Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

TERRIBLE TURNING RADIUS AFTER 6" FABTECH INSTALL??!!

Old 08-29-2013, 01:45 PM   #21
ilya47 is on a distinguished road

ilya47's Tacoma Gallery
so what is the best way around my problem?

Old 08-29-2013, 01:55 PM   #22
Warputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet - 1st Inf. Div.
Name: Chris
Warputer's Tacoma Gallery
Grind your stops down until they look more like the pics I just put up.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:59 PM   #24
jstarks is on a distinguished road
jstarks's Tacoma Gallery
I have the same issue.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...reduction.html

I am going to take measurements from the stock spindle/steering stop and use that as a max. I'm going to trim 1/8" at a time, as long as I don't go to the max measurement, til it feels right.

I agree that it is terrible the way it is.

I'll try to get some pics of the process and end result but, it's gonna be a while because I'm out of state working.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:03 PM   #25
Warputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet - 1st Inf. Div.
Name: Chris
Warputer's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...tures-390.html. .....these guys might have some more input.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:59 PM   #26

ilya47's Tacoma Gallery
ok grinding seems to be the best solution
thank you ( jstarks, Warputer, MadToy ) for your inputs

i'll take some pics during the process of me grinding off the stoppers that way if someone else has a problem like mine, it'll be easier to fix

any specific grinders you'd recommend? i have some kind of grinder at the house......
torch.??

Old 08-29-2013, 03:30 PM   #27
tunernewb92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtunernewb92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtunernewb92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtunernewb92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtunernewb92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtunernewb92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtunernewb92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtunernewb92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtunernewb92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtunernewb92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtunernewb92 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
tunernewb92's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilya47 View Post
ok grinding seems to be the best solution
thank you ( jstarks, Warputer, MadToy ) for your inputs

i'll take some pics during the process of me grinding off the stoppers that way if someone else has a problem like mine, it'll be easier to fix

any specific grinders you'd recommend? i have some kind of grinder at the house......
torch.??

Its going to take forever to grind those down just FYI. I only use Dewalts, but they are really expensive. IDK. No matter what you use it will take awhile, just find a really good grind disk and go to town. I'd put a board inbetween the CV boot and where you are grinding to keep sparks from catching it on fire (seen it).

Also I know it seems pussy, but wear safety glasses. I had a disc explode on me and came within a half inch of loosing sight in one eye forever.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:40 PM   #28
AaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Aaron
AaronArf's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thank you all for your recommendations.
The steering is really as bad as I'm describing.
Its almost 2,000 miles since I got the lift;
I did get used to it somewhat but I would really like to hear from someone that possibly ran into this problem and has a fix. I would prefer NOT to trim(cut) the turning stops but if that's really the only way then that's what I'll have to do.

Mine looks exactly the same, just took these pics for you. Can take measurements if needed to compare to the pro comp guys. Before grinding I'd make sure nothing else is going to bind. Has to be a reason they designed it like this.

I also recommend ditching the sway bar, much better ride without IMO.

Edit: I'm at ~2.5"from the stop to the LCA stop at full lock, opposite side metal to metal. Any more and it looks like the tie rod end will begin to bind??
Attached Thumbnails
TERRIBLE TURNING RADIUS AFTER 6" FABTECH INSTALL??!!-img_20130829_195509_174.jpg  
Old 08-29-2013, 05:56 PM   #29

ilya47's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronArf View Post

Mine looks exactly the same, just took these pics for you. Can take measurements if needed to compare to the pro comp guys. Before grinding I'd make sure nothing else is going to bind. Has to be a reason they designed it like this.

