1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Turning your frame sliders into a nerf bar and back!!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by geekhouse23, Jul 28, 2013.

1. Jul 28, 2013 at 2:49 PM
    geekhouse23

geekhouse23 [OP] The "Liftman" - @DrFunker

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2GMGMDCSB4WDTRDFTMFW!! TL;DR
    mostly stock, grocery gettin' Prius
    Hello,

I am new to the forum, but I have had my 2013 DCSB Tacoma for almost a year now and I am at the stage of lifting her. (Set on an OME 3" lift kit with LR UCA's and I will be pulling the trigger in about a week)

But my dilemma after lifting the truck will be a set of nerf bars or sliders.

I do not do that much off-roading, however I do like the look and stealthily-ness (being tight against the body and frame) as well as the durability of sliders.

As far a nerf bars go, I think they look ok, but they aren't as durable as sliders and not to mention you lose the ground clearance after adding the lift. :( I was looking at the Go Rhino Dominator II's from AutoAnything but sliders are roughly the same price ~$300 +/-

I might have found a solution and that is what I am posting about:

I was thinking of ordering frame sliders then picking up a set of these bad boys here:

http://stores.streetacos.com/-strse-108/STEPS--fdsh--FOUR-/Detail.bok

(For those wanting more info, check this thread here: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/beefed-taco/138280-bolt-steps-sliders-here-3.html)

I can now have the best of both worlds! :yay:

My question to the forum is; Has anyone ever run this setup before and what are your opinions? Do the steps slide and move after long periods of wear?

Would current slider owners order a pair of these after seeing them?

The steps would be purchased for elder family members whom I drive around every so often :eek: and would most likely not be kept on the truck for long periods of time.

2. Jul 28, 2013 at 3:12 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I've got them on my wife's sliders and I had them on my truck for a while.

Fr long term use: The rubber strips that act as isolators between the collar and the slider dry rot and aren't going to stay together for more than one install/uninstall cycle...but they are easy enuf to replace. The collars/rubber will also strip the paint. Expect to have to kick a bit to get them off the slider too. Fr short term use (like a day or two) probably no big deal. Mine didn't move at AT ALL ever.

I found some gritted tape at the hardware store that made a great coating for the top of the step.
    Make sure to get some good hardware for the collars and keep them as corrosion free as possible (fluid film worked for me).

Overall-Would do again.

3. Jul 29, 2013 at 7:22 AM
    geekhouse23

geekhouse23 [OP] The "Liftman" - @DrFunker

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2GMGMDCSB4WDTRDFTMFW!! TL;DR
    mostly stock, grocery gettin' Prius
    Thanks for the info!! I greatly appreciate it. I think this the route I am going to go. I will post pics once I receive everything and put it all together.

Products Discussed in

To Top