1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How I got the TSB on my 2009

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Veccster, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Mar 5, 2009 at 7:36 AM
    Veccster

Veccster [OP] bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Pittsburgh - The City of Champions
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro
    Just to provide an update, I did get approved for the TSB rear leaf spring package. My dealer has the springs ordered and will install once they come in.

Here was my process:

-printed full TSB (it's 13 pages long but I only needed the first page)

-cross checked my leaf spring part numbers with the TSB part numbers (the #'s are on top of the top spring)

-call Toyota (800.331.4331) and report a "harsh ride when loaded with 500# or more". Tell them the truck could not handle the weight very well and even bottomed out on dips/bumps. Express this is a safety concern as the truck is difficult to handle when this happens (VERY IMPORTANT as companies fear safety issues). Tell them you frequently use the truck for it's intended purpose and haul loads. Be sure to make your point clearly but not get angry or 'childish'. IMO, there is no need to mention the TSB at this point. After giving you a case number, they will ask you to call your dealer.

-call local dealer and report a problem with the rear suspension. Report the harsh ride as you described it to Toyota. They will ask you to come in for them to verify there are not mechanical issues (broken/missing parts, etc). When you arrive for your appointment, bring the printed TSB and indicate your verification of the part numbers. You could go as far as having pictures of the part numbers and highlight them on the TSB so it's easy to see they match. If he wants it, leave the TSB with the dealer (my dealer did not want it).

-once the dealer verifies the truck is mechanically sound, they will report the issue to Toyota (who already has a case number for your VIN).

-cross your fingers and wait for the call!!!

At this point, your dealer will call to say you were either declined or approved. I was approved so I can't report beyone this. If I was declined, I had intended to get additional info from my dealer (who he spoke to, who the regional manager is and ask what he recommends). I would then follow up with a more FIRM call to Toyota. Let them know my frustration with their vehicle and ask for the name of a regional manager to report this to. Again, report safety as a concern! Get the name of EVERYONE you speak to. No one wants to be on record as the one that pissed you off. If you have their info, they will be cautious of this. Keep pressing Toyota. If you can't get it approved, it will make the issue bigger and they may add the 09's to the TSB sooner.

Also, 2009's with the TRD package have the updated shocks on the front and rear. The only part that needs updated is the leaf springs. It should be a 4 leaf pack (3 leaves and a helper spring). US vehicles are stock with a 3 leaf pack (2 leaves and a helper spring). They will not replace anything but this. If they do, you got lucky!
    -this is according to my dealer (for what that's worth).

Hope this helps some of you proud new truck owners! Once you have the new leaf springs, get those 5100's on the front to level it and crack a cold one while you sit back and stare at your beautiful truck :cheers:

2. Mar 5, 2009 at 7:39 AM
    Veccster

Veccster [OP] bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro
    ****Remember, the new leaf pack will stiffen the rear end and take away some of that cushion. If you never use your truck for anything over 200#'s, I wouldn't bother with the TSB. Enjoy the softer ride.

I haul dirt bikes, mulch, sand, stone, etc and need a more firm rear end (on me and my truck :eek:).

3. Mar 5, 2009 at 7:41 AM
    jasonh

jasonh tossed salad anyone?

Member:
    Dallas, TX.
    Vehicle:
    2007 Pre Runner SR5
    Billy 5100's
    very good strategy. reps coming your way bro.

4. Mar 5, 2009 at 7:44 AM
    gouge44

gouge44 $DO WORK$

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    FloRiDa
    Vehicle:
    08 prerunner TRDsport DoubleCab
    Tinted windows, toytec ultimate 3inch lift- front c/o rear aal, 18" black rockstar rims, 275/70/18 toyo opencountry mt's, BLUE dome light, 6000k H4 HID bixenon, kenwood kvt-514 headunit,black badges, satoshi grill :] sold it and now have a wrangler....
    thanks man that really is alot of help deff good to know about all of that

5. Mar 5, 2009 at 7:47 AM
    jasonh

jasonh tossed salad anyone?

