Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Hauling Aluminum Boat Truck top?

Old 08-07-2013, 07:37 AM   #1
08TRDOFFROAD has a brilliant future08TRDOFFROAD has a brilliant future08TRDOFFROAD has a brilliant future08TRDOFFROAD has a brilliant future08TRDOFFROAD has a brilliant future08TRDOFFROAD has a brilliant future08TRDOFFROAD has a brilliant future08TRDOFFROAD has a brilliant future08TRDOFFROAD has a brilliant future08TRDOFFROAD has a brilliant future08TRDOFFROAD has a brilliant future

Law Enforcement: Police
Name: Daniel
08TRDOFFROAD's Tacoma Gallery
Hauling Aluminum Boat Truck top?

I just purchased a 13' Gregor aluminum boat I had planned on towing double behind my travel trailer. Turns out that isn't going to work, so I am trying to figure out a way to haul it on top of the truck.

So...Is anyone out there hauling an aluminum boat on top of their truck? If so, what are you using to do so? Pics would be appreciated!
Old 08-07-2013, 11:01 PM   #2
Wishin' I was Fishin'
landphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shed

landphil's Tacoma Gallery
I haul my 12' aluminum boat on a rack I built myself, its now 3" shorter than shown in these pics, as I originaly built it higher than needed. If you want any details on how I attached it to the rails, let me know.

Old 08-08-2013, 12:52 PM   #3
08TRDOFFROAD has a brilliant future08TRDOFFROAD has a brilliant future08TRDOFFROAD has a brilliant future08TRDOFFROAD has a brilliant future08TRDOFFROAD has a brilliant future08TRDOFFROAD has a brilliant future08TRDOFFROAD has a brilliant future08TRDOFFROAD has a brilliant future08TRDOFFROAD has a brilliant future08TRDOFFROAD has a brilliant future08TRDOFFROAD has a brilliant future

Law Enforcement: Police
Name: Daniel
08TRDOFFROAD's Tacoma Gallery
I would definitely like more information! What size tubing did you use? About how much did the materials cost? My father in law could probably help me fabricate something like that!
Old 08-09-2013, 08:17 AM   #4
Wishin' I was Fishin'
landphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I'll post more pics when I have a minute, IIRC, materials were just shy of $200, but its been a few years. Tubing is 1.5 x1.5 x .067 wall - light, yet very strong. Its rock solid.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:34 AM   #5
Master Baiter
jethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Geoff
jethro's Tacoma Gallery
I have trailers for my aluminum boats, but I do have a canoe that is 15' long and about 120lbs. It's a flat back Old Town with an 850lb rating and a 5hp motor. I made a rack like the one above only out of 2x3 wood I had laying around. Made it sorta in an emergency when I had a similar situation... was going motorcycling and needed to tow the bike trailer and the canoe at the same time. It was supposed to be temporary but it was rock solid for like 5 years.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:36 AM   #6
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
How about attaching it to the travel trailer roof? Much more surface area to mess with.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:51 AM   #7
Wishin' I was Fishin'

The angle rails that sit on the box rails are 3/16 plate -you could have a metal shop bend them on a brake, or I cut my angles from 4 x 4" x 3/16 square tubing, yes, it took some effort with zip discs as I didn't have access to a plasma cutter at the time. I cut the top of the rail to match the curve of the bed rail, looks and fits better that way. I had to knotch out the rear edges and plate on the inside to accommodate the rear bed corner brackets. Also note the front and rear "stops" that keep it from sliding fore/ aft on the bed rails. Then there are cut-outs and "rails" at the four corners to attach it to the factory bed rails with the factory cleats - simply back them out more, install, twist, and tighten, and the rack is secure. My rack now sits 28" tall overall from the bed rails, PM me if you want any more measurements, angles. And thinking about it more, I think it might have been about $100 for materials, not $200 like I said.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:26 AM   #8
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
How about attaching it to the travel trailer roof? Much more surface area to mess with.
This is what I was thinking
Old 08-10-2013, 12:09 PM   #9
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Could be a good option too, depending on the height of the trailer. Legal height is 13'6", but lots of spots (gas stations, etc) don't have that kind of clearance, and loading and unloading the boat would be very difficult anywhere near that high. If the trailer is low enough, it might be much simpler than a truck rack though.