1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help - Truck broke at dealer

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 02Duck, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Aug 15, 2013 at 8:05 PM
    Chris24

Chris24 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Greensboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 Black DCSB TRD Sport, V6, 6sp
    my 6sp has had a rattle when taking off at low rpms since I bought it last year...its just a shield rattling somewhere when rpms are too low and the truck shakes

2. Aug 15, 2013 at 8:12 PM
    Timbo's Customs

Timbo's Customs Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Timothy
    Lakeland FL
    Vehicle:
    2019 f250 6”lift 37s deleted 1997 T4r, tons and 4ds
    1997 t4r has super duty axles, 5.13s locked front and rear. 3 link front with 14" kings. Rear 63s.
    Why not let them wash it. And I just bought a demo model with 4k on it. Drove it home had a vibe when hitting the brakes and felt a little bump in seat while driving. Took back ended up having tires re balanced and rear drums turned. I hate drums with a passion. My 13silverado had them I traded it in for my 13 taco and still have drums.

The little oiston part of the wheel cylinder cojld have came apart and ended ul jamming the shoe stopping it. Going to be fun getting the drum off I bet

3. Aug 15, 2013 at 8:19 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    The brake cup is right next to the caffeine booster hydraulic line blow off valve. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  4. Aug 15, 2013 at 8:59 PM
    LocoTaco

LocoTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Central Washington
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 TRD Sport
    The conveyor track car wash I use takes off the antenna before the wash and then installs it after the wash. Try using a Pink Elephant car wash, at least they do that where I live, about 140 miles from Seattle.

5. Aug 15, 2013 at 8:59 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    My truck did the same thing after washing it but it happened the next morning after sitting over night. Like mentioned it seems like something with the brakes. I gave it gas and it freed up (after making a load noise.) I've never had a problem since (this happened a few years back.) I've read of it happening also when the truck sits after launching a boat.

6. Aug 15, 2013 at 10:46 PM
    cheeseit

cheeseit Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver B.C.
    Vehicle:
    2005 SR5/TRD OR Tacoma
    3 inch toytec lift
    If were talking about touchless automated washes stay the hell away. We get cars come into the shop all the time that have spots etched into the paint and glass from them. If you just rinse a car nothing comes off so there has to be some sort of chemicals that are probably acidic to lift the dirt off the paint and this probably etches surfaces if it's allowed to sit or maybe someone mixs the chemicals wrong. Idk I think they overcharge any ways personally.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  7. Aug 16, 2013 at 8:07 AM
    02Duck

02Duck [OP] manuals make it better

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 4WD TRD Off Road 6MT
    TRD Exhaust, Mobtown bolt on sliders and aluminum tailgate reinforcement, Reverse lights changed to yellow turn signals, LED pods added for reverse, ADD W1 oil catch can, Total Chaos bed reinforcement, rear diff breather to taillight mod, 12" combo led bars behind lower grill wired to high beams, Toyota led bed light kit, 400 watt anytime mod, SSO slimeline front bumper.
    Update:
    I went to get my truck last night. Interesting thing the paperwork says "Customer says truck won't move forward / reverse". I couldn't believe it. We are talking about I went to get in it and the truck won't move from were they parked it after taking it thru their shitty car wash.

I hate other people washing my truck because I hate waterspots and I care about my paint. It takes me 6-8 hours to wax. Don't get me wrong I use it as a truck but I take care of it after.

The parts listed replaced on the paperwork say replaced misc brake parts. The person I talked to when I picked it up said it was one of the retention springs, which makes more sense to me. But it is very odd that a truck with 3300 miles goes in for an oil change and comes out not rolling.

Basically I am sure some jackass thought he should actually fuck with the brakes on basically a brand new truck and broke something. They are just to chickenshit to admit it.

I hate dealers - they freaking lie. They believe we don't know shit about our vehicles so they can get away with it.

I love my last truck and I hope I can love my new one, but damn Toyota do something about your shitty dealer support.

I'll just fix the damn rattle myself.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  8. Aug 16, 2013 at 8:25 AM
    SoCaltaco65

SoCaltaco65 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB 4x4 Offroad TRD
  9. Aug 16, 2013 at 8:32 AM
    Bennett707

Bennett707 Station707

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    No more taco life for me
    heisenberg... :spy:

10. Aug 16, 2013 at 8:38 AM
    coffeesnob

coffeesnob Well-Known Member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 access 4 cyl 2 wd
    i thought it was beside the himulator.

11. Aug 16, 2013 at 8:48 AM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    Why couldn't you believe it. That is what happened IAW your original post.

I sincerely doubt that someone took it upon themselves to fuck with your brakes. Why would they do that during a routine 5K service. It makes no sense. You were just involved in an unfortunate coincidence. It isn't like you were paying for the repairs. Shit happens.

They are not out to get you. Really.

12. Aug 16, 2013 at 8:50 AM
    taco2010trd

taco2010trd Cyber Bully

Member:
    Tampa, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2010 Silver TRD OR DCSB
    Don't forget to inspect and adjust the flux capacitor!

13. Aug 16, 2013 at 8:55 AM
    TailDrag

TailDrag Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pretty sure they are, and always will be, even if they aren't and never have been.

