1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Camper Shell Vented Windoors Shortbed

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by TacoJoe2, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Aug 6, 2013 at 5:31 PM
    TacoJoe2

TacoJoe2 [OP] Member

Member:
    I'm wanting to buy a shell / cap but the only vented windoor I found is the ARE V, not available in the CX. The V fails to cover the black liner. Is there anyone else that makes vented windows (leer, snug) for a short bed Taco?

Also , the CX from ARE does not have vented WD available for the short bed.

2. Aug 21, 2013 at 6:02 PM
    JoeyBones

JoeyBones Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Tampa/Sarasota, FL
    Vehicle:
    '19 Access Cab 4X2 SR
    Side Windoors are optional on the Leer 100R and 180. I'm placing my order tomorrow!

(2012 DCSB MGM)

3. Aug 21, 2013 at 9:35 PM
    Utard

Utard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Nyssa, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC LB 4WD TRD SPORT NAVI
    ------------------------------------------------------------ Stabilus.EZDown.Tailgate http://www.ezdown.com/home.php ----------------------------------------------- Tekonsha.Primus.IQ.Trailer.brake http://www.tekonsha.com/content/default.aspx---------------------------------------------------------------- Leer 180 CC http://www.leer.com/Truck-Caps#------------------------------------------------ Firestone Air Rite Air Bags--------------------------------------Kargomaster Rack
    Do you mean this?

Leer 180cc

top.jpg

4. Aug 22, 2013 at 11:20 AM
    Rocketball

Rocketball If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue DC Sport 4x4
    Pioneer head unit, PAC steering wheel control modual, Hard wired Sirius radio, Hard wired radar detector, Hella Supertone horns, Blacked out badges, Smoked Tails, BHLM (color matched Speedway Blue), T-Rex Eyelids, Black Powder Coated Billet Grill, Color Matched Engine Cover, Lund in channel vent visors, FJ Cruiser wheels, Leer 100XQ shell, OEM bed mat, Piezo beeper for locking doors, Tinted front side windows, Black Westin bull bar, Aires tube steps, Mini Maglite Mod, D-Cell Maglite Mod, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats
    I have a Leer 100 XQ. The side windows are 1 piece, but they do open toward the back for ventilation. The opener actually warps the glass, so the front and top of the glass are always sealed, but the back and bottom are open to allow air flow. It's a pretty coll design, but hard to explain and visualize.

In this pic you can see 2 black buttons on the glass, those are the anchor point that keep the glass sealed when it's in the open position.

IMG_0158_a27cc8448bc3016be78122cabaa58a721a2d1f78.jpg

5. Aug 22, 2013 at 11:54 AM
    skidooman

skidooman I'm your huckleberry

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Northern Nevada
    Vehicle:
    19 Taco
    Kings, JBA, BAMF, C4, Deaver, Prinsu, TJM, SnugTop, 5.29s
    SnugTop Rebel vented windoors shortbed FTMFW!! I have more pics in my build.

DSCN3521_dc12480a0c06662f41774e7b1900c438690335cf.jpg

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  6. Aug 22, 2013 at 1:30 PM
    mikeWA

mikeWA Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Snohomish, WA
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB
    FWIW my local Leer dealer talked me out of vented windoors (on a LB). He said that they're prone to leaking, and at the very least you'll get a nice dump of water down your neck when you open the windoor after rain or wash... because of the slider there's a track at the bottom where water collects, and it empties when you tilt it up.

I ended up with a vented window on one side, and a non-vented windoor on the other.

First post! So possibly worth 3 cents instead of 2 :)

Mike in WA.

7. Aug 22, 2013 at 3:01 PM
    skidooman

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Northern Nevada
    Vehicle:
    19 Taco
    Mine have only ever leaked when I pressure wash it. I have never had any water inside from the rain or snow. The sliding window on mine sits up against a rubber piece when it's closed, so as long as its closed no water can get in there.

8. Aug 22, 2013 at 3:58 PM
    mikeWA

mikeWA Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Snohomish, WA
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB
    Thanks! I stopped at Truck Builders to look at SnugTop and ended up buying a Leer from Canopy World, a bit farther south on 99. Both places were nice, and both admitted that the other company's canopies were equally good :) The Leer I liked was able to tie in the factory auto-locking with the handle, while the SnugTop I liked wasn't able to (though some models definitely can), so I went with Leer. Apparently you can't go wrong with either!

9. Aug 22, 2013 at 4:27 PM
    skidooman

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Northern Nevada
    Vehicle:
    19 Taco
    Both are great shells. My dad has a Leer on his truck and its great. Had Leer made the vented windoors for the short bed I would have probably went with one of those. At the time they had a dealer in my town. The closest snugtop dealer was 300 miles away, but they could get what I wanted to I went with them.

10. Aug 23, 2013 at 10:56 AM
    JoeyBones

JoeyBones Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Tampa/Sarasota, FL
    Vehicle:
    '19 Access Cab 4X2 SR
    Well. Placed the order yesterday, paying for the cap in full. Today I get a call that the "Windoors" on the SHORT bed do NOT come in a vented (screened sliders) option. They do on the LONG bed.

I am buying the cap mostly to haul the dog around when it's not too hot and need the screens open on both sides, so I'm going with the 180 and standard side sliders. I figure that without Windoors I'll be crawling up in there more often so the extra 3" or so in height that the 180 offers will come in handy.

I thought about looking at other brands but my last cap was a Leer and I liked it, so I figure I'll stick with what I know.

Products Discussed in

To Top