1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Larger tires - where do they rub?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by EZ Bake, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Aug 12, 2013 at 2:09 PM
    EZ Bake

EZ Bake [OP] Active Member

Member:
    South of Tulsa
    Vehicle:
    2013 Double-Cab TRD Sport
    I've searched with no luck, but I may not be using the right search terms, so here goes.

I understand that the largest factory tires you can run are listed in the wheel/tire section but what I don't understand is if you go larger, where do they rub?

I'm guessing there are two parts to front-rub and they would be steering rub, as well as up/down rub. Can someone explain this in more detail (i.e. where are the problem spots and places that typically have to be trimmed)?

I know things like changing tire width as well as changing the offset of the wheel will affect this, but can changing wheel offset in combination with a taller skinnier tire and a couple inches of lift do anything to help with rubbing (my guess is: little if anything)?

The reason I ask is that I don't do a lot of serious off-roading (some sand, swampy areas, and mud, but no rock-climbing) and I'd love about 2" of lift and a 33" tire, but I don't see any way to accomplish this without putting up with some rubbing or actually cutting on the vehicle (which is still under warranty) som I'd love to avoid doing that.

Is this possible by adding maybe 2" of lift and tall/skinny tire on a wheel that has a negative enough offset or is cutting/rubbing pretty much an absolute?

I guess my real question is "Is there a magic combo of "This tire" on "this offset" with "this much lift" that gains anything at all over the factory limitations?"

2. Aug 12, 2013 at 2:12 PM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    Get a 2" lift with 4.5" BS wheels and run a 255/85/16 or 255/80/17 and you should be good. To answer your question though, it rubs on the cab mount, front mud flap / fender, bottom outer rear fender, pinch weld, control arms and near the engine bay.

Products Discussed in

To Top