All the while no mention of dealer support from the customer end, they fixed the issue and your response is they're fucking liars and Toyota sucks because a dealer sucks.

Want support? Try supporting. Funny how the shitty dealer threads always have pricks with truck trouble. Real coincidence. Truck "broke down" at the dealer? Sounds pretty lucky, it'd be a lot worse if you had a real break down in the middle of nowhere, not pulling out of the parking lot and dragging a tire at a Toyota service center.

You rolled to the dealership in a brand new truck, pretty sure they would rather get the job done quickly and send you on your way so they can actually make money doing someone else's repair. Or you're completely correct, they broke something on your truck intentionally, so they can fix it for free under warranty. SCAMMERS OUT TO GET MONEY.

14. Aug 16, 2013 at 9:02 AM
    Tacoyota

Tacoyota senile member

Member:
    North of Cali, South of Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 4wd
    4.56 gears, rear trutrac,DT header, 235/85r16 Duratracs, 2nd filter pulled, inter.wipers, Cruise control, Factory alum. whls/winter tires(2nd set), Afe pro Dry-S , Dumbo eared flaps cut down.
    I had something similar happen to me on a Ford Bronco I had. The dealer had an appreciation day, some free inspections and such. I was highly suspicious.
    During the "event" they were inspecting the rear axle area and something came up. 2 hours later they had it all fixed..... "nothing really".
    I still wonder what really happened to motivate a dealer to throw a small party after the sales and buy us food. I wasn't the only one with a truck in the shop too.

I agree that the dealer likely didn't do anything on purpose, but you have to wonder what kind of crew they a are running.

On a van (at work), they have the parking brake on the front end of the drive shaft, basically a brake set. The shop fixed it and I was heading back, a rattle. Before I could get there the brake locked up the shaft and the 16000 lb van slid sideways blocking 2 lanes. Glad I picked a low use road.

15. Aug 16, 2013 at 9:54 AM
    02Duck

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Exhaust, Mobtown bolt on sliders and aluminum tailgate reinforcement, Reverse lights changed to yellow turn signals, LED pods added for reverse, ADD W1 oil catch can, Total Chaos bed reinforcement, rear diff breather to taillight mod, 12" combo led bars behind lower grill wired to high beams, Toyota led bed light kit, 400 watt anytime mod, SSO slimeline front bumper.

I'm not saying the broke it on purpose. I am saying they broke it and don't have the balls to just admit it. I would have no problem with that shit does happen just own up to your mistake.

16. Aug 16, 2013 at 10:01 AM
    02Duck

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I would love to support the dealer. But I am supposed to trust someone that doesn't tell me the truth? That makes no sense. You are right that at least it was still in the exact spot the guy who washed it left.

Are you saying I am trying to get money? I don't ever want to go to the fucking dealer. I would much rather order the damn truck online know what it costs, pick it up when it comes in, and be done for good. But I have a drivetrain noise I wanted them to check out. Which the master mechanic said he heard. But later a second guy noted on the paperwork he couldn't hear. Does that make any sense?

I am not trying to get anything free. I just want my truck to work like it should and I will take care of the maintenance. Is it too much to ask for people to do the things they say they are going to do?

17. Aug 16, 2013 at 10:04 AM
    TailDrag

Member:
    No I was saying the dealership made no money off your repair. It was an accident. They owned up to it by repairing it for free.

18. Aug 16, 2013 at 10:05 AM
    TailDrag

Member:
    Is the noise fixed?

19. Aug 16, 2013 at 10:18 AM
    85GT 79FJ40

85GT 79FJ40 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    19 TRD Sport DCSB 6M - 2017 Honda Africa Twin
    So the truck happened to break at the dealer and they are screwing you... Probably just put the e-brake on too tight and a spring popped off. It happens, as do many other things in life. Fortunately your truck is new and they fixed it for nothing AND gave you a loaner. Just like they should have. Man you got hosed...

20. Aug 16, 2013 at 4:58 PM
    Yotabilly

Yotabilly Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Bluegrass
    Vehicle:
    2013 4cyl,5spd.4x4 Reg Cab
    UWS low profile toolbox, tint, rainguards, color matched grill surround 265/75r16 Goodyear Duratracs Ultra-Guage XB fogs, Weathertech Floor Liners, OME 884s, 2"AAL, Bilstein 5100s, FJ Trail Team wheels, Matt123 skid plate, 30" light bar, Rigid Duallys, Bed extender
    Ha Ha
    Well that does happen, but it's rare. I probably replace two or three or four a year even though we're not responsible for them. We take off every antennae unless the base is corroded in which case the customer is notified of the possibilities, if it's an automatic up antennae(rarer everyday) we make sure the radio is off. If it won't go down the car is pulled aside and the customer is notified, ( you'd be surprised how many people say wash it anyway after I tell them it's almost certain it'll break). Still, there are a few that slip through the cracks, in which case I tell them to get one, bring me the receipt and I'll reimburse( and usually give a couple free washes) unless I've never seen them before and they're throwing a temper tantrum, threatening and making demands before even given the chance to reply.
    Even if we didn't take all those precautions we still wouldn't break that many. I've never taken mine off and I've washed two vehicles pretty much every week for the last seven years.
    :rolleyes:

Products Discussed in

To Top