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELTp5QqjTKA&list=WL&index=1

7. Jul 21, 2017 at 4:24 PM
    bradforj

bradforj Well-Known Member

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 v6 TRD Sport
    2012+ Front End Swap 2014 steering wheel swap w/audio and BT controls 2014 power window controls 2014 lower center dash and radio bezel 2014 a/c controls Auto-dimming mirror Heated side mirrors Turn signal side mirrors Backup camera DNX890HD head unit Kenwood speaker system Kobalt slim toolbox In-channel Ventvisors N-Fab running boards
    I also have a leak in the rear driver side axle. I am at a loss trying to put together a parts list to have everything ready for the shop. I want to replace everything that could possibly be a problem, including the bearing and hub assembly. Does anyone who has done this job have a parts list?

nudavinci64 likes this.
  8. Dec 3, 2019 at 1:59 PM
    negril

negril Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    FL
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport Access Cab Inferno
    Graphics
    Does anyone know if a 2008 base model 4 cyl automatic and 5 lug wheels uses a similar setup?

9. Dec 3, 2019 at 2:22 PM
    nd4spdbh

nd4spdbh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto

pretty sure its identical.

10. Dec 19, 2019 at 9:02 AM
    drewbert41

drewbert41 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Champaign, IL
    Vehicle:
    05 Silver DCSB 4x4 TRD
    My right rear axle seal is leaking. The mechanic told me thats its a 3 hour job that involves removing the bearing to get to the seal. That is not what happened in this video. I showed him what was done in the video and he said that would probably be an hour job.

which is correct?

11. Dec 23, 2019 at 6:24 AM
    drewbert41

drewbert41 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Champaign, IL
    Vehicle:
    05 Silver DCSB 4x4 TRD
  12. Feb 9, 2020 at 9:35 AM

425 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Hillsboro, OR
    Vehicle:
    2007 DCLB Sport
    Progressive AAL Banks Exhaust Leer 100R AFE CAI & TBS Kenwood Deck
    The 3 hour job is due to the hub/bearing replacement. This is because a leaking seal will let diff oil into the bearing and ruin the grease in the bearing thus shortening life or ruining the bearing. I found out my dealer is willing to do the axle/bearing pressing etc for me for about .5-1 hr of labor. I would agree that 1-1.5hrs is what you would be charged to do just the axle seal. I'm going to tackle this (with bearing replacement) next week! Still hate how intricate drum brakes are, springs and I don't get along... The amount of springs/pieces is stupid, hence why most vehicles have discs now days.

13. Feb 10, 2020 at 6:50 AM
    EdgemanVA

EdgemanVA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2008 X-Runner
    Several
    This might be a good time to do a rear disk brake conversion.

14. Feb 10, 2020 at 9:45 AM
    TnShooter

TnShooter The TacomaWorld Stray

Member:
    First Name:
    Deogee
    Vehicle:
    07' TRD Off-Road, Auto
    STOCK
    FWIW, I did not replace my wheel bearing when I replaced my seal. I’m at almost 50k since.

The axle has to come out. I disconnect the brake line from the wheel cylinder. Then capped the line to keep the fluid from running out. The worst part for me was the drum brakes. I’ve always found them intimidating.
    You’ll also need to disconnect the E-brake cable.

Drain the diff.
    I lowered the opposite side of the axle one notch on the jack stand to help keep the diff fluid from running out on me. Even with the diff drained some will still try to run out the axle tube. So lowering the opposite side of the axle helps.

If you are going to replace the bearing, I’d probably let some one else do the job. It’s pressed on the axle. It’s take some funky setup to get it off with out the correct tools.

Good luck to you guys. Hopefully you can be back on the road soon.

15. Feb 10, 2020 at 2:55 PM
    ThatguyJZ

ThatguyJZ Instagram: thatguyjz

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    TRIAD, NC
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM DCSB 4x4 TRD Off Road
    A TRD OR built into a Baja/PRO hybrid
    I did axle seals on my wife's 2008 4th gen 4Runner and I can say on that vehicle it is possible to remove the axle assemblies without disconnecting the e-brake cable and removing all of the drum hardware. Granted that's an entirely different rear brake setup than on our tacomas. But I unbolted the e-brake line brackets as far up the chassis as I could and that actually gave enough slack in the line to just get the axles out.

Might be worth trying on the Tacoma if you're just going after the seals and not the bearings

16. Apr 13, 2021 at 1:51 PM
    km87

km87 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kurt
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma 4 cyl, 4WD, MT.
    Silly question and I know the answer is in front of me.

How did he take off the brake shoe assembly without taking it all the way apart??

point45 likes this.
  17. Apr 13, 2021 at 1:54 PM
    6 gearT444E

6 gearT444E Certified Electron Pusher

Member:
    Deep South
    Herculiner Hootus
    The entire axle shaft with backing plate/brake setup will remove with just 4 bolts, and disconnected the brake and e-brake line. No need to mess with drum springs.

km87[QUOTED] likes this.
  18. Apr 13, 2021 at 2:03 PM
    km87

km87 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kurt
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma 4 cyl, 4WD, MT.
    Oh perfect, I appreciate it. The lowest I was quoted for this repair is $400, with only the wheel seal. I already dropped $1800 to get my steering rack replaced. That one did me in.

19. Apr 13, 2021 at 3:56 PM
    Hans Moleman

Hans Moleman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2023 F-150 Powerboost
    Is this the best write up for axle seal replacement?

km87 likes this.
  20. Apr 13, 2021 at 7:58 PM
    6 gearT444E

6 gearT444E Certified Electron Pusher

Member:
    Deep South
    Herculiner Hootus
    not sure what else you’d need to know, seems pretty good to me.

km87 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top