1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

LSD for 2010 2wd

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by tcritser, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Aug 4, 2013 at 7:58 PM
    tcritser

tcritser [OP] Member

Member:
    Gahanna, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2017 4x4 sr
    Well I'm new to the forum so I might be asking a question that was already answered; I just bought a 2010 2wd automatic, this is just a base model, no pre-runner etc. I'm looking to put in a LSD. Any ideas what will work?

Thanks!:confused:

2. Aug 4, 2013 at 11:27 PM
    WHPLSH3

WHPLSH3 Fortified with horsepower-adding goodness...

Member:
    First Name:
    Vance
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged Spruce Mica 6spd 4x4
    Build thread coming soon!
    Welcome aboard!
    Your truck already has " AUTO LSD" designed in. It uses the rear brakes to make the wheels spin at the same speed.
    Toyota stopped installing actual clutch style limited slips a few years back... but I think one of them would still fit a later diff if you want to do it that way

3. Aug 5, 2013 at 12:10 PM
    tcritser

tcritser [OP] Member

Member:
    Gahanna, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2017 4x4 sr
    OK excuss my ignorance, doesn't the "auto lsd" on my truck just brakes the slipping wheel, but doesn't transfer power to the non-slipping wheel?

4. Aug 5, 2013 at 12:48 PM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    Yes

5. Aug 5, 2013 at 3:27 PM
    PMK

PMK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB TRD Sport
    White, debadged, Mudflaps removed, ICON 2.5 in front, 2.0 in rear, all 4 corners have reservoirs, Spidertrax wheel spacers all around, BAMF bolt on sliders, Avid lightbar, oem transmission cooler converted to power steering cooler, aftermarket transmission cooler eliminating all oem transmission cooler stuff, remote mounted spin on transmission fluid filter TrueTrac rear differential, rear diff housing vented and filtered into left side bed box, URD MAF calibrator, Volant intake scoop into oem airbox, second filter removed, airbox internals smoothed, blended and polished throttle body, NST intake manifold spacer, Wet Okolee set covers, WeatherTech Digital Fit mats, inexpensive JVC single DIN, Scangage, AVS Stepshield door sill protectors, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, URD Y pipe with O2 sims.
    Similar to you OP, I have a 2010 prerunner, and picked up a Truetac diff and a low mileage complete third with same gearing. Can't comment on performance since I have not installed it yet, but plan to soon.

I am expecting to have the oem setup apply a slight brake to the slipping tire, which will fully engage the Truetrac, providing drive to both tires.

With the Truetrac being all gears and no clutch packs, no special fluid or friction additives are needed.

Not saying this is best, but seems worthwhile for moderate off-road use.

PK

6. Aug 5, 2013 at 5:51 PM
    jvswaim

jvswaim Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    96 LX 2WD
    225/70 x 14 tires
    Wouldn't braking the slipping wheel prevent TrueTrac from working, since it's the slipping which actuates it? I was thinking I'd need to disable abs/auto LSD before installing a TrueTrac.

7. Aug 5, 2013 at 7:19 PM
    WHPLSH3

WHPLSH3 Fortified with horsepower-adding goodness...

Member:
    First Name:
    Vance
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged Spruce Mica 6spd 4x4
    Build thread coming soon!
    The auto lsd only engages when it senses a difference in speed between the wheels. If they are both turning the same speed, as they would with a TrueTrac, the computer doesn't realize anything and won't engage it

8. Aug 5, 2013 at 7:32 PM
    jvswaim

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    96 LX 2WD
    225/70 x 14 tires
    So I had it backwards - TrueTrac overrides auto LSD. I'm still gonna use an abs kill switch anyway.

9. Aug 6, 2013 at 8:55 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    Actually probably better term would be "Truetrac enhances auto LSD/ TRAC and auto LSD enhances Truetrac"
    Auto LSD applies brake on spinning wheel to shift power, but it can only do this momentarily and by small margin. This is where Trutrac comes in play. When ALSD activates Trutrac shoul have power shifted to slower wheel, so no gear jerk, and no jump. When autolsd releases brake Trutrac will be still balancing power to wheels. So instead of simple on/off you will be getting smooth more/ less power.
    Problem with Trutrac is that if one wheel, has no traction than no power gets deliver to other. 0x any number = 0
    So people used to apply brakes to make Trutrac shift to non spinning side. ALSD will do the same but automatically.

