1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Thinking of putting truck up for sale (hear me out please)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 2006TRDSPORT, Aug 3, 2013.

1. Aug 3, 2013 at 9:40 AM
    2006TRDSPORT

2006TRDSPORT [OP] 2006TRDSPORT

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Felton, Delaware
    Vehicle:
    2004 4Runner SR5 4WD
    Hey TW,
    I'm thinking about putting my 2006 Tacoma Prerunner up for sale to help shrink my expenses for the time being. I have another vehicle to get around with (2007 Avalon) that has been super reliable since buying it back in March of this year. My plan is to pay that car off & get a NEW Tacoma in the future. I am curious what you think I should list it for. Here in Delaware it cost a pretty penny to transfer the registration (which mine has just come up due) & it's based on the value of the vehicle. Basically just to get it re-registered it's going to be $650-$700. My truck is a TRD SPORT, SR5, Tow Package, power everything & is in great condition with OME shocks in the back + adjustable bilsteins in the front set @ 2.5 with no problems as of yet with alignment etc. I have 265/70/17 Nittos that have at least 60% wear left on them. The truck has been well cared for & normal maintenance has been taken care of by me. It has 97,000 miles on it & retail value according to the popular websites (NADA, KBB) has it @ $17,000 approx.) I owe $12,800 approx. on it as of today. I would like to pay it off & have some left in my pocket. It has been a very reliable truck & never left me stranded once. There is a 2wd access cab listed at 17,995 in my area with 78,000 miles on it so I am pretty sure I could at least get 16+ out of it.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2013
  2. Aug 3, 2013 at 9:43 AM
    Swordknives

Swordknives mmm Tacos

Member:
    South OC CA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Dbl cab LB v6 SR5
    getting rid of debt is never a bad thing.

3. Aug 3, 2013 at 10:00 AM
    igomoto

igomoto Well-Known Member

Member:
    NV
    Vehicle:
    05 DoubleCab SR5/ 86 Toyota P/U 4x4
    Tow Package, AFE Cold Air And A Sticker On The Rear Window
    From my experiences with KBB and Toyotas is they always value them a bit less then they are really worth- If you do plan to sell it I would ask $19k OBO so you can at least upsell the mods you did do to it.. Another bonus is you havent turned 100k miles yet so its worth a bit more then it would in 3,001 miles :)

4. Aug 3, 2013 at 10:20 AM
    85GT 79FJ40

85GT 79FJ40 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    19 TRD Sport DCSB 6M - 2017 Honda Africa Twin
    Getting rid of debt is always a smart thing to do. If it wasn't for debt reduction I would still have my FJ40. However I think $19k is very optimistic. Especially private sale. I just bought my 05 double cab last month for 15 from a Toyota dealer. Granted it had 20k more miles but it was at a dealer, fully reconditioned, serviced, with records, and brand new tires. And it's a 4x4. I would probably start at 16 or 17 and see what happens. Also keep in mind to most people modifications actually detract from the value not add to it. I've bought and sold 15 Toyota trucks over the years. Every lifted one I either put back to stock or took an enormous loss selling as-is. You might get lucky and find someone looking for a truck modded just like yours. But the chances are slim compared to someone just looking for a used Tacoma. You might actually be better off selling the Avalon. Or better yet sell them both and pay cash for something until you're in a better place financially. I did that last fall. Sold my last 05 double cab (for $12k with 135k on it and it was hard to sell) payed off a bunch of bills (owned the truck outright) and bought a 96 Tacoma. I just sold my FJ40 that I owned for 12 years to pay off another chunk of debt. Don't ever build your own house. You think trucks are expensive????

5. Aug 3, 2013 at 10:30 AM
    igomoto

igomoto Well-Known Member

Member:
    NV
    Vehicle:
    05 DoubleCab SR5/ 86 Toyota P/U 4x4
    Tow Package, AFE Cold Air And A Sticker On The Rear Window
    Good advice! And if you dont like what they offer you- walk away! :thumbsup:

6. Aug 3, 2013 at 12:38 PM
    Tacos sudados

Tacos sudados Memory Maker

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 DC TRD SPORT 4X4
    Not sure what things are like in Delaware, but over here on the west coast, the Tacomas have taken a little bit of a hit lately on their value. I'm the Sales Manager at our Toyota dealership and the market over here just isn't as strong the last few months as it has been in the past. I think $16+ is going to be tough unless you find someone super stoked about your add-ons. With all that being said, you definitely want to do something before it rolls over 100k. That's a big mental block for a lot of people. I hear "has to have under 100k miles" all day, everyday.

7. Aug 3, 2013 at 1:17 PM
    2006TRDSPORT

2006TRDSPORT [OP] 2006TRDSPORT

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Felton, Delaware
    Vehicle:
    2004 4Runner SR5 4WD
    Thanks for all the info, I really HATE to sell her because she's been so good to me since I bought her. I think the market in this area is pretty good for Tacoma's, being that it's a Prerunner might have a slight impact but it does not snow THAT MUCH around here & the snow we did get recently I had no problems getting around in. It's also very flat around here so that helps as well. I will most likely throw a for sale sign on her & see how it goes, I'm not desperate to sell but it would help me out for monthly expenses so I can hold out to get the best deal if need be, not going to settle for less than she's worth. I will put 18G's & that way there will be some wiggle room to go downward & still make a decent profit. If I could pay it off & walk away with at least $2500+ I'll be happy. I will get me another one in the future, I love this truck & the fact it holds it's value SO well!

Last edited: Aug 3, 2013
  8. Aug 3, 2013 at 6:08 PM
    jw1983

jw1983 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    13' Tacoma Access 4x4 OR
    We're okay with it as long that you don't make a "I sold my Tacoma and bought a Dodge truck" thread. Getting rid of debt is always good.

9. Aug 3, 2013 at 6:09 PM
    hualampeter

hualampeter Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Chester, MD
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    Fox 3" Lift, Total Chaos UCA, and Wheelers Bumps.
    I'm at 202K I wonder what my truck is worth now >:) Good luck on the sale!

Products Discussed in

To Top