1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Heater Core Question for On Board Shower

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by tweeek, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Oct 15, 2013 at 9:42 PM
    skygear

skygear                    

Member:
    The heat exchangers are in he ~$100 range. A nice pump will be in the same range also. Then there is the mixing valve/ anti scald unit. Again, similar price point. After those 3 purchases, it is just HOSE, Fittings, a little coolant and a sock.

2. Oct 15, 2013 at 9:44 PM
    skygear

skygear                    

Member:
  3. Nov 28, 2013 at 4:06 PM
    tweeek

tweeek [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Victoria, BC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma Access Cab TRD OR
    Any update on your project skygear? Curious how your setup came out.

I have used the shower a couple times since my last Utah trip and it is working flawlessly. As long as I idle at about 1050 rpm the water is incredibly hot. It is, by far, my wifes favorite mod on the truck lol

Just blew the lines out with my compressor to prep for winter. Took 3 minutes and is good to go.

4. Nov 28, 2013 at 6:43 PM
    skygear

skygear                    

Member:
    Well, its winter.. Bitter cold and a horrible wind chill got me today. Doing a couple side jobs, trying to manage/budget for the wanted end result. Pretty sure those will be the items I get. I linked the thread in my sig

FYI - I pulled all the posts from this thread, Quoted them and put them all in the OBW (On Board Water) thread I linked in my sig.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2013
  5. Jun 24, 2014 at 9:46 PM
    Spencer

Spencer Future President

Member:
    First Name:
    TIGGLEBITTIES
    Upland, Chino... all of 909.
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB 4X4 6cyl Sex Machine
    Redline hood lift, Flyzeye cabin lights, tailgate lock, SPOD Power block, VIAR onboard air, Cobra CB radio, Firestick 4' Antenna, Hot Blonde CoPilot Mod, SIX 9" Hella 4000 HID conversion with external 55W ballasts, Six 6" LED bars, Napier Bed Tent, Mudflaps delete using rocks, Roof rack by Brute force, Rock sliders by Brute force, Bed LED lights, Underhood LED automatic lights, Constant 12V bed plug, Rugged race radio, ICON uniball UCA's, KING 2.5 700 rate coilovers, Deaver rear leaf springs, KING 2.5 resi rear shocks (Flat 0.15 stack on compression shims), Scangauge, Empty wallet Mod Bug disease, AllPro Apex front bumper, On board heat exchange shower & water pump (Heater Core intercept mod), On Board Air - Viair for now, ARB when it dies-, allpro Skids back to gas tank- Tepui RTT on the shittiest "Bed Rack" ever made.... AllPro U Bolt flip kit with timbren bumps NEXT UP- expo leafs & bed rack, hydraulic bumps in rear, Total Chaos stock LCA's w/ Bypass, Rear 12" shock hoop relocate
    Hey here to revive an old thread. I'm jumping on this project! nobody answered which hose I'm supposed to tap into, hoping someone can clear that up for me.
    Also, what size is that heater core hose? I wanna buy the hose barbs & fittings while I wait for the heat exchanger to ship...

6. Jun 24, 2014 at 11:03 PM
    skygear

skygear                    

Member:
    I will look a little later. Might be in the On Board Water OBW thread.

7. Jun 25, 2014 at 5:16 AM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    I believe you'll find the hose that is the highest on the engine will be the hottest and the lower one will be the return.

8. Jun 25, 2014 at 7:14 AM
    tweeek

Member:
    Victoria, BC
    Vehicle:
    x2 I tapped into the lower hose to avoid interfering with heater. There is already a factory splice there. I left the short hose in. This way if I ever have a rupture in the exchanger, or hoses, I can very easily bypass the shower setup and go back to stock in the field.

I cant remember what size the hoses and fittings were, but I believe they were 5/8. Don't quote me on that though.

I've used it probably 12 times now. I definitely need to raise the idle to 1050 or 1100 to really get a "home like" temp. if I just idle, its warm, but not hot. At 1050 ita glorious!
    vysunepa_aaec4367a0962afa934abfa4f893c0f75546badc.jpg

9. Jun 25, 2014 at 8:10 PM
    Spencer

Spencer Future President

Member:
    First Name:
    TIGGLEBITTIES
    Vehicle:
    Redline hood lift, Flyzeye cabin lights, tailgate lock, SPOD Power block, VIAR onboard air, Cobra CB radio, Firestick 4' Antenna, Hot Blonde CoPilot Mod, SIX 9" Hella 4000 HID conversion with external 55W ballasts, Six 6" LED bars, Napier Bed Tent, Mudflaps delete using rocks, Roof rack by Brute force, Rock sliders by Brute force, Bed LED lights, Underhood LED automatic lights, Constant 12V bed plug, Rugged race radio, ICON uniball UCA's, KING 2.5 700 rate coilovers, Deaver rear leaf springs, KING 2.5 resi rear shocks (Flat 0.15 stack on compression shims), Scangauge, Empty wallet Mod Bug disease, AllPro Apex front bumper, On board heat exchange shower & water pump (Heater Core intercept mod), On Board Air - Viair for now, ARB when it dies-, allpro Skids back to gas tank- Tepui RTT on the shittiest "Bed Rack" ever made.... AllPro U Bolt flip kit with timbren bumps NEXT UP- expo leafs & bed rack, hydraulic bumps in rear, Total Chaos stock LCA's w/ Bypass, Rear 12" shock hoop relocate

Sweet!

