Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Transmission Service

Old 03-02-2009, 11:10 PM   #1
rejTRD is on a distinguished road
rejTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Transmission Service

I have an 06 with 93k miles. I recently called the dealer to inquire about the treansmission service and the service advisor told me that the 06 tacomas have a sealed transmission and does not require any servicing not even a fluid change. Does this sound right I'm gonna call another dealer service dept. to confirm this. I just want to put it out there and see if anyone else has this many miles and had tanny service done.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:58 PM   #2
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
He's partially right.....
The transmission uses oil called "World Standard" (not exactly sure what that means) - but you don't need to service it until like 100k miles.

He's wrong in saying that you never need to service it.

Who did you talk to the first time? Was it the service writer? Or an actual tech? I'd call back an ask again - you'll probably get a different answer. If not - tell them they're full of shit and have them look it up.

If you still don't get anywhere - call another dealer.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:32 AM   #3
I am the Sofa King
harshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shed

harshest's Tacoma Gallery
I called my dealer to ask them the same thing. I have an 05 Prerunner. First off they quoted me (in MI) $130 to flush the system and $65 to drop the pan and replace the filter. The service guy told me (and I am sure others can confirm this) that when you drop the pan you don't get all the fluid out you just get what is in the pan. When you flush the system they get all the old fluid out and new fluid in.

If you look here it only mentions servicing the transmission first at 60,000 then again at 120,000 if towing a lot, otherwise there is no mention of automatic transmission service.