Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Rear Alignment at 41 Degrees Toe?

Old 08-25-2013, 10:28 AM   #1
Tacoma SD is on a distinguished road

Name: Cameron
Tacoma SD's Tacoma Gallery
Rear Alignment at 41 Degrees Toe?

I did some searching on the forums, but no luck with rear alignment issues. I believe its because no one usually has rear alignment problems.

My question - What are the traditional alignment specs for the rear tires? Because it is an axle Im wondering if it is only adjustable by re-adjusting the leaf springs and blocks?

My theory for my truck having 41 degrees of toe on the right rear is that the previous owner may have ran over something on the right side.

There is a door ding on the front passenger door and the alignment on the front right is a little off, but within the range. The rear must have hit or ran over something to throw the alignment and toe off?

Overall I dont believe it is a huge problem, but 41 seems like a high number to have for toe on any tire.

Any suggestions for re-aligning the rear to have better toe settings?

Old 08-25-2013, 10:40 AM   #2
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
I think you mean 0.41 deg, i.e. less than half a degree. Could be a slightly bent wheel, bent bearing flange on the axle housing, or bent driveshaft. Could also be a misdrilled hole in one of the leaf packs. No practical adjustment method. There's a reason solid axle + leaf springs setup has been shunned in passenger cars - it leads to imprecise wheel control.

The front toe can be adjusted to match the rear net "thrust angle". That's about it.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:48 AM   #3
85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future
Name: Ken
85GT 79FJ40's Tacoma Gallery
Nothing to worry about. If it was 41 degrees you wouldn't be driving it!
Old 08-25-2013, 01:36 PM   #4
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
amazing.
Old 08-25-2013, 01:48 PM   #5
TacoDeLaPlaya is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDeLaPlaya is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDeLaPlaya is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDeLaPlaya is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDeLaPlaya is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDeLaPlaya is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDeLaPlaya is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDeLaPlaya is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDeLaPlaya is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDeLaPlaya is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDeLaPlaya is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bobby
TacoDeLaPlaya's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah i was like... Who would even put it on the machine with the axle twisted halfway off.

Don't worry and you cant do anything anyway. You could rotate the wheel and retest a few times to see if its the wheel or the drivetrain if you want to diagnose

EDIT

I would assume there machine has .1-.2° of error. I dont think they adjusted an extra tenth of a degree onto the left side of your solid rear axle.

However i think this readout leads to a lot more questions than answers if you compare all the numbers i would have them recheck

left rear camber, right rear toe, front right caster, and camber should be close to - as possible i dont think positive camber is good on our tucks since the camber already gets more positive when the wheel is turned.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:57 AM   #6

Wow I am sorry for the lack of knowledge on my part. haha I didnt even think about the .41 vs 41 for some reason. Makes sense now that it isn't a huge offset. I cancelled out the wheel and tire because they have been rotated after the first alignment and the one I posted was the second one.

Thanks for not blowin me out of the water! I appreciate the feedback and info.

I'm guessing my misalignment is from something from the previous owner running into or over something. Ill check underneath to if there is anything obvious and get back to this post to update.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:24 AM   #7
10splaya22 is on a distinguished road

Name: Drew
10splaya22's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma SD View Post
Wow I am sorry for the lack of knowledge on my part. haha I didnt even think about the .41 vs 41 for some reason. Makes sense now that it isn't a huge offset. I cancelled out the wheel and tire because they have been rotated after the first alignment and the one I posted was the second one.

I'm guessing my misalignment is from something from the previous owner running into or over something. Ill check underneath to if there is anything obvious and get back to this post to update.
The difference will be so small you won't even notice it.

Here is 1 degree. 0.41 is less than half this angle.
Old 08-26-2013, 04:09 PM   #9
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
We set our race cars slightly towed in at the rear.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:09 PM   #10
Dirty Trucker
TacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hayden
TacoSupreem's Tacoma Gallery
.41 degree’s doesn’t necessarily mean .41 degree’s because i’ll be willing to bet the alignment machine wasn’t 100% accurate. They never are. If your truck is driving ok and the tires are wearing ok then your probably ok.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:15 PM   #11
TacoDeLaPlaya is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDeLaPlaya is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDeLaPlaya is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDeLaPlaya is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDeLaPlaya is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDeLaPlaya is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDeLaPlaya is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDeLaPlaya is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDeLaPlaya is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDeLaPlaya is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDeLaPlaya is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bobby
TacoDeLaPlaya's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma SD View Post

I think your tires will tell you if theres a real issue you cant feel while driving it. Just check them for uneven wear periodically. look around the tread. especially toward the inside of the tire. bend down if you have too.

Im from sd too glad to help you out
Old 08-27-2013, 08:44 AM   #12

That makes sense that the alignment is fairly off. I guess I glanced at the numbers and assumed they shouldn't be that high.

Ill keep an eye out for wear and rotate them. Thanks again for all the help guys!