Is there any way you could take a pic further back to show just where that is in the engine bay?

And what's the advantage / dis
    To going before or after the stock heater core? Was it just the existing splice that made you do it?

10. Jun 25, 2014 at 8:16 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Driver side firewall between the brake booster and the engine.

11. Jun 25, 2014 at 8:36 PM
    tweeek

Member:
    Victoria, BC
    Vehicle:
    Either way will work, but if you connect on the input, the hot coolant from the engine will first pass through the heat exchanger before entering the heater core, potentially at a cooler temperature, thus affecting your heaters output.

12. Jun 25, 2014 at 8:40 PM
    Spencer

Spencer Future President

Member:
    First Name:
    TIGGLEBITTIES
    Vehicle:

Which, after heating up under normal vehicle use should cause a delay in heat, but not a permanent issue

Right?

Under shower use it'd cause a cold cabin heater output, but I'm not gonna be in the shower and in the cab at the same time, nor showering where I couldn't live without the heater for 20 min...

? Any reason I could be wrong here? I refuse to screw up stock functionality for mods...

13. Jun 25, 2014 at 8:47 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Build a bypass for the heater core and switch between the two cores with ball valves.
    No delay or impact on cabin heat, no compromise on shower temp, and if either core fails, simply rotate the valves to direct the coolant through the good core and get on with your trip.

14. Jun 25, 2014 at 9:09 PM
    tweeek

Member:
    Victoria, BC
    Vehicle:
    Not quite. The hot water will always travel through the heat exchanger before entering the heater core. When driving down the road, the heat exchanger is working like a radiator. Air in the plates will cool the coolant before it enters the heater core, theoretically always reducing the heat temperature. How much much/if any effect it actually has in real life, I dont know.
    This would definitely work. Im sure there are ball valves out there that are ok to use with 200+ degree water, im not sure, but IMO this just adds more complexity and doesnt really solve any problem. The solution is very simple.... Put the heat exchanger on the output of the heater core.

15. Jun 25, 2014 at 9:19 PM
    Spencer

Spencer Future President

Member:
    First Name:
    TIGGLEBITTIES
    Vehicle:

Aha! Perfect.
    Build thread to follow soon.

Has anyone seen the "mixing manifold" I've seen on a couple other threads? I've seen em called anti scald units or something... Last loose end to tie is the hot/ cold mix manifold. The RV ones are super cheap plastic , I'll need one compact and very sturdy so I'll never have to worry about it.

16. Jun 25, 2014 at 9:21 PM
    skygear

skygear                    

Member:
    You can just use a shower valve. But yes. I linked a couple here. They're not cheap

17. Jun 26, 2014 at 9:16 AM
    skygear

skygear                    

Member:
  18. Jun 26, 2014 at 9:21 AM
    Spencer

Spencer Future President

Member:
    First Name:
    TIGGLEBITTIES
    Vehicle:
    Beautiful.
    Thanks!

I'll jump off this thread and onto the other now to keep all the info in one place.

19. Jun 2, 2015 at 5:38 PM
    2ski4life7

2ski4life7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seattle WA
    Vehicle:
    17 DCLB 4x4 TRD Off Road Previously '12 DCLB 4x4 SR5
    Bumping this thread as i am about to install on board water. I don't necessarily need hot water but am thinking about installing one of sorts. I have seen the cool setups with the heater core which is a great idea but seems a lot of work. Would an electric water heater work as good? Or will it not get up to high enough temps?

Something like this? http://smile.amazon.com/RoadPro-RPB...r=8-8&keywords=portable+electric+water+heater

You could permanently install this into a water storage tank and then flip a switch to heat the water. What do you guys think?

20. Jun 2, 2015 at 5:59 PM
    2ski4life7

2ski4life7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seattle WA
    Vehicle:
    17 DCLB 4x4 TRD Off Road Previously '12 DCLB 4x4 SR5
    Yeah I some propane systems. Just weary of carrying around propane.

And yeah it is small but If I could find a higher output heater and maybe put two or three I think it would be somewhat feasible. Hmmmm time to google some other methods.

Products Discussed in

To Top