1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Do a visual inspection after dealership oil change

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by PBR Streetgang, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Aug 5, 2013 at 5:44 PM
    PBR Streetgang

PBR Streetgang [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Medford, OR
    Vehicle:
    2013 AC 4x4 TRD
    Icon stage 4 kit, Deaver J66 leaf springs, Firestone ride-rite airbags, Warn 9.5 XPS winch
    I had the oil changed on my '13 Tacoma at the dealership where I bought it. I should have done a visual inspection before I left, because this is what I found a day later:
    [​IMG]

I generally trust the mechanics at dealerships because I know they go through a lot of training, but this was a surprise. I drove around for about a day an a half and noticed a weird noise that sort of matched the engine RPM but not always. The bottle was wedged against a belt pulley and nearly melted through and dumped about 6 oz. of oil on the belt.

2. Aug 5, 2013 at 5:48 PM
    rickmeseke

rickmeseke subaru of america

Member:
    First Name:
    Ricky
    Brunswick, GA
    Vehicle:
    a white truck
    i wouldnt call someone who can change oil a mechanic, by any means. at my dealer, they ask you if you can change oil, and if you say yes, they hire you to change oil. for 7.50 an hr. they dont even make you show them you know how.

ask me how i know

3. Aug 5, 2013 at 5:49 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I generally don't trust mechanics because, when it's not their vehicle, I've found that many of them don't give a shit. They're also trying to be productive so things get rushed and overlooked.

I had the dealership do my oil changes until I was out of my 3 yr 36k mile warranty and I used to mark my oil filters to make sure those guys actually changed it out.

4. Aug 5, 2013 at 5:53 PM
    Tao Zero

Tao Zero Well-Known Member

Member:
    I did the same thing for my first oil change, still don't trust anyone. I made a little sign also that says "please do not wash truck". They will run it thru their car wash after it's done. They ran my wife's T4R thru even though she asked them twice not to. Now it has some nice perfectly vertical scratches on the thin paint on the bumper.

The oil changes are free, but still debating whether or not to do it myself next time.

5. Aug 5, 2013 at 5:54 PM
    PBR Streetgang

PBR Streetgang [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Medford, OR
    Vehicle:
    2013 AC 4x4 TRD
    Icon stage 4 kit, Deaver J66 leaf springs, Firestone ride-rite airbags, Warn 9.5 XPS winch
    I marked the filter too for the same reason. They did change the filter. This was just a dumb mistake but I'm going to change the oil myself from now on, even if I give up a few remaining free oil changes from the dealer.

6. Aug 5, 2013 at 5:56 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I'd make them give you a new belt if it were me. I'd also clean up the pulleys really well before putting it on.

7. Aug 5, 2013 at 6:12 PM
    stump jumper

stump jumper Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra 4x4 CM TSS
    +1, took mine in for first change last week. Next day I went to put hitch on and no hitch cover. I guess it came off in wash. Went back and had to put up with some idiot running around that did not even know what he was looking for.

8. Aug 5, 2013 at 6:37 PM
    Bsheriff11

Bsheriff11 Remember Your ABC's. Always. Be. Casual.

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Virginia livin', South Carolina raised
    Vehicle:
    2000 Limited T4R
    Click My Sig Homie
    My first free oil change was ridiculous, I pulled out the dealer and pulled into a gas station across the street and decided to check the oil, to my surprise, the dick heads didn't put any oil back in it! I called them and had it towed right back across the street. Been doing all my maintenance myself since. Always check over others work when it comes to your vehicle my friends!

9. Aug 5, 2013 at 6:47 PM
    Sledhauler

Sledhauler Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    MD
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD Sport 4X4
    that was most likely put there as a catch for the oil that spills when putting the filter on, bright side is they didn't put a dry filter on, too bad they forgot to take the catch bottle out. doh!

10. Aug 5, 2013 at 6:50 PM
    mynewtoy

mynewtoy I like men

Member:
    First Name:
    greg
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    09 double cab 4x4
    Detriot locker rear ARB air locker front 4.56 gears OME 3" lift, SPC uca's , moto metal 951 wheels 315/75/r16 Treadwright guard dogs, homemade front plate bumper with smittybilt 9.5k winch, homemade skids, homemade Bed bars, Mobtown offroad high clearance rear bumper with tire carrier, Homemade rock sliders , U-bolt flip, Wheeler's super bumps, BORA 1" wheel spacers , Black headlight mod , black tail lights, Satoshi Grill , autoPage C3 RS-665 alarm with remote start, flowmaster 40 series exhaust, cruise control,bed/ground effect lights, wet okole seat covers, tinted,windows, weather tech floor mats, AVS vent shades, debadged, hidden cobra 19 cb, 7" offroad lights behind grill, rear diff breather relocate, abs kill switch
    I took my wife's rav4 for it's first oil change last week. I marked the filter and checked the oil after I left the dealership then drove it home. my wife got in it the next morning to go to work and there was oil all over our garage. she sent me a pic of the oil on the dipstick and it was barely touching so I called the dealership and they sent a real mechanic out and the gasket was split on the filter.
    he did it right and she took it back up to the dealership so they could clean the undercharriage.

