1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

That new truck smell

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by tacomafan, Sep 11, 2007.

1. Sep 11, 2007 at 1:15 AM
    tacomafan

tacomafan [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    prerunner
    none yet, looking to upgrade.
    I bought my Tacoma last month brand new. It had 85 miles on it. It seems like a small number of miles but who knows what kind of careless drivers touched my baby before me! Even the Toyota service guys drive customers' cars with no respect right in front of us! Prospective buyers usually don't test drive cars carefully, they put it to the limit. Should I be worried I'm driving a bruised truck? I'm having some problems with noise issues along with acceleration. Kind of like a typewriter typing ppppppppp. Any feedback would be helpful, thanks.

2. Sep 11, 2007 at 1:50 AM
    TheMaster

TheMaster Born to Ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Chicky Baby
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2007 DC TRD Sport
    Bug shield, window visors, skid plate, rust proofing, tonneau cover, paint & upholstery protection, side step bars, navigation system.
    I dont think your truck was a demo unless they mentioned it to you. A sales guy may have taken it home for the weekend. You have nothing to worry. Just make sure you do our part as an owner.

3. Sep 11, 2007 at 4:17 AM
    ZonKs

ZonKs Can speak french in Russian.

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Glendale, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Sport DCSB 4x4
    =p
    They are tough trucks, dont worry. If they can handle being thrown out of Loch Ness by the Loch Ness Monster they sure as heck can handle a sloppy driver or two.

That tapping sound is extremely common.

Ted

4. Sep 11, 2007 at 3:07 PM
    gadawg

gadawg Member

Member:
    Waco
    Mine was a Demo with 2500 miles when I got and no issues. The previous post is correct they are TOUGH.:D

5. Sep 11, 2007 at 4:48 PM
    Lee's06Taco

Lee's06Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Visalia, CA
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4X4
    Demo or not, you've got warranty!

6. Sep 12, 2007 at 10:46 AM
    SR5TaComa24

SR5TaComa24 Carolina Alliance: Sunshine State Division

Member:
    Florida's Best Kept Secret
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 Prerunner Black
    yea like lee says as long as you dont void that warranty you dont really have anything to worry about.
    all i knwo is when i test drove a couple tacomas last month i drove the hell out of em!! :)

7. Sep 12, 2007 at 11:06 AM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    yeah, i test drove a trd sport for my first one. i turned on the 4 wheel drive on pavement and tore ass around turns. i floored it over those stupid speed "humps" in neighborhoods to test the suspension and redlined it constantly (which is really bad for a new engine). just keep that warranty and you'll be fine. I got mine straight off the truck before it had a chance to get test driven. although it was driven 290 miles to get to my dealership. I was told they primarily used retirees to drive the vehicles down so there is less chance of hotdogging the new vehicle. I'm not worried, i think the guy that drove mine was around 90 so it probably didnt hit 55mph

8. Sep 12, 2007 at 11:29 AM
    Beverly0817

Beverly0817 Well-Known Member

Member:
    My truck had 290 miles on it when I got it. It had to be driven from a dealership in Tupelo to a dealership in Hattiesburg. I was there when the "retiree" pulled into the lot. She was at least 70. As for the new smell....I loved it while it lasted. Got my truck in April, and I can't smell the new anymore!

9. Sep 12, 2007 at 11:45 AM
    wormhole7

wormhole7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lake Dallas, Tx
    Vehicle:
    TSS
    Leather, Suspension TSB, Billy 5100's up front set at .85, Eaton Posi LSD,Grillcraft Black Mesh Grills,Aires Bull Bar,Black Low Profile Narrow Toybox,Black Headlight Mod,Black Tail lights ,USA Spec,Ipod, PopnLock,Bed Mat,Bug Sheild,Vent Visors, Weathertec Liners,Radar,Nuvi 760,Dog Ramp,Convex Mirrors, Roof Rack, Tint, Borla exhaust, Borla Intake, OBX pedals, Home Link Auto Dimming Mirror with remote, 20" Factory Wheels, Factory Tube Steps
    My truck had 5025 miles on it when I bought it. It was a demo. I have had no issues at all. I assumed a sales guy had it for the year as I got it on December 31st of 06. Still looked new and smelled new. It actually still has that "leather smell" as I had the dealer put leather in it. Luckily, I quit smoking on that same day or I'm sure it would not smell too good now. :eek:

10. Sep 12, 2007 at 1:01 PM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    Beverly: i lost my new truck smell too. i read a thread on here a few months back that tells you how to reclaim that smell. Apparently this guy bought a truck for his son and the previous owner was a smoker. He said to get the new car smell back you gotta do this....

Take a rag and soak it in paint thinner. Then take the rag and let it sit until it is dry. Then take aluminum foil and wrap up the rag, leaving a small opening at the top of the foil. put the foil wraped rag under a seat and let it sit there for a few days. Then voila, new car smell is back. I remember reading that right when i got my truck thinking i would try it as soon as it lost the smell, but i havnt tried it yet. He claims to have done it on very old cars and it works, he says its a trick that used cars salesmen have been using for years. I'll try it when i get some time (aka, stop being lazy). If you try it before me how bout posting the results?

11. Sep 12, 2007 at 1:14 PM
    Beverly0817

Member:
    I said that about the new smell because I knew someone would know how to "get it back!" I might give that a try! I'd like to try it another vehicle first. Too bad I don't have one!

