Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Looking to buy 2006 Tacoma... Concerned about rust.

Old 07-28-2013, 10:54 PM   #1
Semp is on a distinguished road
Name: Matt
Semp's Tacoma Gallery
Looking to buy 2006 Tacoma... Concerned about rust.

Hi all,

Name's Matt, I live in Alberta Canada, have never owned a truck before, and am looking at buying my first as a winter vehicle. A used Tacoma seems like it would fit my needs and price range.

I stumbled upon a 2006 double cab V6 SR5 on a dealer lot a little over a week ago, purely by coincidence, it immediately caught my attention, as did the price on the window... I took it for a test drive and other than a wheel imbalance on the highway (Dealer agreed to fix if I purchased) it drove pretty much perfectly as far as I could tell.

Ive been reading and studying up on them as much as I have time for since I looked at it, and have gone back and checked it out two more times this weekend while the dealer was closed, and the one thing Iím struggling with is the rust all over the underbody. Iíve read that the 1st gen's were notoriously bad for frame rust, and it sure looks like the same could be said for the 2nd gen's. I'm no body or frame expert so I took a bunch of photos of the truck and was hoping that someone here could give me an idea as to if the rust on this thing is really something to worry about or not.

The truck has 180K on it (112k miles) and the body looks almost mint... The original owner had that DK (dimond kote) anti corrosion system installed on the truck, but it doesnít seem to have helped the underbody.

Thanks for any help advise.

Matt

Old 07-28-2013, 10:59 PM   #2
cheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cheeseit's Tacoma Gallery
Personally I would pass. That's starting to look pretty nasty, it would be better way to wait for the right truck than to rush into something and have major head aches down the line. If a car is super cheap at a dealer ship theres usually a reason.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:04 PM   #3
SUPER MOD
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
Agreed.. I would pass. Unless the price is incredibly cheap... Frame replacement is almost 15k.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:05 PM   #4
blake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Blake
blake5995's Tacoma Gallery
it wont be super cheap at the dealership unless something is wrong. dealership is looking to make a bunch of money. just like the others said i would pass on this in a heart beat it isnt worth the hassles
Old 07-29-2013, 02:53 AM   #5
car78412 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcar78412 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcar78412 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcar78412 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcar78412 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcar78412 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcar78412 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcar78412 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcar78412 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcar78412 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcar78412 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

car78412's Tacoma Gallery
Matt,
As a previous owner of a gen 1 Taco that had the frame replaced by Toyota because of rust, run from this one.
Old 07-29-2013, 03:28 AM   #6
Nip it in the bud!
12PM4X4OR is on a distinguished road

Name: Fife
12PM4X4OR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by car78412 View Post
Matt,
As a previous owner of a gen 1 Taco that had the frame replaced by Toyota because of rust, run from this one.
X2!
Old 07-29-2013, 03:50 AM   #7
ระดับอาวุโส สมาชิกอาวุโส
dYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dyl0n
dYL0n's Tacoma Gallery
4Fe + 2o2 = 2Fe2o3

In other words, DON'T DO IT
Old 07-29-2013, 06:14 AM   #8
Semp is on a distinguished road
Name: Matt
Semp's Tacoma Gallery
Well that makes my decision much easier. Thanks for all the reply's guys, much appreciated! It's too bad becuase other than the rust on the underbody the truck looks great, but I dont want to be dealing with headaches two or three years from now when the frame falls apart...

Thanks again,

Matt
Old 07-29-2013, 07:04 AM   #9
Marcitron88 is on a distinguished road
Marcitron88's Tacoma Gallery
Wow looks like that truck has spent its life in Ontario rather than Alberta. I would pass on by that thing...funny thing is a lot of used car dealers in the Edmonton area bring in their stock from Ontario because its cheaper to buy them there from the big auctions and just have them shipped across Canada. I never take the dealers word that what they have on the lot is "local", I know first hand as I grew up in the used car industry.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:19 AM   #10
ToyTacosRule has a spectacular aura aboutToyTacosRule has a spectacular aura aboutToyTacosRule has a spectacular aura about
Name: Dane
ToyTacosRule's Tacoma Gallery
Looks like either alot of salt from icy roads or alot of saltwater driving. Pass on that truck...
Old 07-29-2013, 09:40 AM   #11
BTR has much to be proud ofBTR has much to be proud ofBTR has much to be proud ofBTR has much to be proud ofBTR has much to be proud ofBTR has much to be proud ofBTR has much to be proud ofBTR has much to be proud ofBTR has much to be proud ofBTR has much to be proud of
BTR's Tacoma Gallery
damn, guess I'm the only one that thinks its not horrible. I would buy it for cheap, clean up the undercarriage and sell it in a couple years for the same price I paid for it.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:30 AM   #12
Plenty of slaves for my robot colony?
moondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
moondeath's Tacoma Gallery
It's not the worst, but not great. I would also pass. Don't let that discourage you from tacomas though. Any vehicle that is around salt is going to rust up if the undercarriage isn't washed. You can find plenty used tacomas with a much cleaner underside.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:35 AM   #13
2006TRDSPORT
2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of

Name: Jason
2006TRDSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2006 & it has minor surface rust but NOTHING like that, I would avoid that like the plague & do some more research to find something better. I know it all depends on what conditions you live in but I live in a humid environment & pretty close to the ocean as well but for the year of that truck it's got WAY to much rust! Just my opinion...
Old 07-29-2013, 10:46 AM   #14
Fabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Fabian
Fabulous's Tacoma Gallery
^^ This. I also have an 06 here in Calgary, and it has some light surface rust at some of the welded seams, but nothing like that. I would pass.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:25 PM   #15
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Doesn't look much worse than my '09
Old 07-29-2013, 12:34 PM   #16
Special Edition Member
Gincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gincoma's Tacoma Gallery
Def run from that, just think of it 5 more years down the road
Old 07-29-2013, 12:36 PM   #17
Mad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Marty
Mad Man Marty's Tacoma Gallery
Rust

Thats a pretty fair amount of rust if u live in the salt belt, & do not keep up on rinsing after each storm, & yearly paint touch up. Also, alot of your northern brothers live by fluid film 1x-2x a year. Find a truck that the underside has been taken care of, in addition to the paint. Good luck.