Member:
    Dallas, TX.
    Vehicle:
    2007 Pre Runner SR5
    Billy 5100's
    this should be made a sticky. IMO

6. Mar 5, 2009 at 9:01 AM
    freesample

freesample Well-Known Member

Member:
    Newfoundland, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Sport LB
    Visors, Deflector, Husky Liners, too expsensive for good ones :(
    so with the tsb or me being in canada, i have the 4 leafs. does that mean i dont need aal to lift the truck a bit?

7. Mar 5, 2009 at 9:21 AM
    neontrail

neontrail ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2004 NISSAN XTERRA XE/SE
    De-badged, Tint 20%, Blue 48 LED dome-light, .......
    great post! Link added to my sig :)

8. Mar 5, 2009 at 9:42 AM
    rlanicek

rlanicek Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Dallas, TX
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma PreRunner SR5
    Good advice. Been meaning to do it with the 2007 I bought recently. Just called Toyota and reported the problem, then called Toyota of Dallas. I have an appointment Monday morning.

Thanks!

9. Mar 5, 2009 at 5:18 PM
    Buzzoff

Buzzoff Don't go ninja'in nobody don't need ninja'in

Member:
    The Nickel/5th Ward
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma DC TRD Speedway Blue
    Blacked out windows, 5100's@1.75", KMC XD Hoss795 16x8
    Got mine done yesterday at GULLO Toyota in Conroe, TX. I called the 1-800# got a case# and Gullo called me to schedule an appointment. I took it in and they said "No prob" but it may take 2 days to get the parts in. ! day later they called me back and asked when I could bring it in!!!!

Real nice folks and got it done pretty fast!!! Trying to figure out now if I should get the 5100's in the front to level out the rake.

10. Mar 5, 2009 at 5:24 PM
    Veccster

Veccster [OP] bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro
    Got any pictures of the current rake - post TSB?
    The 5100's get a pretty good review around here. Even Toytec recommended them to me.

I should also plug my dealer since they took care of me:
    I bought the truck and got the TSB taken care of at Toyota of Greensburg, PA - Home of the lifetime power train warranty! Great dealership to work with.
    http://greensburgtoyota.com/

11. Mar 5, 2009 at 6:09 PM
    bajamoon

bajamoon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    STEVE
    Whittier
    I called toyota yesterday and did the same speach as you and they gave the case # and said my local dealer will call. they called a hour ago and said 09's were not covered under the tsb but be patient because alot of people have been complaining. waiting for toyota to call back to give them a piece of my mind, it's not that big of a deal at the moment but when i take the truck down to mexico with the trailer full of dirt bikes i will be pissed.

12. Mar 5, 2009 at 6:11 PM
    Buzzoff

Buzzoff Don't go ninja'in nobody don't need ninja'in

Member:
    The Nickel/5th Ward
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma DC TRD Speedway Blue
    Blacked out windows, 5100's@1.75", KMC XD Hoss795 16x8
    No...I meant to take pics but I work night shift and I took it in at 8AM and I was ready for some ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ's.

The height difference is very noticeable. Even my wife noticed it.

13. Mar 6, 2009 at 7:45 AM
    DontPanic

DontPanic Well-Known Member

Member:
    VA
    It was pretty painless for me. Didn't even need to call Toyota.
    I printed the TSB, dropped by the dealership who sent a tech out to verify our truck had the "small springs" (their description not mine). They mentioned they would have to get their factory rep to approve the work as it was an 09... before I got home from the dealer my cell had rung to let me know the parts were on order.
    The install and alignment took less than two hours including a courtesy car wash.
    Thankfully only netted just under an inch of lift at the rear - not even worth leveling as it tended to ride a bit tail heavy with even minimal stuff in the back.
    Haven't had a chance to tow with the new packs yet but I did bring home 15 bags of topsoil and the improvement is remarkable.
    I was resigned to sacrifice some comfort for needed utility.. I was pleasantly surprised that unladen the truck drives much better. The float over bumps is gone, axle wrap is improved, cornering is firmer and better controlled. On the whole the taco feels more agile and confident.
    I'm saddened and the tiniest bit insulted that Toyota spec'd the lighter springs for our market.

