1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Selling Privately...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by BIGGJERRYC, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Aug 12, 2013 at 4:00 PM
    BIGGJERRYC

BIGGJERRYC [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Lansdale, PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off Road DC 6spd
    I somehow injured my knee at work over the last 6 months (not sure how) but it is to the point where it is hard to drive. So I have been thinking about selling my truck. It is a...

-2011 Silver Streak
    -DC
    -TRD Off Road
    -6 Speed
    -16k miles
    -immaculate shape.
    -I hit a deer back in March but it was all cosmetic damage. no structural or frame damage at all.

I purchased the truck for a great deal of $29k and some change OUT THE DOOR.

I just got a trade in offer of 26k at a Subaru dealership.

I'd like some opinions on whether it is worth it to try and sell privately...

2. Aug 12, 2013 at 4:02 PM
    Gaunt596

Gaunt596 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Central Maryland
    it is worth it, tacos are hard to come by on the east coast, especially in that good of a condition, im pretty sure if you decide to sell it you wont have to wait long.

3. Aug 12, 2013 at 4:08 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot My 1st Muscle Car

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.
    ... ^^^ ... That is a good "trade in offer" especially when if you get the "trade in tax offset credit" ... :D

Actually for a vehicle that is listed in CarFax ... $26,000 cash (based on your $29,000. OTD price) is excellent.

If you trade for the Subaru (love those things) try to get a "TrueCar Price" on you new Subaru and $26k trade in and you are in great shape IMO ... :D

"TrueCar" pricing link--> http://www.truecar.com

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  4. Aug 12, 2013 at 4:10 PM
    kb2tha

kb2tha Well-Known Member

Member:
    Delaware County, NYS
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 TRD OffRoad
    Scangauge
    I just got a trade in offer of 26k at a Subaru dealership.

[/QUOTE]

So, in Pa. on a trade in do you get credit for the tax on the trade value? You do in NY. If so that would put your trade in at a value to you of $27,680 with an 8% tax rate. Was the 26k offer off full sticker on the Subaru?

BTW, I have an 08 TRD OR AC 4x4, V6 auto and a 2014 Suby Forester. Have owned 5 Subarus now. :)

5. Aug 12, 2013 at 4:11 PM
    BIGGJERRYC

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Lansdale, PA
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, They threw 25 at me right before I said anything. I said 26 and they didn't hesitate much. I know 26k is a seriously high trade in value. I expected to ask 25 and maybe get 24 or something.

But it brings me to.. how much more money do you think I can pull by selling privately?

6. Aug 12, 2013 at 4:12 PM
    BIGGJERRYC

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Lansdale, PA
    Vehicle:
    Yes, you do get tax credit and no that was not on a full stickered car. (I sold Toyota for a while and have some negotiation tactics haha)

7. Aug 12, 2013 at 4:14 PM
    ziggynagy

ziggynagy All Glory To The Hypnotoad

Member:
    Stoughton, MA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Sport AC 4x4 V6 Auto Tow
    Westin step bars, led dome & map lights, tailgate hoseclamp, BluLogic, MetalMiller emblem, 35 tinted front windows, extra OEM d-rings, WeatherTech front/rear
    Sounds like a great deal, especially if your needs no longer warrant a truck.

8. Aug 12, 2013 at 4:19 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot My 1st Muscle Car

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.
    ... ^^^ ... Check Edmunds.com .... KBB.com ... NADA.com ... TrueCar.com ... for some pricing tips.

$26,000. cash for a $29,000 OTD vehicle (listed in CarFax) with 16,000 miles is a good price IF you can get it ... :confused:

And $26,000 trade in with "tax offset credits" and a "close to TrueCar sales price on the Subaru" is a terrific price IMO ...

Good luck with the sale or trade in ... and good luck with your knees too ... :D

9. Aug 12, 2013 at 4:37 PM
    Elmosaurus

Elmosaurus Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra Blazing Blue SR5 TRD Crewmax 4x4
    That's what I just went through when preparing to buy my Taco.

If the difference in taxes collected on what you would have gotten for the trade isn't less than the private party 'extra profit', then you're actually not doing yourself any favors by selling privately.

An example since it sounds confusing.

Hypothetical trade in = $20k. Here in PA, that saves you $1200 in taxes on the new vehicle. (because you paid taxes on that $20k car originally so they credit you by not charging it on that portion of the new vehicle) So actual contribution to your out the door price is $21,200.

Sell it privately? You better get more than $21,200 in order to JUST BREAK EVEN with the trade in route. If you can get $22k, sure, you just got $800 more that you can reduce the final cost of the new vehicle with. But if you only get $21k, while it sounds like you got more than the trade offer, you actually lost out because the increase in collected taxes will end up costing you $200 more after everything is factored in on the out that final door price.

Not to mention there is a cost to listing the vehicle for private party sale usually, in terms of actual marketing (newspaper classifieds, thePaperShop, etc) or in terms of frustration. (Craigslist idiots that call nonstop with trade offers, never actually show up to look at the vehicle, suddenly can't come up with the funds, etc)

I'm sure the OP already knows this, but it's a good reminder and puts things in perspective.

FWIW, I'd only consider private party if you are sure you can make at least a grand extra or more; the frustration and wasted time is not worth only a few hundred dollar increase to me, when compared to the speed and simplicity of trading in. (I want my purchase experience to be a fun and enjoyable thing)

E.

10. Aug 12, 2013 at 6:34 PM
    stump jumper

stump jumper Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra 4x4 CM TSS
    Keep in mind that if you itemize taxes you will lose some of the sales tax trade in benefit. It still sounds like a good deal to me. Sales tax is the only reason I traded mine. I think there would a lit less trades if they ever did away with the trade in sales tax benefit.

11. Aug 14, 2013 at 1:30 AM
    BIGGJERRYC

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Lansdale, PA
    Vehicle:
    I feel like I am going to break even no matter which way I go. I guess clean my truck up and start shopping around. I really love this truck so I may consider trading it for a 2013 super white with auto trans. Might be able to get even more for trade since a toyota dealership will be able to certify it.

12. Aug 14, 2013 at 3:36 AM
    savedone

savedone Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gerald
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    TRD off-road 6speed manual
    3 inch lift by dealer at purchase
    Without all the particulars it is impossible to tell you a price. Go here and put in the information to get the right price.
    http://www.kbb.com/

13. Aug 14, 2013 at 3:40 AM
    stump jumper

stump jumper Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra 4x4 CM TSS
    if you are trading then do not waste time cleaning.

Products Discussed in

To Top