Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

TERRIBLE TURNING RADIUS AFTER 6" FABTECH INSTALL??!!

Old 08-21-2013, 11:52 PM   #1
ilya47 is on a distinguished road

ilya47's Tacoma Gallery
TERRIBLE TURNING RADIUS AFTER 6" FABTECH INSTALL??!!

2007 Toyota Tacoma 6" Fabtech Lift

so before installing a 6” Fabtech lift kit from Les Schwab, I could make a u-turn in the middle of the street(using the same wheels and tires I have on now), now not only can I NOT make a u-turn anymore, I can’t even drive through a drive-thru at a fast food place!! I literally have to reverse then put it in drive in order to make the turn

I get that I will lose my turning radius after such a lift but I didn’t realize it’d be that bad.

I do see what appears to be “turning stoppers” that are one piece that’s attached to the lower control arms. Looks to me that, that could be the main issue.
Any way to fix it without a torch chopping things off?

Any help greatly appreciated, thanks in advance

Old 08-22-2013, 12:08 AM   #2

ilya47's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilya47 View Post
2007 Toyota Tacoma 6" Fabtech Lift

so before installing a 6” Fabtech lift kit from Les Schwab, I could make a u-turn in the middle of the street(using the same wheels and tires I have on now), now not only can I NOT make a u-turn anymore, I can’t even drive through a drive-thru at a fast food place!! I literally have to reverse then put it in drive in order to make the turn

I get that I will lose my turning radius after such a lift but I didn’t realize it’d be that bad.

I do see what appears to be “turning stoppers” that are one piece that’s attached to the lower control arms. Looks to me that, that could be the main issue.
Any way to fix it without a torch chopping things off?

Any help greatly appreciated, thanks in advance

i looked on every forum and every website and cant seem to find anything for a FIX
Old 08-22-2013, 06:15 AM   #3
Instagram: stormtrooptaco
HighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud of

Name: Hank
HighTQCummins's Tacoma Gallery
1st off, truck looks really good w/ 6" lift.

are you getting a lot of rub? or is it that the wheel is cut all the way (as much as before) and its just not turning as tight as it once did?
Old 08-22-2013, 08:31 AM   #4
MadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Nick
MadToy's Tacoma Gallery
Check the angle of your tie rods with that lift. There are probably quite a few threads turned out at the end of the tie rod end, due to the increased angle. The greater angle would reduce turn radius I would think. Just a guess.
Old 08-25-2013, 12:59 AM   #5

ilya47's Tacoma Gallery
sorry for such a late reply working long hours.
im not getting a rubbing when turning, instead when i turn i cant turn enough(something stopping it from turning anymore), seems to me that i could turn more if there wasnt something stopping it.
les schwab said that they did not adjust or change anything on the turning of the truck.
i uploaded 2 pictures the part that i circled seems to me like it needs to be trimmed down... didn't want to cut something off that couldnt be reattached later

[The red line shows where my original part was size wise. The piece thats circled(dont know the name for it) is about 1.5" inches longer than what the stock one came with from the Toyota factory.]
[When i took the pictures the truck was parked straight with the wheels parked straight]

let me know if you want me to upload anymore pictures of the lift to better solve my problem.
thank you for your help

Old 08-25-2013, 01:02 AM   #6
MGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MGMTacolover55's Tacoma Gallery
I think you might need to trim that and get new tie rod ends
Old 08-25-2013, 01:06 AM   #7
Warputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet - 1st Inf. Div.
Name: Chris
Warputer's Tacoma Gallery
^^Wow! I have the Pro Comp version 6" and the turn stops are way smaller than those. My turning radius did decrease but nothing like you are describing.
Old 08-25-2013, 01:16 AM   #8

ilya47's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMTacolover55 View Post
I think you might need to trim that and get new tie rod ends
trimming is what i thought id have to do either way
about the tie rod ends; what do you mean by "get new tie rod ends"?

Old 08-25-2013, 06:00 AM   #9
AaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Aaron
AaronArf's Tacoma Gallery
You do not need new tie rod ends, the FABTECH kit comes with upgraded ends.

As with any lift, and bigger tires your turning radius will suffer. You get used to it... sometimes I go on the curb doing uturns.
Old 08-25-2013, 12:29 PM   #10

ilya47's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronArf View Post
You do not need new tie rod ends, the FABTECH kit comes with upgraded ends.

As with any lift, and bigger tires your turning radius will suffer. You get used to it... sometimes I go on the curb doing uturns.
I get that id loose the turning radius after the lift, do you know of any kind of fix that could help improve the turning radius, just a little not much otherwise its just ridiculous

Old 08-25-2013, 12:32 PM   #11
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Truck looks good . Hopefully you can get it figured out .
Old 08-25-2013, 04:49 PM   #12
AaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Aaron
AaronArf's Tacoma Gallery
I just checked my distance on the steering stop, looks exactly like yours. My turning radius sucks but it really isn't that bad. Could it be your driving style ? Then again my lift has been installed for 23k miles so maybe I'm just used to it.
Old 08-25-2013, 05:06 PM   #14
FreakShow333
Nutzo333 is on a distinguished road

Name: Cory
Nutzo333's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Nutzo333
I have an 06 Tacoma and my turning radious is fine. No problem with any dog leg drive through. I will have to take a look and compare your pics to my truck and see if I can find anything different.
Old 08-25-2013, 05:14 PM   #15
Japanese
mudyota is on a distinguished road

mudyota's Tacoma Gallery
Its definitely your turning stops...looks like they need to be trimmed!

I have the Procomp 6" and your supposed to weld on steering stops but I didn't want to go that route because it hurt my turning radius as well

Also you might want to look into the inner tire rubbing the sway bar and make sure your tie rod ends are flipped

Edit: after looking at your tie rod ends they are correct
Old 08-26-2013, 08:50 AM   #16

ilya47's Tacoma Gallery
Thank you all for your recommendations.
The steering is really as bad as I'm describing.
Its almost 2,000 miles since I got the lift;
I did get used to it somewhat but I would really like to hear from someone that possibly ran into this problem and has a fix. I would prefer NOT to trim(cut) the turning stops but if that's really the only way then that's what I'll have to do.

Old 08-26-2013, 08:56 AM   #17
tn2012taco is on a distinguished road

Name: Nathan
tn2012taco's Tacoma Gallery
Can you turn it to full lock and send a picture? I think then you'd really know what was stopping you.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:03 AM   #18

ilya47's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tn2012taco View Post
Can you turn it to full lock and send a picture? I think then you'd really know what was stopping you.
Let me snap a few pics when I turn the wheels all the way one or the other way.
I'll upload them and add it to this post.

Old 08-29-2013, 12:58 AM   #19

ilya47's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tn2012taco View Post
im on vacation at the beach, couldnt reply sooner. i apologize

i uploaded before and after pictures, turning the wheels to a full lock passenger then driver side.(i turned OUT the wheels all the way 1st, then turned them all the way IN 2nd)
what you'll see is what seems to be stopping the truck from turning any more then what it could before.

what do you guys think>? any way to fix?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old 08-29-2013, 03:21 AM   #20
Warputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet - 1st Inf. Div.
Name: Chris
Warputer's Tacoma Gallery
Your stops seem way too big.....here are mine, from the Pro Comp kit.....