Edit: I'm at ~2.5"from the stop to the LCA stop at full lock, opposite side metal to metal. Any more and it looks like the tie rod end will begin to bind??
smart thinking.. thanks for uploading pics of your truck really helpful....
your stoppers are definitely shorter
i'll look at mine and make sure before i grind the stoppers that i grind in reason so like how you said, "Has to be a reason they designed it like this." so i dont over grid
Old 08-29-2013, 05:59 PM   #30
Leoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Leo
Leoffensive's Tacoma Gallery
lol drop bracket
Old 08-29-2013, 06:22 PM   #31
jstarks is on a distinguished road
jstarks's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
i'll look at mine and make sure before i grind the stoppers that i grind in reason so like how you said, "Has to be a reason they designed it like this." so i dont over grid
Also from looking at this picture:

It looks like your ABS line is just hanging loose, instead of being routed in the brackets that came with the kit. Not related to the turning issue but, definitely needs to be looked at.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:25 PM   #32

ilya47's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

which sway bar were you talking about? this one?(look at pics)

Old 08-29-2013, 06:32 PM   #33

ilya47's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstarks View Post
Also from looking at this picture:

It looks like your ABS line is just hanging loose, instead of being routed in the brackets that came with the kit. Not related to the turning issue but, definitely needs to be looked at.
definitely i'll look at that, saw it once i got the lift never got a chance to work on that.... need to though
Old 08-30-2013, 06:25 AM   #34
AaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Quote:
Not a problem let me know if you need any more pictures or measurements...is it a difference in the casting of the fabtech spindle/knuckle or the LCA?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoffensive View Post
lol drop bracket
Thanks for contributing, prerunner.

Quote:
which sway bar were you talking about? this one?(look at pics)

Yes, that's the sway bar, will be 4 bolts on the center drop bracket and one per side on the spindle. You can always put it back on but most like the ride /added suspension flex without. Plus with the bumper on there it looks out of place dangling
Old 08-30-2013, 09:15 AM   #35
Leoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Not a problem let me know if you need any more pictures or measurements...is it a difference in the casting of the fabtech spindle/knuckle or the LCA?

Thanks for contributing, prerunner.

Yes, that's the sway bar, will be 4 bolts on the center drop bracket and one per side on the spindle. You can always put it back on but most like the ride /added suspension flex without. Plus with the bumper on there it looks out of place dangling
Lol must have struck a nerve.

Didn't take the time to read but did anyone call fabtech to inquire why their product reduces turning radius?
Old 08-30-2013, 02:15 PM   #36

Navy:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoffensive View Post
Lol must have struck a nerve.

Didn't take the time to read but did anyone call fabtech to inquire why their product reduces turning radius?
What's the point of posting in a thread if you've got nothing to contribute and didn't take the time to read the thread... guess your just trying to get your post count up

FABTECH claims this kit is designed with 20% less turning radius to prevent the tire from hitting the frame with 35s according to the other thread referenced within this one.
Old 08-30-2013, 02:37 PM   #37
Oregon Edition
RAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
RAPR's Tacoma Gallery
I'm good. I can't tell turning radius from before lift till now with lift and don't care.

I trimmed a little with 35's but I don't expect my truck to make U-turns so I haven't really cared in the 8 years i've owned her.
Now you got me wondering.....i'll play in the parking lot before I go home.

plus.....Can't do u-turns in Oregon

I have a little "R" on my shifter so I use that.
Old 08-30-2013, 03:13 PM   #38

Quote:
What's the point of posting in a thread if you've got nothing to contribute and didn't take the time to read the thread... guess your just trying to get your post count up

FABTECH claims this kit is designed with 20% less turning radius to prevent the tire from hitting the frame with 35s according to the other thread referenced within this one.

Boredem on the internets.

I had a procomp lift on my suburban and had similar issues
Old 08-30-2013, 04:06 PM   #39

Navy:
Is it just me or is the OPs sway bar upside down ?
Old 08-30-2013, 04:18 PM   #40
Oregon Edition
RAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
RAPR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Is it just me or is the OPs sway bar upside down ?
Aaron my buddy...the answer is YES.

Les Schwabs (dipshits of all dipshits) did my buddies the same. I told him he can snowplow my driveway......took him a week to figure out my joke.