1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Repair the salvage Taco or give it up??

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by AnamolyDetected, Aug 25, 2013.

1. Aug 25, 2013 at 10:40 AM
    AnamolyDetected

AnamolyDetected [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 Taco 4x2, 50k miles
    Passenger front accident..frame damage..needs bumper, fender, wheel, and suspension.
    Hello fellow Taco enthusiasts! :D I am in need of a bit of advice. A good friend of mine "had" a 2007 Tacoma 4x2 Access Cab with only 50k miles on it. It was in literally show-room condition, and had been driven like a grandma would. :D

Sadly for him, someone ran a red light leaving a parking lot..and smashed into his front right wheel. It was a smaller car, but my friend was going about 50mph..so, the impact was enough to bend the wheel out of position. The insurance company is totaling his vehicle and giving him $19,200. Seems like a good deal for him..but wondering if I could turn it into a good deal for me too! hahaha.

I am thinking about acquiring the salvage title and truck from him in the hopes of fixing it for drastically less than the collision company's quote (which I have a copy of). Salvage value $3,861.

I think my main question is..does it REALLY need a new frame?? -That is the main expense in this quote..and the sole reason it is "not worth fixing"

I understand that without looking under the car I cant be 100% certain how bent it is, but I did briefly look at the truck..and to me, it doesn't look like the damage is terribly extensive. The truck took 90% of the impact at like a 60-70 degree angle right in front of..and then into the wheel/tire. The bumper cover broke, and the rear of the wheel well and fender is a bit damaged, just enough to not let the passenger door open/close. No radiator dmg, no hood dmg, no door dmg.

The collision center calls it a "diamond condition" for the frame..but I know frame straightening technology has gotten a lot better..what with all the fancy computers and lazers.. You guys think there is any hope?? Because..a local junkyard has the whole upper/lower ctrl arms, knuckle, wheel bearing, etc that I would need for pretty cheap. And, I have a different friend who can put it all on for some comradery and plenty of beers. But, replacing the whole frame is a different story... XD

Maybe I can turn this back into an 07 Taco that drives like new for around or under $7k!? ...who's with me!?! hahaha. But seriously, anyone wanna take a blind guess of if it will be possible to straighten this frame? Also, if I take some pictures from underneath...a good frame person should be able to tell if he can do it..yeah? Or shall I call and try to have someone from the shop come to the yard where the truck is and look for himself?

Thanks for any and all advice!! Hoping to become a fellow Tacoma owner soon :D

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  2. Aug 25, 2013 at 10:47 AM
    RAD

RAD Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Rad
    LAX & LOGAN
    I'd get pictures of the frame work and bring it to a few places to see if it can be repaired. Think about the titling on the vehicle as well as insurance before taking this on as well. I'd also check your state law when it comes to salvage vehicles. The frame is very important to be straight.

I'm guessing your buy back is in the neighborhood of $4,000-$6,000 based upon insurance company percentage of 20-30%.

You can buy the Tacoma and repair parts with nicely used aftermarket parts as well. I've love to take a salvaged rear damaged Tacoma and turn it into a play toy. . .

Good luck and Happy Sunday

3. Aug 25, 2013 at 10:51 AM
    zeekevin

zeekevin Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    where are you located? any pictures of the damages?. if anything i may be interested in the truck if you if dont end up getting it

4. Aug 25, 2013 at 11:27 AM
    AnamolyDetected

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 Taco 4x2, 50k miles
    Passenger front accident..frame damage..needs bumper, fender, wheel, and suspension.
    LOL..replies within 7min..that's awesome! :)

Thanks for the advice RAD, I will double check the titling and insurance.

Kevin, the truck is in Longmont, CO. I won't have pictures until tomorrow about this time of day. I think I will go straight to a couple body shops with the pictures and see if the frame can be straightened by them or not. IF it can't be done, my friend wants to just get his check for the total loss tomorrow before business hours are over. So, that won't leave you much of a time window unfortunately.

Thanks guys, and any other advice/recommendations are certainly appreciated! Hopefully I will get to start a salvage/repair thread soon! :D

5. Aug 25, 2013 at 11:28 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Welcome

:popcorn:

6. Aug 27, 2013 at 9:03 AM
    AnamolyDetected

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 Taco 4x2, 50k miles
    Just to finish the thread...

I took pictures of the underside and went to 3 body shops that told me I should put a different frame on. I don't know anyone who would swap frames for me..so I'd have to pay full labor at a shop..So, for me, that is a deal breaker. And, my friend was anxious to get his check... Sorry I couldn't try to save it for anyone else.

Thanks again everyone for the input and advice!
    Guess I will keep on the hunt, eventually I will find a great deal on a Tacoma..haha.

Products Discussed in

To Top