1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Driving Through Water

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by dolfin69, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Aug 19, 2013 at 3:52 PM
    dolfin69

dolfin69 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5
    I had a Tundra that ended up with problems in the power train. I was told that one possibility is that water got into one of the components through holes that exist somewhere. So I want to avoid similar problems with my 2013 Tacoma.

My first question - Is it okay to run through fresh water that comes up to the bottom of the door?

I live on the Outer Banks of NC. There is frequently ocean and sound over wash on the roads. I know enough to avoid running through that if I can avoid it. Besides rinsing off the salt water as soon as possible, is there any other basic steps that will help to prevent long term issues due to salt water exposure on vehicle components?

I don't know jack about vehicle maintenance. I did manage to get 270,000 miles out of my 2001 tundra with general service and Mobile 1.

thanks for the help!!

2. Aug 19, 2013 at 3:56 PM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    Might be hard to avoid where you live but just stay away from water that deep if at all possible. I'd say rinse off the salt water ASAP and dont let it sit there for days on end.

3. Aug 19, 2013 at 4:10 PM
    MGMTacolover55

MGMTacolover55 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orygun
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM Taco TRD Off Road
    floor Mats
    You should never drive through water without doing relocation of the rear diff breather and the ones beavis listed! You' should change your rear diff fluids as well asap

4. Aug 19, 2013 at 4:28 PM
    jw1983

jw1983 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    13' Tacoma Access 4x4 OR
    Why would he change the diff fluids? He has a 13'?

5. Aug 19, 2013 at 4:37 PM
    Canazes9

Canazes9 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    '07 Dbl Cab TRD Sport / '12 Dbl Cab Offroad
    The rear diff doesn't have a breather, it has a 1-way valve. If the rear diff is heated from driving and you drive through cold water it drops the temperature suddenly and causes the pressure in the diff to drop. The 1-way valve prevents it from sucking in and there's a tendency to suck liquid in through the seals. Water does NOT have to be higher than the top of the diff for this to happen.

David

6. Aug 19, 2013 at 4:38 PM
    jw1983

jw1983 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    13' Tacoma Access 4x4 OR
    I didn't know that. I just learned something new. Thanks!

7. Aug 20, 2013 at 12:48 AM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    Also Grease your Jerk Fittings during oil changes if you run through a lot of water.

8. Aug 20, 2013 at 1:19 AM
    robssol

robssol If it ain't broke, leave it the eff alone!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    S. Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma, TRD Sport, SR5, 4X4, AC
    Frame 2.0, Fog lights anytime, Seatbelt reminder delete, Secondary air filter delete, LED bed lights, Running boards, 2017 Rims, Devil Horns by Andres, Ultra gauge, Cup holder/consol/glove compartment lights, Interior LED conversion, Blue Sea aux. fuse panel, fuse panel mounting plate by Yotamac, ProEFX heated towing mirrors, LED engine bay lights, Redline Quicklift Elite hood struts, Wet Okole Heated Seat Covers, Pop and Lock tailgate theft deterrent mod 2.0, Plasti-dip rear bumper. Decal free visors, Washable cabin air filter, Overhead consol auto dimming override switch, BulletProof Fabricating Skid plate, 2lo module.
    I've been told never buy a vehicle that was kept within 5mi. of the ocean. I guess the logic being there is always salt water in the air. As far as driving through water. This last spring we had standing water and flooding that was stalling cars and the taco had no problems.

Products Discussed in

To Top