1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hit while parked! Insurance questions.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by BioMed80, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Mar 5, 2009 at 9:32 AM
    BioMed80

BioMed80 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    09 Regular Cab
    3" ReadyLift Kit, 31x10.5x15 General Grabber AT2s, AFE Drop-In, Bull Bar, Hella 500FF, Secondary Filter Removed
    This morning I awoke to my car alarm. I look out the window and see a car had backed into my 2009 Taco, then she pulls off! I take some pics, there are 2 other witnesses, and the lady who hit me lives in my complex. I call the police, and she pulls back into her garage while I'm on the phone. She never tries to contact me or leave a note. Officer shows up, and we're able to track her down through the on-site maintenance folks (leasing office was closed this early). She says she was just getting ready to write a note when the officer calls her (this in an hour later). Officer doesn't want to press charges because she has insurance and we were able to find her. I file an on-line report (it was on private property) and a claim with her insurance. I call my insurance just to give them a heads-up. Question: anything I should know going into this? I've never had to deal with an insurance company before. Thanks.

I guess the plus side is the damage isn't too bad. Just a couple scuffs and scrapes on the rear bumper.

2. Mar 5, 2009 at 9:34 AM
    TacoCo

TacoCo Aspiring wrench monkey

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off-Road DC V6 Magnetic Gray
    Snugtop XV Shell, Yakima Rack, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed, Michelin AT2's, Partially Debadged, HID conversion, Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler, Rear leaf spring TSB, Foglights always on Mod, URD Short Throw Shifter, Toytec Coilovers on the way!
    Did you get a police report? People change their stories, so it's good to get things in writing from the police.

3. Mar 5, 2009 at 9:36 AM
    El Duderino 480

El Duderino 480 "The Dude"

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Oceanside, Ca
    Vehicle:
    Silver 08 PreRunner Sr5
    K&N 77 Series,Flowmaster Exhaust, OME N140's, OME 885's, Billy 5100's, Toytec AAL's
    wow i would probably kill her, but as long as you took pics and you have witnesses your good to go.. you need to move out of there and come to az!!

4. Mar 5, 2009 at 9:42 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    I would suggest giving the contact info of the witnesses to your insurance company.

In my state (PA), if you cause property damage and leave the scene of an accident it is a hit-and-run.

5. Mar 5, 2009 at 9:43 AM
    El Duderino 480

El Duderino 480 "The Dude"

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Oceanside, Ca
    Vehicle:
    Silver 08 PreRunner Sr5
    K&N 77 Series,Flowmaster Exhaust, OME N140's, OME 885's, Billy 5100's, Toytec AAL's
    that should be everywhere!! :mad:

6. Mar 5, 2009 at 9:43 AM
    Jester243

Jester243 all I wanted was a god dang picture of a hotdog...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    some of this, a little of that
    +1 on the police report. IF it is not in writing stories will change.

7. Mar 5, 2009 at 9:44 AM
    Phantom_X-SP

Phantom_X-SP Rude Boy |><|

Member:
    High Point, NC
    Vehicle:
    08 DC Black Sand Pearl X-SP
    A police report is required by the insurance agency...but since she has insurance, the report will be obtained by her agency (as long as the claim is filed through her agency). Since you have pics and witnesses you should be ok.

...and if she wasn't of the other gender...I would have given her one swift kick :D

8. Mar 5, 2009 at 9:48 AM
    BioMed80

BioMed80 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    09 Regular Cab
    3" ReadyLift Kit, 31x10.5x15 General Grabber AT2s, AFE Drop-In, Bull Bar, Hella 500FF, Secondary Filter Removed
    Technically, it is a hit-and-run. But, like I said, the officer didn't want to press charges (IE didn't want to do paperwork). So, no report filled out by the officer, but I did an online report (only one you can do when it's on private property). So, I have a case number at least. I'm hoping it'll be pretty clear cut, she hit a parked car for crying out loud.

9. Mar 5, 2009 at 9:50 AM
    06Bluez

06Bluez Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4
    Icon Coil-overs, TC UCA, with Bilstein 5150 and Icon 3 leaf pack. 17" Moto Metal 951 4.5" Backspacing wrapped in 285/70/17 BFG AT's. Demello front bumper and Avid offroad sliders.
    This has happened to me twice. You will be fine as long as you got her insurance info and a police report. The insurance company will do the rest. Also when you get it evaluated do it at the dealership and have them jack the repair costs up. Then ask the insurance company for a check made payable to you and MOD your truck!!! Ive done that twice just for minor scuffs and got back like $800 dollars and just buffed out the scuffs. :D:D:D

10. Mar 5, 2009 at 9:58 AM
    wawireguy

wawireguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Get that officers name and tell them you want a report done! Screw his lazy ass and make him do his job!

