1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Broken Pop & Lock PL5300 - Need Help Please

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by sfleischer82, Jul 28, 2013.

1. Jul 28, 2013 at 4:18 PM
    sfleischer82

sfleischer82 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    2013 Silver 4WD V6 TRD Sport
    I'm another victim of the Pop N' Lock garbage. I've searched on here and found some good information on getting into the bed and opening the tailgate but my situation might be unique.

Basically, the tailgate is locked. when I pull the handle, there's 0 pressure. You can easily flick the handle back and forth if that makes sense. I can turn the key to the lock position (already locked), but it won't turn right. I'm not sure what the problem is, but really what I need to do is get in to open it manually.

That's fine BUT I can't figure a good way to get my tonneau cover off. I have the Extang Solid Fold and it locks down on the side rails with these types of clamps.

[​IMG]

I have no idea how to pry the cover up enough to be able to pull the handles down. The only available tension is barely enough to lift up to fit my hand under. Any ideas on the issue, a fix or getting the tailgate open?

2. Jul 28, 2013 at 4:24 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Reach up between the fender side and bed and you should be able to pop the pockets out above the tires. From there you may be able to maneuver a hand around to release at least one of the locks.

3. Jul 28, 2013 at 4:54 PM
    sfleischer82

Member:
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    i appreciate the advice, thank you. i just took a look and couldn't really find where you're referring to exactly. do model and year matter? i have a 2013 tacoma (access cab TRD sport). any further information would be appreciated.

4. Jul 28, 2013 at 4:58 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Do you still have the little storage pockets on the side of the bed above the wheelwells? I remember some conversation about them being moved on the '13 shortbeds.
    They aren't screwed in... just snapped in.

5. Jul 28, 2013 at 4:58 PM
    That Dude Tim

That Dude Tim Toyota Technician

Member:
    Elyria, OH
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport 4x4 DCLB
    Falken Wildpeak AT3/W, BLK Mk6, ICON's, Firestone Ride Rites, SHLM, Rear view camera switch, 7-pin in bumper, Lighted 4x4 switch, ImMrYo bracket, mudflap delete
    He is talking about these pockets above the wheel wells in the bed. They should pop out into the bed.

[​IMG]

6. Jul 28, 2013 at 5:04 PM
    sfleischer82

Member:
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    i guess we will find out. i have a regular bed but can't recall the exact location. i'll have to get up under there tomorrow. i hope they're in a location where i can get to the cover brackets...

although i'm not 100% sure the 2013 models even have them.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2013
  7. Jul 29, 2013 at 7:54 AM
    SAXD Taco

SAXD Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB, 4X4, MGM
    N-Fab Steps, BakFlip F1, TRD Accessory Skid Plate, Toyota Bed Mat, Husky Liner Floormats
    Let us know how you managed to release the cover with the tailgate locked. I have the same tonneau & Pop & lock, and would like to know for future reference just in case the same thing happens to me.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
  8. Jul 29, 2013 at 10:22 AM
    sfleischer82

Member:
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    so the 2013 doesn't have those pockets. maybe some models do but my doesn't. i called pop n' lock up and the guy was very understanding and helpful. he said the best solution at this point was to pry the lock to the unlock position.

so i put a flathead screwdriver in the key hole and tried turning. it didn't work so i hammered the flathead section to try and jam it to unlock...nothing except some metal stripping. i tried prying the mechanism inward and outward. nothing.

i called the guy back and he said it was worth a try and my next step was to just break it. the best thing to do is to cut the metal bar that holds both ends and the lock mechanism together. it's above the handle if you're reach under it. he said to cut both ends as close to the sides as possible since its holding the handle on there and you want to remove the handle to be able to get inside the opening and manually push the tailgate latch to the open position.

well i didn't have any diagonal wire cutters so i took needle nose pliers and ripped it out of one end easily. i couldn't rip the other end. i'm sure i could have but i got lucky since the right side of the entire handle ripped loose from the socket bracket. i was extremely lucky that it didn't ruin the tailgate but it broke off easily somehow. this gave me extra space to stick the screwdriver inside and push down on the latch enough to manually pop it open.

all of this would have been easier with some strong, but small cutters that can cut through a small metal bar. the handle would have come right off and i could have drilled a big enough holes hat would have allowed me to put the screwdriver in to push down on either the metal latch or the lock mechanism in whichever direction it had to go in order to pop the tailgate open.

i'm nervous about giving pop n' lock another chance but the guy was very helpful and said this issue is under warranty. they're shipping a brand new one out today and it should arrive within 3 business days.

i'll give it another shot because I know how to do it now. i just didn't have the time to get the cutters. or a power source nearby for my drill.

but i'm definitely going to study the inner workings of this one to see how everything interacts so i can fix it more efficiently next time. seems like a lot of work and trouble for a simple mechanism. it is.

Products Discussed in

To Top