1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Honk on lock? Possible?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Trbo323, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Jul 31, 2013 at 3:12 PM
    Trbo323

Trbo323 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    So before anyone says it, yes, I have looked though the mods sticky and done plenty of searches, nothing helpful has come of it.

this is on a 05 TRD OR 4x4 AC 6 speed....in maroon

It seems like the beep/honk thing gets changed every year so I am not even sure if it is possible on my truck but if it is, I would like to have the truck honk or beep at me when I lock it. I have come across a few situations where the light outside does not allow me to see the hazards flash so I have no way of actually knowing if the truck is locked or not besides coming back to it and pulling on the handle.

on an unrelated note, I hate that it has the transponder key but, anyone know roughly how much it is to have toyota cut a duplicate or will anyone else out there do it for cheap?

2. Jul 31, 2013 at 3:21 PM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    If you do not have the factory option to do this (not sure if 2nd gen Tacoma trucks have this or not) you can easily install a relay. Connect terminal 85 of the relay to a ground. Terminal 30 to constant +12 volt source fused at 10 amps or more. Terminal 87 to the + terminal of the horn. The final connection of the relay (terminal 86) will get connected to the wire of the door lock actuator that is + when the doors are locked.

Once you have all of this connected your horn will sound when you lock the door, but not when you unlock it. If you want it to sound either way, then simply take the relay terminal 85 and switch it from the ground, to the other wire of the lock actuator. Then the horn will sound when you lock OR unlock the door.

3. Jul 31, 2013 at 3:30 PM
    TurboGT

TurboGT Stirring the pot since...

Member:
    First Name:
    Gabe
    Portland
    Vehicle:
    '16 Inferno DC LB 4x4
    None yet, starting over!! OME lift w/ Dakars & 885's Remote Start w/ window control
    I've bought key blanks from Ebay before... I believe I got 2 @ $25 each, local locksmith cut them for $6 each (no warranty, of course) and I have a toyota tech buddy that coded them for free. It took him less than 5 mins, I bought him lunch, plus hung out with a buddy an hour. Good all the way around.

If you don't have a buddy at toyota, get one ;) otherwise just ask the dealership how much to code the keys, assuming that you have the keys cut and ready.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  4. Aug 1, 2013 at 7:34 AM
    Trbo323

Member:
    sounds doable, is there a write up on this anywhere?

here is the problem with this plan though, not everyone has a friend who works for toyota

any idea how much it is to have toyota sell you one?

5. Aug 1, 2013 at 8:26 AM
    jethro

jethro Master Baiter

Member:
    First Name:
    Geoff
    Southern NH
    Vehicle:
    2020 Ford F-150 Lariat 5.0L V8
    A friend? I didn't see that in the TRD catalog...

6. Aug 1, 2013 at 5:11 PM
    Trbo323

Member:
    Ya I didnt either, thats why I was asking

7. Aug 2, 2013 at 7:51 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    I don't have a write up because I have never tried to do it. I know it will work though. If you need some help on the specifics then let me know. First things first, get yourself a good relay and some wire and wire terminals. Then we can go from there.

8. Sep 7, 2013 at 6:29 AM
    g8rzguy78

g8rzguy78 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J.C.
    WNC
    Follow the pictures and write up... Simple and easy, this is what I did... Most difficult part was getting the wire thru the fire wall. Do it exactly as it says, I switched the wires thinking positive/negative should be the opposite way, and they shouldnt be. Do the "switch" so you can turn the buzzer off if you ever need your hazards... Hope this helps
    http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/61-2nd-generation-2005/221968-so-you-say-you-want-beep-6.html

Last edited: Sep 7, 2013

Products Discussed in

To Top