Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

why is it that all of the camper shells with the cool features look crappy?

Old 08-27-2013, 01:33 PM   #42
Mofirejeff is on a distinguished road

Name: Jeff
Mofirejeff's Tacoma Gallery
shell

I like my leer shell. Got it on here used. Still looks great.
Attached Thumbnails
why is it that all of the camper shells with the cool features look crappy?-20130806_214930.jpg  
Old 08-27-2013, 01:51 PM   #43
Douchebag, or just douche if we're friends
monkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Signal Corps
monkeyface's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, form vs function. I don't give a damn about form, all I care about is function. I would have bought the awesome Leer 122 again except with this new truck it wouldn't clear my garage door after I put a little lift on it and larger diameter tires. Had to settle for the Leer 180 with a 5" rise over cab height. Would have liked to have the 10" rise on the Leer 122, but I like to keep the truck garaged with all the hail, snow, below zero temps we get here.

I might have been able to sneak the 122 in the way the truck sits now, but it was too much of a gamble. Maybe in the future if I keep the truck the same way it is I'll try to swap to a 122.
Old 08-27-2013, 01:52 PM   #44
Southbound
Westside has a spectacular aura aboutWestside has a spectacular aura about
Name: JT
Westside's Tacoma Gallery
+ 1 more for the Leer

Old 08-27-2013, 02:12 PM   #45
Do it Dont talk about it
Ryan Tucker is on a distinguished road
Name: Ryan
Ryan Tucker's Tacoma Gallery
Just got my ARE CX and couldn't be happier with it so far. Sure fits the truck well. IMO the min. (have to's ) are carpet and sliding/fold down front glass, for easy cleaning of the truck and toppers glass. Plus the ARE CX is shaped well at the rear like a SungTop, a more rounded off look. Mine was ~1400 installed, Im happy with the color match also

Ryan
Old 08-27-2013, 02:17 PM   #46
GTOJim is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTOJim is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTOJim is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTOJim is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTOJim is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTOJim is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTOJim is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTOJim is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTOJim is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTOJim is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTOJim is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jim
GTOJim's Tacoma Gallery
+1 Snugtop Rebel

Paid $1,528 installed plus sales tax. Has sliding, fold down window for cleaning back of cab, sliding side windows with screens and carpet. The inside light is fused, connected to battery.

One thing I like is the handle on the rear glass goes almost flush so the less than honest people have less to grab on to, to jerk it open. Very common around here on older shells that have the handle sticking out to be damaged from being broken into.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:17 PM   #47
ndub86 will become famous soon enoughndub86 will become famous soon enough
Name: Neal
ndub86's Tacoma Gallery
As it stands right now, for a combination of form and function, I think I'm going to go with skidooman's Rebel with vented windoors. However, adding a reinforced roof, rails, and a rack will likely put it over what I wanted to spend by about $700.

Thanks for all the input!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidooman View Post
Mine looks crappy??
SnugTop Rebel FTMFW!!!!!

Old 08-27-2013, 02:22 PM   #48
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndub86 View Post
As it stands right now, for a combination of form and function, I think I'm going to go with skidooman's Rebel with vented windoors. However, adding a reinforced roof, rails, and a rack will likely put it over what I wanted to spend by about $700.

congrats to skidoo! what does he win!?
Old 08-27-2013, 02:27 PM   #49
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TJ
skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavis0076 View Post
congrats to skidoo! what does he win!?
Old 08-27-2013, 02:30 PM   #50
ndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: NICK
ndcmack's Tacoma Gallery

Another vote for Leer. Love mine
Old 08-27-2013, 02:30 PM   #51
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidooman View Post

Speech, Speech!!
Old 08-27-2013, 02:45 PM   #52
FlagRS is on a distinguished road
FlagRS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

ndub,
I ordered an XtraVision with fold down front window and pet screens from Mountaineer Campers in Tempe for $2,300 OTD. I have been waiting for it to come in, hopefully this week. Mountaineer Campers seems to be a low key mom and pop shop, I think they have been there since like 1968. I'm sure you know there is a $100 coupon on the SnugTop website too.

