Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Help Repainting Weld-On Sliders?

Old 03-04-2009, 03:25 PM   #1
Seniore Marcos
Snyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant future
Snyperx's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Snyperx Send a message via Yahoo to Snyperx Send a message via Skype™ to Snyperx
Question Help Repainting Weld-On Sliders?

Well I had originally decided to get bolt-on sliders, but ended up going with weld-on because I did not feel comfortable drilling holes in the frame. In any case my sliders are looking a bit rough and I was trying to find out what some of the TW members that have weld-on sliders have done. Most of the rust is forming on the slider supports that are exposed to debris from the tires when driving. This is where the paint has slowly been blasted away from driving. Any help is appreciated.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:39 PM   #2
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
buy a can of krylon or rustoleum in black. Sand off existing rust/rough spots and repaint.

If you really wanted to get into it, you can look into having someone line-x them..Not sure if they would do it on the truck thou.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:49 PM   #3
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
get you a good hard bristled wire brush, and brush off all the rough stuff/rust from those areas. get some primer(i used rustoleum) and primer the areas, then go over that with some rustoleum paint. it will hold up fairly decent. retouching them is easy with a spray can.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:49 PM   #4
Seniore Marcos
Snyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant future
Snyperx's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Snyperx Send a message via Yahoo to Snyperx Send a message via Skype™ to Snyperx
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildjerseyfirefighter View Post
If you really wanted to get into it, you can look into having someone line-x them..Not sure if they would do it on the truck thou.
I checked into this already. They can not Line-X them on truck. I have also looked at doing Por-15, but that would require stripping down both sliders down to bare metal. Not sure I would want to tackle that with them on the truck.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:52 PM   #5
JTech is a splendid one to beholdJTech is a splendid one to beholdJTech is a splendid one to beholdJTech is a splendid one to beholdJTech is a splendid one to beholdJTech is a splendid one to beholdJTech is a splendid one to behold

JTech's Tacoma Gallery
You could try kbs coatings. I used it on my rear diff cover on my previous truck, and on my fiance's jeep and have never had a problem. http://www.kbs-coatings.com/

it is a rust converter that bonds to the metal. and i don't think you have to remove all the old paint.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:53 PM   #6
Banned
Lentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyperx View Post
I checked into this already. They can not Line-X them on truck. I have also looked at doing Por-15, but that would require stripping down both sliders down to bare metal. Not sure I would want to tackle that with them on the truck.
Yeah good idea.... You dont know what could happen
Old 03-04-2009, 04:59 PM   #8
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunesDoesTRD View Post
If you want the Line-X look- check out Herculiner- Same type of material- Comes in a can-Get it at Autozone

(And who ever told you that they can't do it on the truck is full of shit- They cover the TRUCK BED with the stuff....they can't do some metal bars????)
yep....herculiner is a good idea too. matter of fact..................im gonna be herculining the tops of mine when it warms up a bit.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:01 PM   #9
Seniore Marcos
Snyperx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTech View Post
You could try kbs coatings. I used it on my rear diff cover on my previous truck, and on my fiance's jeep and have never had a problem. http://www.kbs-coatings.com/

it is a rust converter that bonds to the metal. and i don't think you have to remove all the old paint.
I am liking this. Cheaper than Por-15. If I did go this route I was thinking I might be able to take my truck somewhere and get the sliders sand blasted. I have no idea what that would cost though.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:07 PM   #10
Banned
Lentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
I heard sand blasting is a lot of money to do
Old 03-04-2009, 05:17 PM   #11
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyperx View Post
I am liking this. Cheaper than Por-15. If I did go this route I was thinking I might be able to take my truck somewhere and get the sliders sand blasted. I have no idea what that would cost though.
I wouldn't want to sandblast on the truck- Too much risk of a slip or miss or random over spray of sand.

Wire brush and some elbow grease with a good cleaning with thinner or alcohol or whatever oughta get it done.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:22 PM   #12
JTech is a splendid one to beholdJTech is a splendid one to beholdJTech is a splendid one to beholdJTech is a splendid one to beholdJTech is a splendid one to beholdJTech is a splendid one to beholdJTech is a splendid one to behold

JTech's Tacoma Gallery
if you get the KBS sample kit it comes with a really nice cleaner, then all you have to do is a little wire brushing/sanding and you should be good to go. Make sure to not let the coating get on your skin. I got a drop on my forehead and it stayed for 2 weeks.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:08 PM   #13
Seniore Marcos
Snyperx's Tacoma Gallery
When I did the initial painting of the sliders I prepped the hell out of the metal. Most of the sliders still look good. I really don;t want to paint over the paint that is already in place out of fear that whatever I try to use to recoat the sliders ends up no adhering correctly. I would rather spend a little bit to get the sliders back to bare metal. I tried wire brushing a small area that still had paint and the wire brush didn't make a dent in the paint. So I think if I try and strip them down by hand is going to take a bit more then elbow grease and a good brush.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:01 AM   #14
Seniore Marcos
Snyperx's Tacoma Gallery
Not to resurrect an old thread, but I am looking at finally getting around to refinishing my sliders. I will say my sliders look awful right now. I have tons of rusty metal showing on the webbing bars as well as other areas on the sliders. I am hoping to just sand the rust down the best I can and just coat with some Rust-o-leum industrial spray paint. I may try and coat the rusted areas first with a rust converter of some kind. I also looked at a product called Chassis Saver by Magnet Paint. Apparently this stuff is used by road maintenance fleets as well by people who restore cars. I guess it is a rust preventer/sealer that is all in one. It's flexible so it doesn't chip or peel. It also is gas, acid, salt resistant. The only thing is the stuff is like $40 a quart. I found it at the local auto body supply store.

http://www.magnetpaints.com/underbody.asp