Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

resale value of a truck with a new frame?

View Poll Results: does a swapped frame change the resale value?
yes, the price would be increased 16 15.69%
yes, the price would be decreased 34 33.33%
no, the resale value would be the same 44 43.14%
I don't know / no idea / no opinion 12 11.76%
my cat's breath smells like cat food 10 9.80%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-18-2013, 01:34 PM   #41
TailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shed
TailDrag's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyohtadude View Post
I think the truck should value on par with NADA or KBB, not increase or decrease. I'd look at a truck with a replaced frame more favorably than one that hasn't had it swapped. I'd know that I'm much safer in the newer frame.

Seems a lot of folks have a serious lack of trust issues. I'm far from naive but I'm not cynical about major repairs or rebuilds. Come on!

Let's look at this from another perspective. Would you buy a used car that was rebuilt by Boyd Coddington or Chip Foose first? I can say that in my opinion, one is a hack and the other is a very thorough restoration expert with attention to detail.

Flame on folks....
One has been dead for years, time to move on.
Old 08-18-2013, 05:34 PM   #42
toyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Grunt
Name: Eric
toyohtadude's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TailDrag View Post
One has been dead for years, time to move on.
I'm talking about buying something today he worked on then... of the two, there's no comparison. What do you think? All his projects were buried with him?
Old 08-18-2013, 05:39 PM   #43
Well, let's play chess.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not sure what the Coddington/Foose feud has to do with buying a Tacoma that had the frame replaced under warranty by a Toyota shop. Dead or not, I don't see the connection.
Old 08-18-2013, 05:42 PM   #44
toyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Grunt
Name: Eric
toyohtadude's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
I'm not sure what the Coddington/Foose feud has to do with buying a Tacoma that had the frame replaced under warranty by a Toyota shop. Dead or not, I don't see the connection.
It was an analogy I made in post #39.
Old 08-18-2013, 05:43 PM   #45
Well, let's play chess.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
It was an analogy I made in post #39.
I read it the first time. It makes as much sense now WRT this thread as it did then.
Old 08-18-2013, 05:44 PM   #46
TailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shed
TailDrag's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I'm talking about buying something today he worked on then... of the two, there's no comparison. What do you think? All his projects were buried with him?
Yes.
Old 08-18-2013, 05:48 PM   #47
jdkilroy is a splendid one to beholdjdkilroy is a splendid one to beholdjdkilroy is a splendid one to beholdjdkilroy is a splendid one to beholdjdkilroy is a splendid one to beholdjdkilroy is a splendid one to beholdjdkilroy is a splendid one to behold

Name: Jon
jdkilroy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavis0076 View Post
Absolutly decreases the value. Lots of issues happen from frame swaps. As im sure you are experiencing.
My 2002 with a new frame courtesy of Toyota has had no problems what-so-ever. Toyota has developed a system to do these swaps with minimal complications.

I have had to replace other components due to rust but I have experienced no problems related to the frame replacement.

Was your comment based upon first hand experience?
Old 08-18-2013, 07:42 PM   #48
Well, let's play chess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkilroy View Post
My 2002 with a new frame courtesy of Toyota has had no problems what-so-ever. Toyota has developed a system to do these swaps with minimal complications.

I have had to replace other components due to rust but I have experienced no problems related to the frame replacement.

Was your comment based upon first hand experience?
I agree.

I think it's important to keep the reason for a frame swap in mind when sizing up a vehicle, which is why I advised full disclosure by the OP - which he was already going to do. "Frame swap" could easily be interpreted to mean the original frame was severely damaged in a collision, which would bring other systems into question, such as the drivetrain and suspension. In the case of replacement due to corrosion, other systems should be unharmed, and no more suspect than any other vehicle with similar mileage and wear.

In the OP's case, a new, full frame was provided by the OEM and installed by one of their shops - it doesn't get much better than that.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:56 PM   #49
Resident T100 guy
97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Melt
97T's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 97T
i would think that in a rust belt state a replaced frame would have a higher resale value. I know that if i lived in somewhere like michigan / wisconsin etc, i probably wouldnt even buy a toyota due to them being notorious for frame rust, but would consider getting one if it had a new frame.