1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rain Proof & Bike Friendly Bed Option

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jackrules, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Aug 5, 2013 at 2:42 AM
    jackrules

jackrules [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    10 PreRunner Double Cab SR5 TRD Sport LB
    Hey Guys,

I'm going to college in Oregon and need something to cover my bed from the elements, but I would also like to hold a bike in it –*Need some suggestions!

I will need to transport my mountain bike along with a lot of other stuff in my truck when I drive from San Diego to Eugene, Oregon this september – The bike doesn't need to be protected from the elements, but the other stuff will need to.

I really don't want a trail hitch bike mount, but that may be necessary.

Heres the options –

Canvas Shell

Pro's – I think they look good, easily removable, can camp under

Con's – Lowers gas milage, no ability to have roof rack on it, not secure, not COMPLETELY rain proof, probably lose use of track system.

Questions – Do you think that if I took the front wheel off of the bike and lowered the seats, that I could mount a "fork mount" on the bottom of the bed that would hold the bike in a vertical position under the canvas cover?

BackFlip Tonneau Cover

Pro's – Secure, Doesn't alter looks of truck, Mostly Rain Proof, Removable

Con's – Probably couldn't transport bike under it, not completely water proof, lose use of rail system, lose vertical height, can't camp under, theres something that I just don't like about tonneau covers for some reason...

Question's – Is there any way to have a rack system over the tonneau cover that I could mount the bike on? Again, I really just don't want a trailer hitch mount for some reason...

Camper Shell

Pro's – Secure, Keep vertical height, roof racks, Can camp under, better gas milage(?), keep use a track system

Con's –*Don't love the look necessarily (I'm studying design so this is more important that it should be), hard to store in summer, etc

Question's – Do you think that if I took the front wheel off of the bike and lowered the seat, that I could mount a "fork mount" on the bottom of the bed that would hold the bike in a vertical position under the camper shell?

4th Option – Use Plastic Bin's to Keep Stuff Dry

Pro's – CHEAP, bike could be in bed, retain's "pick up truck" looks, easy to store, etc

Con's – Look's Cheap, not secure, can't camp under, can't use to keep large objects dry (not sure if I'd need to do that), etc

I'm looking for opinions! Tell me what you guys would choose and why!

Also, please someone tell me if I can mount a mountian bike vertically in the bed any way if I have a camper shell or canvas cover?

I feel like there are so many options that I don't know where to start, nor do I love any of them. I love some benefits and hate some of the cons..

Thing's that are important to me

- track system
    - transporting bikes & lots of stuff
    - rain proof
    - looks
    - camping (I'd like to camp more!)
    - security (not necessary, but would be nice!)
    - VISIBILITY! – this isn't mentioned above, but I love the rear visibility on the truck, how will some of these things affect me?

2. Aug 5, 2013 at 2:58 AM
    slowmachine

slowmachine Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Alton, NH
    Outfit your truck for the way you want to use it all of the time. For exceptional events, like moving, rent a trailer.

Mike

3. Aug 5, 2013 at 3:57 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    IMO, a hard shell will be the most rainproof, versatile & secure. Yes, fork mount with seat post out will allow vertical bike hauling with cab high shell.

4. Aug 5, 2013 at 9:10 AM
    Westside

Westside Southbound

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    Nor Cal, East Bay
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4X4
    +1 for a hard shell. I can put bikes in back without the front wheel and I'm a tall rider with big bikes. Bonus though if you run a dropper seatpost on your MTB. Also 100% tint, interior cable locking zero decals for additional security. Ive been known to leave bikes in the back for days or when traveling without problems. I also use roof rack or trailer hitch rack when I'm hauling bikes but need extra room for gear.

[​IMG]

5. Aug 5, 2013 at 11:56 PM
    jackrules

jackrules [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    10 PreRunner Double Cab SR5 TRD Sport LB
    Mike, I think you may have miss understood my point. I am looking for the best option to outfit my truck for daily use, not just for moving. I may have not made that clear.. I will commonly need to transport a fair amount of gear as well as carry a couple mountain bikes.

Thanks guys for letting me know that it'll fit vertically with the front wheel off!

For reference, could you please tell me how much vertical height you have in your cab high shells as well as tell me what model shell you have? And if you could please estimate how much clearance your bikes have from their highest part (handlebars?) to the ceiling of the shell?

Thanks!

More questions -

Does anyone know if canvas shells are water proof or how water resistant they are!

Also, will a canvas she'll decrease milage significantly and will a hard shell increase MPG significantly ( more than 1 mpg ) - is it worth taking this into account?

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  6. Aug 6, 2013 at 7:29 AM
    Westside

Westside Southbound

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    Nor Cal, East Bay
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4X4
    For reference: Leer XQ, Opening height 31.5" Inside height 33" My MTB height 31" axle to top of handlebar. This is a XL frame with a Fox Talas 29/120mm travel and a dropper seatpost. I can also fit my 62cm road bike and another pleasant surprise,, Our road tandem fits diagonally with the front wheel off. I never pre measured before buying but this is my second Tacoma. My 1st gen was a shortbed.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  7. Aug 6, 2013 at 7:38 AM
    majorhavok

majorhavok Rabid Conservative

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike in Cali..
    Peoples Republic of Caulifournia
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD Sport DoubleCab 4x4
    Ultragauge, ImMrYo mirror, Tailgate lock, Snugtop Rebel Shell.
    +1 on the hard shell. It cuts down on the sporty openness of the truck but it grows on you. Some look better than others, there is a whole thread of those pics on here. Hard camper shell makes all the difference in the world for usability, I can haul whatever I need to in there and feel pretty secure locking it up. It also fixes the lack of a tailgate lock.

I was worried about needing to take off the shell when moving something really big, but it hasn't happened yet. If it does it's six bolts and an electric plug disconnect and I'm done in a couple minutes.

8. Aug 6, 2013 at 7:38 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Softtopper with bike rack:
    [​IMG]
    Honestly, my tonneau cover wasn't overly waterproof either and even my hard shell lets some water leakage in around the corners. You can put a roof rack over a soft topper and there are also some tonneaus that you can mount a bike rack to. Not all tonneaus make you lose the rail system, my roll up tonneau allowed full use of the rail system. I now have a mid-rise shell and love it. Lots of storage room and head height but I have also not removed it since install because it is a PITA to store. You can fit a mountain bike under a tonneau cover with the front tire removed. I used to tuck 2 under mine when. The tonneau I had sat on top of the rail so there was some extra room, one that's level with the rails will likely be an issue. Lastly, my MPG's are better with the hard shell, even being a mid-rise.

9. Aug 6, 2013 at 8:34 AM
    MountainDog

MountainDog Well-Known Member

Member:
    Aurora, CO
    Vehicle:
    2012 4x4 Double Cab Off Road
    Vinyl floor; 265/75/16 Duratracs; SnugTop Rebel
    This option carries a lot of gear!

[​IMG]

10. Aug 9, 2013 at 8:46 PM
    osubeav818

osubeav818 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    13 Regular Cab, SuperWhite, Debadged
    Viper 350hv, Bakflip Fibermax, Pop n lock
    Hey man, I just moved back to LA from Corvallis, so I totally get your predicament. I moved up w/o a cover and just tied things down with bungies and used a tarp. A non covered bed would be good for moving your bikes around a lot, but maybe put a towel or something over it, cause I'm sure you're well aware that Eugene rains a shit load.

11. Aug 10, 2013 at 6:17 AM
    reastiebeagle

reastiebeagle Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Seattle, WA
    http://www.summitracks.com/brackets.html

Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
    Junebug1998 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top