14. Mar 6, 2009 at 7:59 AM
    Veccster

Veccster [OP] bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro
    Sounds like you have a good dealership. You should plug them on here or in THIS THREAD.

It's the reason we are consumption heavy on oil in this country...American's drive big vehicles because they want to not because they need to. Those that WANT TO also want a soft and cushy ride. Those that NEED TO want to be able to use the truck for its intended purpose.

Unfortunately, more people WANT TO own a truck than NEED TO own a truck and they gave us weak suspension.

Apparently Canadians use their trucks more than we do because they were given the stronger suspension.

Everything about vehicle sales is regionalized. It's harder to find a 2wd truck in the north but its harder to find a 4wd truck in Florida. They do the same with colors - some parts of the country favor certain colors and are shipped more of that color.

15. Mar 6, 2009 at 8:55 AM
    DontPanic

DontPanic Well-Known Member

Member:
    VA
    Too true, why DO what you can OVERDO? has been our vehicular mantra for too long.

16. Mar 6, 2009 at 9:27 AM
    mjohnson927

mjohnson927 Newbie

Member:
    Pottsville, PA
    Vehicle:
    2009 RC, 2.7, manual, 4x4
    sorry, but I don't see link for TSB???

17. Mar 6, 2009 at 9:38 AM
    TacoCo

TacoCo Aspiring wrench monkey

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off-Road DC V6 Magnetic Gray
    Snugtop XV Shell, Yakima Rack, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed, Michelin AT2's, Partially Debadged, HID conversion, Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler, Rear leaf spring TSB, Foglights always on Mod, URD Short Throw Shifter, Toytec Coilovers on the way!
    I dropped mine off this morning, and so far, that's been my experience. They said they had a TSB leaf pack in stock, and that it shouldn't be a problem to replace them. I'm almost expecting them to find a reason not to because it's been way too easy.

18. Mar 6, 2009 at 9:47 AM
    rmb_crew

rmb_crew My other ride has 18,400HP!!!!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Jacksonville, FL 30.243103, -81.591007‎
    Vehicle:
    2010 F150 XLT SuperCrew 4X4
    Access larado tonneau, magnaflow exhaust
    I got mine down about 2 weeks ago. It was really easy just took it in and asked out it and they ordered the parts and got the go ahead from toyota and the regional service rep and that was it. really easy. And the back will be about 3 inchs higher right after they install them. Once it settles it will be about an inch and a half to 2 inchs. So 5100's would be great. I am thinking about doing the same and than doing another AAL in the back. Make the back alittle higher than the front to accomidate the weight better.

19. Mar 6, 2009 at 10:00 AM
    Veccster

Veccster [OP] bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro
    I am trying to decide on another AAL in the back or a 1" block for the extra height. I'm just afraid that the post TSB AAL will make the rear too stiff. I still want a comfortable ride.

I spoke to ToyTec and the AAL runs about $80 and adds an additional 1.5" of lift. Said it will make it stiffer but he hasn't had complaints that it's overly stiff.

Yup, 5100's are going upfront (possibly all the way around).

20. Mar 6, 2009 at 10:45 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    I've been turned down twice because of mileage BUT...My kid is needing a reliable car so I played sales pitch to our sales dude with " I might be more prone to come buy a car there if you would do the TSB on my truck that I bought there as a certified preowned that had no TSBs performed." It was already over 36k when I got it. Talked to the sales guy that we used for wife's RAV4 this time & he was miffed that TSBs weren't done as part of the certification. Soooo, he's waiting for an exception approval from a service mgr to see about gettin it done for me. Hoping this post won't jinx it ,lol. They oughta throw some shit my way since we did the overpriced new RAV4 & just paid outright for the 05 Tacoma couple of months ago & plan on scorin a used corolla for the kid. We'll see if it works out. Sure hope so because it sux the way it rides. If not I'll just go back to plan b which is the TSB AAL from toytec & timbrens. Already have the bilsteins so if they put new ones on then I'll have a set to sell off an 08 with about 10k on them.

Products Discussed in

To Top