1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Axle clunk

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 1sttoywv, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Aug 22, 2013 at 5:07 PM
    1sttoywv

1sttoywv [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    morgantown wv
    Vehicle:
    13' TRD Offroad (Pyrite Mica)
    Sorry if this the wrong section.

I'm new to toyota's as I bought my 1st Tacoma Saturday. 2012 DCSB TRD sport 6 speed M with 13,000 miles. When shifting there's a clunk in the axle during shifts. Is this normal for toyota's?

2. Aug 22, 2013 at 5:36 PM
    bldegle2

bldegle2 OldPhart

Member:
    San Francisco, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prerunner TRD AccessCab
    New Navigation DVD/CD/TV/AV/Bluetooth Stereo and seat mod spacers, 1" hubcentric spacers, seat heaters....
    Type in axle clunk in the search box, you will be busy for awhile reading.. could be a number of things..

how many miles on truck and was it treated kindly before you got it?

3. Aug 24, 2013 at 8:30 AM
    bldegle2

bldegle2 OldPhart

Member:
    San Francisco, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prerunner TRD AccessCab
    New Navigation DVD/CD/TV/AV/Bluetooth Stereo and seat mod spacers, 1" hubcentric spacers, seat heaters....
    I saw your other posts regarding the spongy suspension, sounds like this Taco was rode real hard, despite the fairly low miles..

The clunk could be as simple as slight axle wrap, or it could be something that will need immediate attention, center support bearing, universal joints, front axles, among other things....

If you can't identify it yourself, maybe a TW member close by you can help, I am in SouthWest Virginia, some distance away...

4. Aug 24, 2013 at 9:48 AM
    1sttoywv

Member:
    morgantown wv
    Vehicle:
    Thanks I have an appointment this coming week with the dealership service dept to check the suspension and the clung. I'll repost once I get a report from them.

5. Aug 25, 2013 at 3:19 PM
    DJB1

DJB1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SLC, UT
    Vehicle:
    2003 Regular Cab 4X4 5MT
    Try one of the cheap axle wrap mods before the dealership gets the chance to ream your wallet in its cornhole.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st-gen-tacomas/108316-goodbye-axle-wrap-mod.html

I was getting a clunk noise when I shifted from 1st to 2nd sometimes. I was also getting it when I hit a really bumpy section of pavement, along with some leaf spring clatter. It was driving me crazy because my truck has low miles. I'd been under it re-torquing suspension hardware a couple times and couldn't find anything loose.

Finally I found this thread, went to Autozone and 1 hour later, I couldn't believe the difference. No more clunking when shifting and no more suspension noise on bumps. It makes all the gear changes quiet and smooth and makes the truck's handling more firm in a good way. I've gone fast over rough pavement on purpose to test this mod, and every time I've been pleased at how much more quiet and controlled the truck is. You can really feel how strong the Tacoma's chassis and drivetrain are when you correct the floppy, noisy leaf springs.

I have also noticed when I'm on the freeway that the wind doesn't jiggle my truck around nearly as much, it makes the transmission feel stronger and shifting gears is really smooth even when you're not trying to shift smooth. This mod just makes your Tacoma drive like a much more expensive vehicle. It's easy to do and I'm extremely happy with the results. Best cheap mod ever!

6. Aug 25, 2013 at 3:32 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    If your a 4X4 try greasing the driveline zerks. Also, make sure the rear leaf u-bolts are properly torqued.

7. Aug 25, 2013 at 3:38 PM
    landphil

landphil Fish are FOOD, not friends!

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    RIP 2006 Tacoma DCSB
    Tundra 5.7 mod
    This. And when he says properly torqued, I don't think he means the 37 ft-lbs spec from the service manual, rather the 80-85 ft-lbs that a rather large number of us consider to be the correct range. There a big thread on it if you really like reading.

8. Aug 26, 2013 at 9:14 AM
    1sttoywv

Member:
    morgantown wv
    Vehicle:
    Well after some thinking and talking to some people I've going to follow through with the Dealer's 30 day return policy. I'm returning the truck tonight and buying a new 2013 model. For a few grand more than I paid for the used truck it would be a no brainer just to upgrade and not have to worry about the suspension and the underlying problems that might have caused.

9. Aug 26, 2013 at 12:09 PM
    DJB1

DJB1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SLC, UT
    Vehicle:
    2003 Regular Cab 4X4 5MT
    Well then, congrats on your NEW new truck!

10. Aug 26, 2013 at 4:44 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    Might want to think about getting a automatic this time around... :eek:
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/273572-new-2013-tacoma-transmission-problems.html

Products Discussed in

To Top