11. Mar 5, 2009 at 1:01 PM
    Munkey

Munkey Well-Known Member

Member:
    Paducah, KY
    Vehicle:
    2008 Radiant Red 4X4 Double Cab Sport
    OEM Tube Steps, Bed Extender, Pioneer Avic D3 with Bluetooth and XM Radio modules
    That should have been your decision, not his.

12. Mar 5, 2009 at 1:13 PM
    Hardcorehehaw

Hardcorehehaw 1 man wolf pack

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray PreRunner
    Debadged, 20" Liquid Metal Magmas, Yokohama Parada Spec x 285/50/20, Llumar clear bra, Fold-A-Cover G4, Weathertech liners, Wet Okole seat covers, JBS technologies keyless entry keypad.
    Insurance fraud for the win!!

13. Mar 5, 2009 at 3:14 PM
    neslerrah

neslerrah Taco lovin'

Member:
    First Name:
    Harrelsen
    Tucson
    Vehicle:
    5 lug BEAST!
    Secondary air filter removed, elbow mod, BFG T/A KO (31x10.5R15), 15" American Racing Mojaves, BHLM, Dome Light MOD (Blue), Pioneer headunit, Sockmonkey 'TACOMA' Decals, Readylift 5-lug SST, Rear Shocks - Bilstein TRD, Dynomax Super Turbo #17748, DDM Slim Ballast HID Kit H4 Hi/Lo -35W 6000K in headlights, Apexcone Raptor HID Kit H3 - 35W 6000K in Hella 500s, aFe CAI #51-10762, WeatherTech Floorliner, 200W Smart AC Inverter
    Sorry to hear the news.

You might have to take it to a small claims court if she denies what happen. Make sure the officer takes care of police report. Get yourself a copy. Hopefully insurance can take care of it.

Keep us posted.

14. Mar 5, 2009 at 4:26 PM
    surfsupl

surfsupl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    WestCoast
    Vehicle:
    I DONT CARE IF IT'S A RE-POST
    Rear Diff Breather~ 5100's ~Fog Light Anytime~Tint~TRD Seat Covers~Weather Tech's~Pioneer H.U.~Lift~Eibach Springs~LED's......blah...blah...blah
    :) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

15. Mar 5, 2009 at 5:22 PM
    MotoTacoma

MotoTacoma Adrenaline Addict

Member:
    Pencilveineeya
    Vehicle:
    14 Tundra TRD OR, 05 GX470
    tacoma sold 11/13/13 GX470 has 2” Dobinsons IMS w/JBA UCA, Baja Designs S1 ditch lights, more to come!
    "pressing charges" is simply writing out a citation, which doesn't take much effort. also there is no benefit to you if he choses to cite the driver, besides the satisfaction of knowing the driver received a citation. you will be compensated just the same by your insurance regardless of her receiving a citation or not.

police officers have a reputation to protect at court, no judge likes a police officer wasting their time.. depending on your state's laws, and the verbage in the section, which in PA reads, the driver involved in an accident with an UNattended vehicle shall notify police "without unnecessary delay", the police officer may not be able to prove in a court of law that the operator violated the section.

i would imagine the officer had to write some type of report, and give you an incident number. if he did, that is all you need. your insurance company does the rest, that's why you pay them. if you wish, you can obtain a copy of the crash report, but your insurance is responsible for getting the report, and getting the repair costs from the drivers insurance company.

double check on the report thing..

if the officer didn't document anything, which i hope is not the case, document everything you have, and if it is not taken care of, you will have to file a civil suit for the damages, which should not be hard to prove given the circumstances
    i hope this helps, and sorry to hear about your truck.

16. Mar 5, 2009 at 5:40 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    This is incorrect. A police report is not done (at least in most states) when the accident occurs on private property thus the insurance can/will not require one. It is then up to each insurance company to fight it out and determine who is at fault. I've been through this in two states (NJ and here) and it has been the same each time. Some idiot hit me on private property, cop comes out and won't do a report, just gives advice and makes sure nobody gets a beatdown.

The only other option, as mentioned above, is small claims court.

Best of luck.

17. Mar 5, 2009 at 5:41 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    in the state of south carolina...in lieu of a "report"

the responding officer will fill out a TR310 form and give each person involved a copy for insurance purposes

18. Mar 5, 2009 at 5:44 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    ^The cop handed them out to each of us and didn't fill out a thing. This was a state cop. We each filled them out just to make it easier to exchange info. But, the insurance companies doing business here in SC are well aware there is no police report on private property.

19. Mar 5, 2009 at 5:45 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    strange that he didnt fill it out...we usually fill them out for everyone just so no one gets screwed on the info etc

20. Mar 5, 2009 at 5:48 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    I've yet to see any cop fill one out. I was with my buddy when he was hit in a WalMart parking lot. Horry County came to that one and he did nothing. My wife was with a friend and the same thing happened but with a MB cop.

I don't know, I think it's wrong. I think there should be a report done period. There are police reports done on crimes that occur on private property so why not for an auto accident? Seems to me that would be best.

Products Discussed in

To Top