1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hey guys! Looking at buying my first Toyota! Have some questions!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jTrimmell, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Aug 12, 2013 at 9:32 PM
    jTrimmell

jTrimmell [OP] "Don't worry we have airbags!!"

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Laguna Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Dodge Charger Scat Pack
    Hey guys, I've been a member on the forum for a few years. I've been creeping the forum for quite awhile and looking at every build thread I can find. If I had my choice I would buy a Land Cruiser 70 Series new and have it imported. Very expensive. And there are a few ways to import it piece by piece and just assemble it here but it would also be very expensive.

Currently I'm driving my 2010 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Diesel that I have had for right at 3 years. 3 years of trouble free ownership and 97,000 miles later and I'm looking for something new. I've had new diesel trucks since my senior year of high school and its time for a change.

I'm moving back to California again at the end of the year. I have had diesel trucks every time I've lived in California and while the size is nice for the times when those pesky Prius drivers decide to tempt fate and test how fast I can get my 7,900lb brick shut down from 70mph parking absolutely SUCKS in the beach community I've lived in every time and I will live in again this time. I swear they use a Prius to decide on the width/length of their parking spots! Not to mention how many times I had I leave my truck downtown in LA or across the LA area because of people getting me blocked in.

I just want something a little easier to park relatively easy wherever I want and will still complete all my day to day projects.

I've looked at 4Runner Trail Editions, 2 Door Jeep Wranglers, Toyota Tacomas and even a few Chevy Tahoes. Currenty I'm torn between the Wrangler, Tacoma and the 4Runners. I have seen some of the 2014 4Runner's and I'm not real impressed with what they have some with the Trail Edition and how they have changed some of the exterior attributes.

As far as the Tacoma I am looking at a Black 2013 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 V6 6Speed Manual with the TRD Sport Package. I test drove it and was really surprised how much room it had and how much fun it was to drive. I'm not really worried about mpg at the moment as I may do a small OME lift, ARB bumper and some other goodies.

Does anyone regret buying Tacoma with a 6speed manual?

And as soon as I get moved back I plan on buying another dirt bike so it would be nice to be able to haul the bike in the bed and not have to use a trailer or a hitch mounted carrier!

The truck I have now has literally been all over the country, up into Canada all over and up and down the Baja peninsula and its never skipped a beat or gave me any reason to hesitate taking it somewhere on a moments notice.

I need some recommendations and advice on what I should buy! Wrangler would be fun just for being able to take the softtop off and doors and just cruise while enjoying the Southern California sunshine 90% of the time. But I think the Tacoma would be more practical. I don't pull any trailers anymore besides a 14' utility trailer that I won't have in California. I really wish the Tacoma was available with a 6 Speed Manual in the Double Cab Fullsize bed configuration. It's a bummer that its not! That would be my choice for sure! I just don't really like the looks of the Double Cab and short bed. Give me some input guys!

2. Aug 12, 2013 at 9:41 PM
    WHPLSH3

WHPLSH3 Fortified with horsepower-adding goodness...

Member:
    First Name:
    Vance
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged Spruce Mica 6spd 4x4
    Build thread coming soon!
    No regrets buying a 6 speed from this cat!:spy:
    Had to special order it just to have one... You're right, it's too bad Toyota won't make a DCLB manual. But I chose have my 6 speed instead of 6 feet, and I'm happy with my decision

3. Aug 12, 2013 at 9:51 PM
    Richc2048

Richc2048 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Aurora, Co
    Vehicle:
    O'13 DCSB TRD O/R
    I really wanted the 6' bed with my double cab but 6 speed was important to me. No regrets. I came from a 2006 dodge ram quad cab. Full size is no fun with parking lots. Got big nerf bars so people would think twice of swinging their doors all the way out. I'd say go with the Tacoma but you are in Tacoma world so hey....

4. Aug 12, 2013 at 10:44 PM
    jTrimmell

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Laguna Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    Yeah the 6 Speed is important to me too man! And so is the larger bed so the Access Cab is my only option I guess. If only they would bring the diesel options over to us as well!

I absolutely love the size, firm ride and everything about my current truck. BUT it practically takes an act of congress to get the thing parked anywhere along PCH in SoCal which causes us to park blocks away from the beach. Not to mention all the parking garages I had to park in that never seemed tall enough to clear my cab clearance lights even when they say I should have plenty of room.

5. Aug 12, 2013 at 11:01 PM
    DJB1

DJB1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SLC, UT
    Vehicle:
    2003 Regular Cab 4X4 5MT
    I love my 6 speed manual, but I'm biased and I won't buy anything auto. I've had mine about a year and the more I drive it the more it reminds me of a Honda manual transmission: very precise and smooth. I switched all the drivetrain fluids to Amsoil synthetic at 50,000 miles and it made it even better. That's another thing I love about my Tacoma, all the drain/fill plugs are easy to access, all the filters are accessible and all the spark plugs are easy to change.

It's fun to drive on the street and even more fun off-road. The range of the 6 speed when you're in 4-Lo on steep or bumpy shit is really useful. Makes it easy to maintain just the right momentum. If your Tacoma will will do a lot of mall-crawling, that's ok too, it has a tight turning radius that makes Wally World parking lots easy to deal with.

6. Aug 12, 2013 at 11:19 PM
    jTrimmell

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Laguna Beach, CA
    Vehicle:

It won't be a straight mall cruiser, pavement pounder or whatever terms are common. I mean it will see beach time, hauling my bike around, probably some snow up at big bear, playing in the desert if I get some time to spectate throughout the season. I definitely will drive it. I wonder if the TRD Sport comes with the locking differential? Something I'll have to check out tomorrow. How rigid are the mud flaps? They look like they could get ripped off pretty easily.