10. Aug 6, 2013 at 10:55 AM
    jvswaim

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    96 LX 2WD
    225/70 x 14 tires
    Outstandingly good news! :)

11. Aug 8, 2013 at 8:15 PM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Auto-lsd does in fact "transfer power" to the wheel with grip.

12. Aug 10, 2013 at 2:20 PM
    Hugh Morron

Hugh Morron Manic Mechanic

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Schuylkill County, PA
    Vehicle:
    12 DCLB SR5 4X4 Barcelona Red Metallic
    ARE Cap, AVS Bugdeflector II, AVS Ventshades, DTRL delete, ABS/VSC/TRAC disable, Toyota LSD with clutchpacks, N-Fab Lightbar, Hella 700ff lights
    I would disable your traction control with a tru-trac differential. If your rear slides out slightly your vsc would try to lock a rear wheel to straighten the vehicle out which might damage the brakes or the differential.

13. Aug 10, 2013 at 2:26 PM
    Hugh Morron

Hugh Morron Manic Mechanic

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Schuylkill County, PA
    Vehicle:
    12 DCLB SR5 4X4 Barcelona Red Metallic
    ARE Cap, AVS Bugdeflector II, AVS Ventshades, DTRL delete, ABS/VSC/TRAC disable, Toyota LSD with clutchpacks, N-Fab Lightbar, Hella 700ff lights
    This is why they don't put a mechanical LSD with traction control.

14. Aug 10, 2013 at 7:59 PM
    PMK

PMK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB TRD Sport
    White, debadged, Mudflaps removed, ICON 2.5 in front, 2.0 in rear, all 4 corners have reservoirs, Spidertrax wheel spacers all around, BAMF bolt on sliders, Avid lightbar, oem transmission cooler converted to power steering cooler, aftermarket transmission cooler eliminating all oem transmission cooler stuff, remote mounted spin on transmission fluid filter TrueTrac rear differential, rear diff housing vented and filtered into left side bed box, URD MAF calibrator, Volant intake scoop into oem airbox, second filter removed, airbox internals smoothed, blended and polished throttle body, NST intake manifold spacer, Wet Okolee set covers, WeatherTech Digital Fit mats, inexpensive JVC single DIN, Scangage, AVS Stepshield door sill protectors, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, URD Y pipe with O2 sims.
    The Truetrac is not a clutch type LSD. It uses helical gears to apply locking force. It is a known fact that with a Truetrac needs grip at both tires to work effectively. When a tire slips, the diff clamps tighter. However, when a tire becomes unloaded or not in contact with the ground, the diff becomes confused and has a difficult time clamping and driving both tires. The way to trick the Truetrac is to apply the brakes, which will clamp the diff. Unfortunately, applying the brakes via the pedal will also impede forward movement. By not using the brake pedal, but rather working the parking brake, the Truetrac will clamp and drive out.

The computer controlled Auto LSD will control the Truetrac automatically, not requiring any parking brake application.

As for the truck sliding and VSC working to straighten it out, is not going to lock up a wheel but rather control things. If the slide is on snow, ice or other slippery surface it has been reported that VSC struggles with an open diff. A Truetrac will be similar.

If the slide is induced with wheelspin of both tires, the computer will not sense any difference between wheelspeed. So no computer controlled braking will occur unless to both rear wheels to straighten it out. Any application of brakes will not damage the brakes or diff, especially if VSC electronically takes out throttle.

PK

15. Aug 11, 2013 at 5:06 AM
    PMK

PMK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB TRD Sport

I have not yet installed my Truetrac. It is sitting there along with a low mileage third waiting for me to find time to build it.

I have been trying to sort out this VSC Auto LSD and even with what is posted here and published in the manual it is confusing when compared to what actually happens.

It doesn't snow here, but it is easy to find a dirt or sandy road. I have forced the truck to slide, or even got it sideways from a dead stop when accelerating away. Every time, the light starts flashing and warning horns are making noise, but you can still see two tire marks have churned the dirt.

Time will tell how the Truetrac and stock will differ in real applications. For slower trail use it should be a huge improvement to get power to both wheels instead of taking power away by braking a wheel. In slides or higher speed stuff, it will likely be the yaw sensor that overrides everything.

Wondering again, like I did months ago if it is even worth keeping this 2010 Tacoma. A Ford Raptor would be so much easier and just plug and play.

Thinking I should pull the suspension and all mods, put it stock and get a Prius to DD and a Raptor to play. Fuel mileage wise I would come out ahead. Fun times would likely improve also.

PK

Products Discussed in

To Top