BTW - my Taco is a '06 Access cab 6' bed.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:49 PM   #53
bamma is on a distinguished road

bamma's Tacoma Gallery
The snugtop is a well built shell, but the window cutouts are way to small on the sides leaving too much fiberglass. They look really weird. ARE is probably the best looking/quality combo. I had a leer on my 07 and it was perfect. Never had any issue.

Leer are so much cheaper to buy that is what I went with. I've heard horror stories about them but mine was waterproof and held up really well, even with putting 150+lbs of gear on top week after week.

I put a leer on my new truck too. Great shell. Looks great and has a great price.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:52 PM   #54
Bad Spuller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamma View Post
The snugtop is a well built shell, but the window cutouts are way to small on the sides leaving too much fiberglass. They look really weird. ARE is probably the best looking/quality combo. I had a leer on my 07 and it was perfect. Never had any issue.

Leer are so much cheaper to buy that is what I went with. I've heard horror stories about them but mine was waterproof and held up really well, even with putting 150+lbs of gear on top week after week.

I put a leer on my new truck too. Great shell. Looks great and has a great price.

this is why snugtop offers the xtra vision bigger windows.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:53 PM   #55
Banned
SoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
SoCaltaco65's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blasphemous View Post
I like the red one a lot better than the silver one.
Id purchase the red one as well, it really doesn't look bad the built in top rack is nice, looks like a camper shell.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:57 PM   #56
ndub86's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlagRS View Post
ndub,
I ordered an XtraVision with fold down front window and pet screens from Mountaineer Campers in Tempe for $2,300 OTD. I have been waiting for it to come in, hopefully this week. Mountaineer Campers seems to be a low key mom and pop shop, I think they have been there since like 1968. I'm sure you know there is a $100 coupon on the SnugTop website too.

BTW - my Taco is a '06 Access cab 6' bed.
Yea I saw the coupon, was thinking of giving them a call for a quote. Thanks!
Old 08-27-2013, 03:01 PM   #57
ndub86's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamma View Post

Yes, that's definitely something to think about. I figured I'd get a better feel for the size and how it really looks in person (hoping they would have one to look at the local dealer). Also, the ARE is cheaper too for all the features. As someone else mentioned though, I really like the rain gutter feature of the Snugtop and I also like how it fully covers the bedrails. Although, I have a silver streak tacoma and black on silver looks good IMO, so the exposed bedrails probably wouldn't bother me as much.

Quote:
this is why snugtop offers the xtra vision bigger windows.
Yes, but they don't have the option for windoors

The more I think about it, I want the windoors over sliding windows.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:03 PM   #58
OneWheelDrive is one of the sharper tools in the shedOneWheelDrive is one of the sharper tools in the shedOneWheelDrive is one of the sharper tools in the shedOneWheelDrive is one of the sharper tools in the shedOneWheelDrive is one of the sharper tools in the shedOneWheelDrive is one of the sharper tools in the shedOneWheelDrive is one of the sharper tools in the shedOneWheelDrive is one of the sharper tools in the shedOneWheelDrive is one of the sharper tools in the shedOneWheelDrive is one of the sharper tools in the shedOneWheelDrive is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter
OneWheelDrive's Tacoma Gallery
After months of looking, I ordered the Snugtop Xtra Vision as well. It has keyless entry linked to the keyfob, full length sliding windows, carpeted headliner, insect screens and pet screens, and the boot on the front that seals to the cab (not an additional window, which makes it tough to clean). I've slept in it with my custom sleeping platform dozens of time, several times with my GF, in total comfort. Also, it's insulated so it stays very cool in the summer with the windows open so my dog can hang out in there comfortably. $2100 OTD ordered direct from the MFG, self installed.

Old 08-27-2013, 03:17 PM   #59
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
why would he want a leaky cap?
better not get the one you have then
Old 08-27-2013, 03:20 PM   #60
Bad Spuller

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
better not get the one you have then