oh and we the mechanic came out he said it was the fifth time that week he had to do that

I don't like other people working on my vehicles. that will be the first and last time I take one anywhere

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  11. Aug 5, 2013 at 7:01 PM
    bjboucher

bjboucher Mama says Tacoma World is da devil!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Former 2012 DCLB 4x4 SR5 Texas Edition
    OME complete kit w/ 885s on Nitrocharger Sports, 1/4" spacers, Dakars w/ Nitrocharger Sports, LR UCAs, 265/70-17, Duratracs, G4 Elite tonneau, Weathertech Window Deflectors, Weathertech digital floor liners, factory JBL/Entune, rear differential breather relocate.
    Wut? It's for catching the oil that spills out of the old filter, not the new filter.

12. Aug 5, 2013 at 7:40 PM
    Bsheriff11

Bsheriff11 Remember Your ABC's. Always. Be. Casual.

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Virginia livin', South Carolina raised
    Vehicle:
    2000 Limited T4R
    Click My Sig Homie
    I put dry filters on every time I change my oil.

13. Aug 5, 2013 at 7:43 PM
    jw1983

jw1983 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    13' Tacoma Access 4x4 OR
    I have been on this site for almost 2 years now. From all the stories of oil changes from the dealership. I check my oil and mark the filter after it's done. Never had any issues, knock on wood.

14. Aug 5, 2013 at 7:46 PM
    majorhavok

majorhavok Rabid Conservative

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike in Cali..
    Peoples Republic of Caulifournia
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD Sport DoubleCab 4x4
    Ultragauge, ImMrYo mirror, Tailgate lock, Snugtop Rebel Shell.
    :anonymous: Wait what's this wet new filter stuff?

15. Aug 5, 2013 at 7:57 PM
    Tomoab2mtb

Tomoab2mtb Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luis
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    1996 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab 4 x 4
    I have changed my own oil and filter religiously after taken it to dealer and noticed my truck leaking oil. I thought it odd, since it never leaked before. Upon crawling down and looking, found the oil filter gasket from old filter was still on with new gasket. I prefer to change my own oil, that way I know what type of oil is in ( Valvoline ) engine and the filter I choose.

16. Aug 5, 2013 at 8:10 PM
    Warputer

Warputer Dirt Road Inspector

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Lake Murray, South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off Road
    9" of Super Bro lift
    :cool:....I did the same thing.

17. Aug 5, 2013 at 8:37 PM
    GTOJim

GTOJim Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2013 PreRunner TRD OffRoad V6
    Sometimes the gasket from the old filter sticks to the engine when removing the old filter. When the new filter is installed it's not unusual for one of the gaskets to split. 40+ years ago I worked in a gas station for awhile as a mechanic. Standard procedure was to take a clean rag and wipe off the area where the filter makes, this practice insures that a gasket which happens to come off the old oil filter isn't left on the engine.

Reading so many who have problems with a dealership doing an oil change really makes me lose faith in the work being done.

Not long ago I took a Subaru in for a free oil change, dealer gave me a few coupons when we purchased the vehicle for free oil and filter changes.
    Turns out the drain plug wasn't even finger tight, the next morning there was a puddle of oil under it. The service writer tried to cover up the mistake so I introduced myself to the Service manager who just shrugged it off, he obviously didn't give a shit. It was upsetting as I had another Subaru in the day before and the mechanic got grease on the cloth part of a door panel, second time a mechanic left grease on the upholstery of that vehicle.

I've found another dealership but it's far away so I have to wait while the work is being done, not convenient.

I just don't understand dealerships lack of professionalism in how the treat customers vehicles these days. I always treated a customers vehicle like it was my own, sometimes better, and I was very picky about my vehicles .

18. Aug 6, 2013 at 3:40 AM
    Coast2Coast

Coast2Coast Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRDOR
    Black Sand Pearl factory paint - flattened "au natural" by tree branches.
    What free oil changes? I took my Tacoma to the dealership for it's first oil change after I bought it brand new in 09 and they said that I didn't qualify for the free oil changes because I had put a lift kit on the truck. I didn't even argue with them because I wanted to do it myself anyway lol.

A few months later I took the truck in for them to check out why my backup camera was coming on while I was driving on the freeway. After I sat and waited in the waiting room for 6 hours they came out and told me it was because of the lift kit and there was nothing they could do about it.

They also installed the complimentary paint scratches all over every panel from using a rusty SOS pad to wash the truck, or whatever it is they do back there.

I HATE DEALERSHIPS, ALL OF THEM.

19. Aug 6, 2013 at 3:47 AM
    ndsgr

ndsgr Well-Known Member

Member:
    In Japan, there is no such thing as gravity. They can fill new filters with oil and install them upside down on top of the engine and the oil stays in them. The catch and drain is only available on US models.

20. Aug 6, 2013 at 3:55 AM
    stump jumper

stump jumper Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra 4x4 CM TSS
    2009s did come with free service for 25k

Products Discussed in

To Top