7. Aug 13, 2013 at 8:32 AM
    WHPLSH3

Member:
    First Name:
    Vance
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    No diff lock available on a sport- only off road. I tried to get the sales manager to ask when I was ordering my truck, but he just couldn't comprehend why I would want to change the way the truck comes equipped.
    Yes, the mudflaps will rip off easily... but at least they don't damage the holes too badly when they do rip off

8. Aug 13, 2013 at 5:32 PM
    jTrimmell

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Laguna Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    I talked to the dealer this morning and he told me if I ordered one I would be about 6-8 weeks out on delivery. Which is the usual timeline I think every manufacturer will give you. I would go with the TRD Offroad package but I'm not a fan on of the wheels or the rugged trails for that matter. And I know I could probably find some take offs from someone on the forum but serious about getting a bike pretty quick so the truck will be stock for awhile. They had access to a truck pretty much matching everything I want to a T but it has a bunch of aftermarket crap that the dealer installed that I don't want. Aftermarket sunroof, steps and some cheap looking stick on vinyl pin stripping that they want $350 for. Literally looks like the $15 toll of grey pin striping from auto zone. If only we could get exactly what we want! Double Cab, Long Bed, Diesel, 6 Speed. I would never own a full size truck again!

I still couldn't believe when my father and I went on vacation to Australia to visit my uncle how they use Toyota Land Cruiser 70 Series to haul stuff I haul with my 1 ton Dodge. We did see a few Superdutys down there and a couple of Chevys but for the most part they are using 70 Series, some Izuzu Dmax's and Nissan Patrol Cab & Chassis.

Just need to decide on a color and whether to bite the bullet and get the Offroad Package for a little bit more and just deal with the wheels and tires for awhile or what! Is there any real advantages offroad wise with the offroad package? The locker is definitely appealing!

9. Aug 13, 2013 at 8:06 PM
    WHPLSH3

Member:
    First Name:
    Vance
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    If you don't want to do any major mechanical mods, the off road is definitely the most capable in stock form. A lot of guys just put ARB lockers in a sport to have the best of both worlds- wicked good looks & go anywhere capability. This is my ultimate plan...

10. Aug 13, 2013 at 8:49 PM
    jTrimmell

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Laguna Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    Yeah I have seen alot of threads with people installing the ARB lockers! I think if I do go the Tacoma route I'll just stick with a sport. I don't see myself getting into to many situations where I will need a locker. Especially in Southern California. I tend to avoid mud when possible.

11. Aug 13, 2013 at 8:55 PM
    DJB1

DJB1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SLC, UT
    Vehicle:
    2003 Regular Cab 4X4 5MT
    Those Land Cruiser 70 series trucks are fuckin' awesome!

12. Aug 14, 2013 at 8:16 AM
    jTrimmell

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Laguna Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    It's definitely me dream to own one!

13. Aug 14, 2013 at 8:36 AM
    Richc2048

Richc2048 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Aurora, Co
    Vehicle:
    O'13 DCSB TRD O/R
    My requirement was 13 cup holders. No more, no less.

14. Aug 14, 2013 at 6:50 PM
    DJB1

DJB1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SLC, UT
    Vehicle:
    2003 Regular Cab 4X4 5MT
    The 8 in the door pockets are BOTTLE holders, the small one next to 2nd gear on 6 speed trucks is a CAN holder, and the other 2 in front and 2 behind the center console are CUP holders. It's perfect for road trips because you can hold 4 cups of coffee, 1 24oz. energy drink and 8 water bottles to fill with pee-pee.:)

15. Aug 14, 2013 at 6:52 PM
    MGMTacolover55

MGMTacolover55 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orygun
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM Taco TRD Off Road
    floor Mats
    Just buy the Tacoma and love it simple as that

16. Aug 14, 2013 at 7:15 PM
    jTrimmell

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Laguna Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    Haha this guy! ^

17. Aug 14, 2013 at 7:33 PM
    shackley

shackley Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Pro MT Super White
    RCI rock sliders, Goodyear Ultraterrains 265/70/R16, BAK X2 tonneau
    I've had 5 Tacoma manuals (4 cyls have 5 spds), and a 6 spd ACC TRD Baja and use it in the field (archaeologist) now.

They only make about 1 manual trans to 10 or more autos.

18. Aug 14, 2013 at 7:58 PM
    Mad Man Marty

Mad Man Marty Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marty
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma SR5 TRD Sport
    6speed, TRD intake, bed tie downs, weathertech rear,Tint
    I have a '07 trd sport access cab. Love the 6 speed.
    Great truck. 1 problem u may have is the rear springs squatting,depending on the weight of your bike in the back. Read some of the threads.

19. Aug 15, 2013 at 9:05 AM
    jTrimmell

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Laguna Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    Yeah there definitely isn't very many manuals. Two different dealers tried to locate the truck I want and there isn't any 2013's left in the configuration I want in black. So I will have to order a 2014 if I go with the Tacoma.

Yeah I have read some threads about sagging. But I would imagine it would haul a dirt bike pretty easily. I could definitely see it being a problem though if you were loaded heavy all the time. We have a contractor that bought a 2012 to use out checking wells etc and I'm pretty sure he is riding on bump stops everywhere he goes now. It looks like he has a permanent 3" sag in the rear from all the weight he hauls every day.

Products Discussed in

To Top