12. Sep 12, 2007 at 1:42 PM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    I'll see if i can be un-lazy long enough tonight to do it. if so i'll let you know how it goes

13. Sep 12, 2007 at 4:42 PM
    armstrsm

armstrsm Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Little Rock, AR
    Vehicle:
    07' Double Cab 4x4 SR5 TRd OffRoad
    AVS Vent Visors, AVS Bug Shield, Locks On Bed storage, Weathertech floor liners, Access roll up tonneau, Dual Head unit, illuminated 4x4 switch, Devil Horns
    About that paint thinner...under the car seat im pretty sure huffin that stuff isnt exactly good for the health....I mean who gonna drive your truck in like 30 years when its still kickin and your not....haha:cool:

14. Sep 12, 2007 at 5:03 PM
    SR5TaComa24

SR5TaComa24 Carolina Alliance: Sunshine State Division

Member:
    Florida's Best Kept Secret
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 Prerunner Black
    if this works u could patent it and make miliions :D $$$$$$$$

15. Sep 13, 2007 at 9:25 AM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    I went and found the post last night. After re-reading it i'm not exactly clear on what to do. here are the directions copied straight from teh post by kwe1560....

My Dad used to soak a rag in paint thinner, wring it out. Then let dry and wrap in aluminum foil, leaving a little opening. Place it under the passenger seat.this makes really works, and beleive it or not it actually makes the interior smell like it did when it was brand new. I have a 13 year old Civic(sorry, not fond of Toyota cars) and have been doing it for years, Everyone always tells me how the interior smells like a new car. I also wiped most of the dash down with armor-all(light coat)
    Just be careful with the paint thinner, Also heard that this is done at used car lots many times!!!!

so do you let it dry before you put it in your car, or do you put it in your car while it's driving? i'm not sure. It seems like if its still wet and you put it in your truck, your truck will smell like paint thinner. What do you guys think?

Here is a link to the entire thread...
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/technical-chat/557-smokers-revenge.html

16. Sep 14, 2007 at 12:28 AM
    Anubis

Anubis New Member

Member:
    Columbia, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5 DblCab
    First post have been snooping around awhile now, but found some interesting info on the web about the new car smell :eek:

New Car? Hold That Breath

Remember that day when you pulled out of your dealer's lot in your new, shiny Honda? Remember that divine new car smell, and how you inhaled it with deep consumer satisfaction and pride that you thought your nose might bleed?

Or now, three years later, as you replace your car's auto parts, with A/C condensers from Auto Parts Fast for instance -- how you long for that clean, new car smell to take over your senses once again?

Apparently that distinctive new car smell of fresh plastic, paint and upholstery that we savor right after we drive away in our new cars is hazardous to our health.

Japanese researchers have recently found that the new car smell that has intoxicated car buyers for decades is actually a toxic blend of chemicals knows as volatile organic compounds (VOCs) that leach from glues, paints, vinyls and plastics in the passenger compartment. Known to trigger headaches, sore throats, nausea and drowsiness (similar to sick-building syndrome traced to like agents seeping from walls, carpets and fixtures of new buildings) -- prolonged exposure to some of these chemicals can lead to cancer, although there's yet to be evidence linking that to cencentrations in cars.

A 2001 study by Australia's Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Association cited that just sitting in a new car can subject riders to toxic emissions several times the limits deemed safe for homes or offices by some health authorities, though the problem tends to dissipate after about six months. Now folks, better think twice of engaging the kids to breathing exercises inside your new car. Not good.

In an effort to combat these potentially life-threatening car interior emissions, the Japanese big five Toyota, Nissan, Honda, Mitsubishi, and Mazda -- are launching cars with lower VOC levels that will, by 2007, match Japanese Health Ministry guidelines for air quality in homes. Toyota, Japan's largest automaker, currently has six models on the road that meet the new standards, while Nissan has four. Honda's new Civic, unveiled this month, is their first, while Mitsubishi will begin its lineup with the "i" next year.

How about the U.S. Automakers? Are they doing something about this issue?

Well let's just say that it is not one of their priorities.

Paint Thinner under the seat might just work. But the question is will it be worth it....

17. Sep 14, 2007 at 5:50 AM
    coreyredken

coreyredken Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Georgia, Mount Airy
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5
    Westin Stainless Steel Oval Side Bars!
    I think you're just used to the new car smell.... I dont' smell it as much now, but when other people get in... they oooooooo and ahhhhhhhh over the smell.. Its probably there... just have been around it long enough to get used to it..

Its kinda like living in your home... you get used to the way your house and clothes smell.. And when you have company they tell you how nice your home smells... but you really cant' smell it... cause you're around it all the time..

You can also do an experiment... if you're like most guys.. you stick to one or two types of colgne.. well try buying and using something that you is really different than what you're used to wearing.. The first day you wear the new colgne you'll smell it on you all day and probably for about a week, because your nose isn't used to smelling it.. LOL..

Just thought I would waste some time this morning.. talking about noses and smells.. Wooooooooooohooooooooo!

18. Sep 14, 2007 at 9:31 AM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    Welcome to TW Anubis! Nice post, although i still miss my new car smell :)

19. Sep 17, 2007 at 5:58 PM
    GMG3

GMG3 Carolina Alliance: Golden State Division

Member:
    Hawthorne, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 Access 4X4 SR5 TRD Off Rd Manual 6 Tow Spd
    What's this? They want to engineer out the new car smell? I had read elsewhere the new car smell was composed of volatiles coming off new plastic, but didn't pay much attention thenm because I wasn't getting a new car. I understand Anubis' point about health, but I lbreathe the Great Toxic soup we call air in LA. I'd hate to buy a new car and not have that smell for at least a little while........

20. Sep 17, 2007 at 10:07 PM
    Beverly0817

Member:
    Hey coreyredken........you are right. I had a friend in my truck a few weeks ago that could still smell the new car/truck scent. Still, I don't believe it is as strong as it was when the truck was still new!

Products Discussed in

To Top